PDA

View Full Version : Diet Coke - Sweetened with Splenda

IndieMatty
06-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Holy schnikkes. It actually tastes pretty much like real coke.

wayabvpar
06-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Really? I have always loathed Diet Coke (I am enjoying a Diet Pepsi as we speak), but Coke is by far my favorite sweetened soft drink. If they can make the Diet taste like Classic without the sweetener causing me to go blind or grow a third testicle or something, I am all over it.

The4Aces
06-07-2005, 03:34 PM
coke zero is coming out soon. it is supposed to taste EXACTLY like normal coke with 0 calories.

jakethebake
06-07-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they can make the Diet taste like Classic without the sweetener causing me to go blind or grow a third testicle or something, I am all over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think they've made any promises about your testicles.

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Yea I was about to say.. artificial sweeteners aren't too good for you.. They'll burn your testies and soon you won't be able to reproduce.

Blackjack

pshreck
06-07-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
coke zero is coming out soon. it is supposed to taste EXACTLY like normal coke with 0 calories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like pepsi one did.

wayabvpar
06-07-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea I was about to say.. artificial sweeteners aren't too good for you.. They'll burn your testies and soon you won't be able to reproduce.

Blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

So I can lose weight and bang hot chicks without knocking them up? My wife will be thrilled for me /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

IndieMatty
06-07-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What did they have already like that? It had some calories though? Like 50?

brassnuts
06-07-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What did they have already like that? It had some calories though? Like 50?

[/ QUOTE ]

No that was coke one half.

MrWookie47
06-07-2005, 03:48 PM
I've been drinking C2 for a while now to mind my boyish figure. I like regular coke a little better, but I figured I should watch my empty calorie intake. I've heard about Coke 0, but when I saw Diet Coke with Splenda, I figured that Coke 0 had gotten renamed. I haven't tried it, but I want to. Do you know what the difference is supposed to be between Diet Coke with splenda and Coke 0?

06-07-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like pepsi one did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pepsi One is the best. I drink like 8 cans of it a day. That's 8 calories to you and me. And like 52 trillion servings of caffeine.

IndieMatty
06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been drinking C2 for a while now to mind my boyish figure. I like regular coke a little better, but I figured I should watch my empty calorie intake. I've heard about Coke 0, but when I saw Diet Coke with Splenda, I figured that Coke 0 had gotten renamed. I haven't tried it, but I want to. Do you know what the difference is supposed to be between Diet Coke with splenda and Coke 0?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you are right. Based on how poor C2 did. It would make sense to go in a different direction with DC/Splenda.

Soul Daddy
06-07-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Holy schnikkes. It actually tastes pretty much like real coke.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya think? I thought it tasted pretty much like Diet Coke, only less aftertaste. I like Diet Coke though, so that's a good thing.

I saw the Coke Zero yesterday, but I didn't buy it.

Ulysses
06-07-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you are right. Based on how poor C2 did. It would make sense to go in a different direction with DC/Splenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coca-Cola North America today announced that it will introduce Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda® in the United States in the second quarter of 2005.
Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda will be the seventh addition to the
Diet Coke family, which includes the flagship Diet Coke, America’s #1 diet soft drink, plus Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Diet Coke with Lime, Diet Coke with Lemon, Diet Cherry Coke, and Diet Vanilla Coke.
“Many consumers told us they liked the taste of Splenda and wanted a Splenda-sweetened option under the Diet Coke brand, so we’re obliging them,” said Dan Dillon, Jr., vice president, Diet Portfolio, Coca-Cola North America. “The millions of current Diet Coke devotees across America shouldn’t be concerned – the Diet Coke they love will stay just as it is.”
The launch of Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda follows the successful roll out one year ago of Diet Coke with Lime, which has become the #1 flavored diet cola in America. The launch continues a year of innovation for
The Coca-Cola Company which will include a range of offerings across all beverage categories.
Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda will feature a blend of Splenda and acesulfame potassium (ace-k) for optimal taste. It will be available in a range of package sizes and will be supported by a variety of marketing programs. Further details on launch plans will be made available closer to the introduction.

