PDA

View Full Version : Erstad vs. Estrada

Los Feliz Slim
06-07-2005, 02:19 PM
What are your thoughts on Darrin Erstad's hit on Johnny Estrada yesterday?

kyro
06-07-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts on Darrin Erstad's hit on Johnny Estrada yesterday?

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed it. I'd like to check it out tonight.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Where's the option for something like "it was awesome" or "the best play of the week/month/year" or "I wish this would happen more often"?

jakethebake
06-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Was this in the spelling bee?

ClaytonN
06-07-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm a braves fan, and I see no problem with it. Erstad ran him over with no intent to give Estrada brain damage or a dislocated shoulder.

It's baseball. Nothing wrong with running over the catcher.

Los Feliz Slim
06-07-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where's the option for something like "it was awesome" or "the best play of the week/month/year" or "I wish this would happen more often"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't occur to me, but I thought that he had the entire back half of the plate open and he didn't need to go the bulldozer route. The Angels need Erstad healthy more than they needed that run, and if he separates his shoulder on that play he looks pretty stupid.

The rest of the series should be interesting, however, b/c the Braves are going to be looking for some payback.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 02:37 PM
I love these plays. I was a catcher when I played ball and I loved it when someone tried to bowl me over. I loved it even more when I had the same opportunity for myself. Then again, I also like to play a physical style of hockey, so I may be a bit pre-disposed to this stuff.

andyfox
06-07-2005, 02:50 PM
I don't understand why it's OK for the catcher to block access to the plate; it can't be done at any other base. If the catcher blocks the plate, he's fair game, especially considering he has all that protection on. If he's trying to block you from getting to the base, it's fine with me to try to unblock things.

jakethebake
06-07-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love these plays. I was a catcher when I played ball and I loved it when someone tried to bowl me over. I loved it even more when I had the same opportunity for myself. Then again, I also like to play a physical style of hockey, so I may be a bit pre-disposed to this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

You crazy rocket scientists. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kerssens
06-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Pete Rose is loved for doing the same thing in an all-star game when it is unnecessary. I have no problem with Erstad's play.

BWebb
06-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Totally fine and I wish the pussies would do it more often. The other day, I saw Bradley go in standing up when he had the opportunity for the same play. That guy wants to stand in front of the plate, he's fair game.

jakethebake
06-07-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why it's OK for the catcher to block access to the plate; it can't be done at any other base.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the rules say so.

Pocket Trips
06-07-2005, 03:00 PM
what a misleading thread title!!!!!

I expected to see pics of Darrin Erstad beating the crap out of Eric Estrada of CHIPS fame with a bat!

BreakfastBurrito
06-07-2005, 03:16 PM
I could be mistaken, but I thought on that play that he wasn't blocking the plate. I thought that was the issue.

cold_cash
06-07-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why it's OK for the catcher to block access to the plate; it can't be done at any other base. If the catcher blocks the plate, he's fair game, especially considering he has all that protection on. If he's trying to block you from getting to the base, it's fine with me to try to unblock things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Infielders can try to block runners if they want to, as long as they have the ball.

Usually this is done by the shortstop or second baseman putting his leg in front of the bag and having the runner slide into it instead of the base.

As you might have guessed they don't do this often because metal spikes in the leg is kind of a downer. It's within the rules though.

wayabvpar
06-07-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could be mistaken, but I thought on that play that he wasn't blocking the plate. I thought that was the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read the description, I voted acceptable. After seeing the play, I think it was cheap. The entire back half (or 3/4) of the plate was readily available for a slide. He would have scored without half-killing the catcher.

That being said, it was a pretty sweet hit.

Los Feliz Slim
06-07-2005, 03:51 PM
I think a lot of people are saying it's totally fine without having seen the play, because as I see it Estrada wasn't blocking the plate. It looks to me like Erstad went out of his way to put the hit on. They aren't going to show this on the replays, but after the collision Erstad returns to the Angels' dugout as a conquering hero, high-fiving and arm-bumping everybody in sight, and exhibits absolutely zero concern for the guy he just creamed.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 03:55 PM
I saw the play and it was awesome. Yes, he probably could have slid and got the same end result on the scoreboard. However, it's most likely that the decision was made to go in shoulder first somewhere up the basepath when it looked like the plate was going to be blocked further and at some point, you're committed and you're not going to be able to slide any more.