PDA

View Full Version : They were getting slight pots odds, but would you do this?

Webnasty
06-07-2005, 03:49 PM
This hand crippled me in a online tourney. Top 17 spots got WSOP seats, 18-30 got cash.

We're less than 10 spots from the money. I had been treading water around 10BBs. I was getting below average cards all tourney, but made some timely blind steals to stay afloat.

I was in the BB with about $5,800, blinds are $300/$600, antes $50. It is folded around to the SB, who had about $5,450. They raised it to $1,800. My gut tells me they are trying a steal. I just know they are. I have A5s, good enough to go over the top all-in to thwart the steal, which I do. Without hesitating they call. They flip over 68o. Sweet. Flop brings an 8 and I was down to $350 and crippled.

So with $8,650 in the pot they are getting a little over 2-1 pot odds. When I go over the top of them, they have to realize that best case scenerio for them they are a 3-2 dog. Take the bad initial steal attempt aside, would you make their call at such slim odds? Or would you fold the 68o and keep your $3,650 and hope for a better chance to double up so close to the money?

Thanks,
Web

pineapple888
06-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Me? I'd probably call, because of a combination of the following reasons:

1.) Pot odds, like you said.

2.) Not all that close to the money.

3.) Playing for the WSOP seat anyway, and definitely not close enough to that.

4.) Future table image if I win.

5.) Crippled if I fold.

5.) F it, let's do this!

Webnasty
06-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I was pretty surprised at the time. But the more I thought about it afterwards the more I realized it was not as crazy a move as I initially thought when I saw that 68o. Once they went in for the steal they must have figured they were pot committed.

augie00
06-07-2005, 06:53 PM
The villian should have folded PF. Or moved all in. Villian sucks.

But since he made such an idiotic raise pf, he has no choice but to call now.

Lloyd
06-07-2005, 07:45 PM
2 to 1 odds makes calling with trash the correct decision. But as previously mentioned, they should have just pushed or folded. You should have thought about the pot odds prior to pushing. Not that you shouldn't have done so but you need to understand that they will call and you're at best a 3-2 favorite.

bruce
06-07-2005, 09:32 PM
If I were SB I would instacall. From SB's perspective it's unlikely he is dominated and he is probably a 5:3 dog. You
had the best hand, but you were outflopped. From your perspective, you probably have the best hand, but you have
to figure your opponent at the minimum has a card bigger than a Five and smaller than an Ace, so you will have to
sweat the outcome.

Bruce

Webnasty
06-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys. I understand it better now.