--

Coca-Cola North America today announced that it will introduce Coca-Cola Zero, a new zero-calorie cola, in the United States in June.
“Coca-Cola Zero is exactly what young adults told us they wanted – real Coca-Cola taste, zero calories and a new brand they can call their own,” said Dan Dillon, vice president, Diet Portfolio, Coca-Cola North America. “Young people today do not want to compromise on flavor or calories and we think
Coca-Cola Zero’s taste and personality will appeal to them.”
Coca-Cola Zero will be supported by an extensive marketing campaign including television, radio, print, and out-of-home advertising, on-line activation, and sampling programs. “Coca-Cola Zero’s personality will be different than any of our other brands, and our marketing will reflect that with some fresh ideas we haven’t tried before,” said Christine Holland, director of marketing,
Coca-Cola Zero. Further details on marketing plans will be made available closer to the introduction.
For the curious who can’t wait until June for their first taste of
Coca-Cola Zero, a special Coca-Cola Zero sample pack will be listed on eBay, the World’s Online Marketplace, in early April. All proceeds from the listing will be donated to charity. The sample pack will come with six unique bottles of Coca-Cola Zero and limited edition Coca-Cola Zero-branded premiums. The charity auction marks the first time The Coca-Cola Company has offered any new product on eBay prior to launching it nationally. For further information on the charity auction visit the Coca-Cola Zero website at www.cocacolazero.com. (http://www.cocacolazero.com.)
Coca-Cola Zero will be sweetened with a blend of aspartame and acesulfame potassium (ace-k), and will be available in a broad range of package sizes. The launch of Coca-Cola Zero will have no impact on Coca-Cola North America’s ongoing support for Diet Coke, America’s #1 diet soft drink, as the target audiences are different.

IndieMatty
06-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Obviously some one with too much time on their hands. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Thank's for clearing that up. SO it's this acesulfame potassium (ace-k)that is giving it the better cola taste.

Chemical goodness!

nolanfan34
06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Mmmmmmmm......acesulfame potassium (ace-k)........

Ulysses
06-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure how much of the flavor is due to splenda/aspartame/ace-k vs. flavorings. However it sounds like they are trying to make Coke Zero taste the most like regular coke. I hate Diet Coke and love Coke (except since I stopped drinking sodas regularly a long time ago I find it way too sweet to drink much), so I'm hoping maybe I'll like one of these two new varieties.

Jakesta
06-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Why would someone drink this instead of the regular Diet Coke sweetened with aspartame?

IndieMatty
06-07-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would someone drink this instead of the regular Diet Coke sweetened with aspartame?

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposedly splenda is better for you. It also tastes completely different from diet coke.

Jakesta
06-07-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposedly splenda is better for you. It also tastes completely different from diet coke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the only artificial sweetener that is bad for you is saccharin. Aspartame has been proven to be completely safe, as has Splenda. So taste would be the only reason to drink the Splenda over the aspartame. I myself prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular Coke anyway, so I think I will stick with the Nutrasweet version.

IndieMatty
06-07-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the only artificial sweetener that is bad for you is saccharin. Aspartame has been proven to be completely safe, as has Splenda. So taste would be the only reason to drink the Splenda over the aspartame. I myself prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular Coke anyway, so I think I will stick with the Nutrasweet version.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't find it right now. But all those atkins/south beach/belly off books say to use splenda instead of aspartame. I don't know why.

MrWookie47
06-07-2005, 04:46 PM
You can't bake with aspartame. Splenda is chemically closer to real sugar, so it reacts to heat in a similar manner.

Jakesta
06-07-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't find it right now. But all those atkins/south beach/belly off books say to use splenda instead of aspartame. I don't know why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wookie hit on one of the reasons the books say that. The other reason is that aspartame can give you hunger pangs.

MrWookie47
06-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Interesting. Are you suggesting that aspartame = THC?

Jakesta
06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Are you suggesting that aspartame = THC?

[/ QUOTE ]

No lol. THC is not the only chemical that gives you the munchies.

Oski
06-07-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mmmmmmmm......acesulfame potassium (ace-k)........

[/ QUOTE ]

"Sweetened by Big Slick."

