PDA

View Full Version : Help With My Résumé

Tron
06-07-2005, 01:04 PM
I need help writing the qualifications section for my résumé. I am applying for a job at a sports marketing firm.

I have only held a couple of menial summer jobs in years past, so I don't have any job-related qualifications to post. I am only one year out of high school and maintained a 4.0 during high school and have a respectable GPA now.

Let's see... I'm a quick learner especially when it comes to technology, I'm very personable, I'm enthusiastic.

Any tips on writing a solid qualifications section without any real work experience?

pshreck
06-07-2005, 01:07 PM
I assume this is for an internship?

tbach24
06-07-2005, 01:08 PM
How do you do the special e's?

Tron
06-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Indeed it is.

My main problem is that I've never done one of these before and I'm unfamiliar with the format. Are you allowed to use the first person, etc?

Tron
06-07-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now I'm on a Mac, so I just press alt+E ... I don't know how to do it on PCs.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Do you not have a career center/counselor or similar office at your school?

Tron
06-07-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my school is in California and I'm in Colorado right now... Plus I had anticipated working another shitty job at Home Depot or something so I wasn't worried about resume writing. But then this came along, and I'm trying to seize the opportunity.

pshreck
06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
First person is correct for your objective statement, I think.

Make sure you write down all your BS computer skills that everyone between 12 and 24 has. Althought I never understood why it matters, adults are impressed with this (because things like Powerpoint are 'extremely hard' for them to use).

If you are using any hs info, be light with it, because you dont want them to connect you too much with a highschool kid. Maybe just GPA and be done with it (and anything relevant to the field).

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my school is in California and I'm in Colorado right now... Plus I had anticipated working another shitty job at Home Depot or something so I wasn't worried about resume writing. But then this came along, and I'm trying to seize the opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]
So by "one year out of college", you actually mean you just finished your freshman year and not that you graduated a year ago? I'd say someone looking at a freshman's resume is going to expect that there's not going to be a whole lot there. He's going to want to see what you've done in school and what it is about you that shows you have good potential. Go easy on the high school stuff and you don't need to list all the activities you were vice president or treasurer of. List the relavent activities and call it good. I wouldn't worry about not having 5 years experience in the field because that's not what they're looking for anyway.

Just curious, but what part of CO are you in? I'm in Littleton.

Tron
06-07-2005, 01:22 PM
Oops, I meant one year out of high school... Better check if I can still edit that.

I'm in Evergreen.

spamuell
06-07-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When num lock is on, hold down alt and type 0233 on the num pad (on the right, not above the letters) and then remove your hand from alt. 0233 is the ascii code for é, this works with the ascii code for any letter/symbol.

Oski
06-07-2005, 01:31 PM
Resumeis only for listing past jobs, education, notable achievements, and personal hobbies/skills/interests.

You don't get much room for creativity on the resume. However, you will need to draft a cover letter crafted for this particular job opportunity. Here, you can explain why you are interested in this job, why you will be an asset to their business, etc.

Again, don't get too fancy on the resume, you might get called on it.

spamuell
06-07-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Make sure you write down all your BS computer skills that everyone between 12 and 24 has.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice.

Also, make sure when writing about activities/societies, you include any skills you gained from that. I don't know what your "menial summer jobs" were but I'm sure you can say they helped develop stuff like:

- Teaching the importance of reliability
- Enhancing your organisational skills
- Learning to work in a group and realising that both hard work and sociability are important in an office environment
- Writing formal/succint letters
- Filing
- