PDA

View Full Version : Is heads up poker beatable under these conditions

Petyos
01-04-2003, 12:09 PM
Limit: 3-6, rake capped at 1 dollar(50 cent at 20 and another 50 cents at 40 dollars)
Thanks

Robk
01-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Heads up poker is just about always beatable if you're better than the other guy.

Boris
01-06-2003, 08:56 PM
that's about $100/hour coming off the table in rake + tokes. How much money can the other guy have? How in the hell are you going to get lucky enough to win that money before the house gets it? Your deluding yourself if you think you're that much better than the other guy. Unless I'm trying to get a game going, I only play short handed if there is a time charge.

Glenn
01-06-2003, 11:22 PM
Boris,

These are the conditions at the Paradise 3-6 heads up tables. It is very very beatable for an excellent player. I have numbers that prove this with better than 99.9% certainty.

Glenn

Boris
01-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Well if you're winning money that's all that's important. I've never played the Paradise heads up tables so maybe I'm talking out my ass. I lost $1200 playing 10-20 at Paradise and I've never really cared to try and get it back.

Andy B
01-13-2003, 02:16 AM
If you are a good heads-up player, and your opponent is not, the rake should be easy enough to overcome. A lot of pots won't make it to $20, and few will make it to $40. The fact that you're asking leads me to believe that you may not be a good heads-up player, for some reason.

Petyos
01-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Just to follow up on that. I ran simulations on the Wilson software and under those condition it is not beatable. I put a tight agressive up against a loose passive and the tight guy was still in the red. Even when the cap was only fifty cents it didnt show promising results. Though a slight winner. The only way it was profitable was with time charge(ten bucks per hour)
I know the Wilson software is not all that realistic, though pretty good, it kinda shows that with low limits the house will end up with all the money.
Anyone care to show otherwise.
Thanks

Andy B
01-15-2003, 02:15 AM
The optimal strategy for heads-up play is going to be pretty loose-aggressive. I haven't played much with the Wilson software, but I wouldn't place a whole lot of stock in those results. Why don't you play one of those opponents heads-up and see if you can beat it and the rake? After all, it's going to be you, not the program, playing in that game. I must confess that I've never played heads-up hold'em smaller than $6/12. I do think that I could beat a typical opponent at $3/6 given those parameters, though.

Glenn
01-15-2003, 04:02 AM
Turbo is wrong. I said 99.9% in my last post off the top of my head. The actual confidence number more like 99.9999933%.

Nepa
01-16-2003, 12:45 AM
I would suggest reading HPFAP the heads up section.

Robk
01-21-2003, 10:49 PM
HU is beatable under any conditions if someone just folds his blinds too often, right? You are forced to make so many decisions that a slight edge in judgement is a usually big enough to overcome the rake.