The Stranger
06-09-2005, 09:35 PM
bump

Alex/Mugaaz
06-13-2005, 07:00 AM
I drink 4+ liters of diet coke a day. Without a doubt the best is Diet Coke with lime. The new splenda stuff is better than regular DC, but DC with lime is the best ever. I'd rather go without sex than DC with lime.

Joseph Busti
06-13-2005, 07:18 AM
For some reason I disliked the Splenda sweetened Diet Coke. Maybe it's my dislike for change, I dont know.

Joseph Busti
06-13-2005, 07:20 AM
The only flavored Coke/Pepsi I ever seemed to like was vanilla. Diet Vanilla Pepsi is g00t.

Blarg
06-13-2005, 07:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck for Coke Zero. I don't like either the nasty headache too much aspartame can give nor sugar, so trading one for the other doesn't do me any good.

I'm a decades long major coca cola fanatic, and I'm trying to cut back because pounding down all that sugar is probably going to give me early diabetes or something, plus whenever I cut back on it for a while, I feel much better without the sugar and my waist firms up.

I don't need the caffeine or the sugar, and aspartame gets me headaches if I drink more than about 1 1/2 cans. I need a zero calorie, zero aspartame, and preferably zero caffeine version. I love the carbonation and the basic cola flavor, but man, Coke has bad crap in it.

So now I'm wondering about this [ QUOTE ]
Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda will feature a blend of Splenda and acesulfame potassium (ace-k) for optimal taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find aspartame cloying and too sweet. What's Splenda like in comparison?

Blarg
06-13-2005, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I drink 4+ liters of diet coke a day. Without a doubt the best is Diet Coke with lime. The new splenda stuff is better than regular DC, but DC with lime is the best ever. I'd rather go without sex than DC with lime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez, that sounds like a full-on suicide mission, bro. Even 4+ liters of water is a fair amount of liquid. I'm not sure I'd feel safe putting 4+ liters of most anything down my gullet each day.

blaze666
06-13-2005, 12:16 PM
it tastes just like sugar
it looks like sugar
it's MADE from suger <----------------

surley that means that it is sugar, but with chemicals and stuff in right?

Dangergirl
06-13-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw this at Walmart yesterday but did not buy any to try out. I prefer diet pepsi over diet coke.

meep_42
06-13-2005, 12:31 PM
How is SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener made?
SPLENDA® is the brand name for the ingredient sucralose. It is made through a patented, multi-step process that starts with sugar and converts it to a no calorie, non-carbohydrate sweetener. The process selectively replaces three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule with three chlorine atoms. Chlorine is present naturally in many of the foods and beverages that we eat and drink every day ranging from lettuce, mushrooms and table salt. In the case of sucralose, its addition converts sucrose to sucralose, which is essentially inert. The result is an exceptionally stable sweetener that tastes like sugar, but without sugar’s calories. After consumption, sucralose passes through the body without being broken down for energy, so it has no calories, and the body does not recognize it as a carbohydrate.

Source: www.splenda.com (http://www.splenda.com)

-d

boedeker
06-13-2005, 12:55 PM
i tried the diet coke splenda yesterday. i didn't like it. i think its worse than diet coke, but i used to think diet coke was undrinkable. maybe it takes time to get used to it.

wayabvpar
06-13-2005, 01:11 PM
I tried it over the weekend. The Splenda DC tastes better than regular DC (which I hate), but not nearly as good as the good ol' sugar-y Coke. Not a bad substitute for Diet, however.

Add me to the list of folks who want a diet cola with no sugar, no aspartame, and no caffeine. In a variety of lemon, lime, vanilla, etc flavors too.

Nottom
06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
I picked up one of the new Coke Zeros from a gas station yesterday. It was better than a normal Diet Coke IMO (although I think Diet Coke is absolutely terrible) since it didn't really have that nasty aftertaste most diet drink do; however, it didn't taste much like coke either. I guess it sort of tasted like a watered down coke, but it really was just kind of bleh.

I still need to try the Splenda stuff and see if that is acceptable for me. I've been a huge soda junkie for most of my life and have decided to do my best to cut back on all the empty calories, but I just can't stand most of the diet drinks on the market and would love to find one I can drink when I want something with actual taste (as opposed to water).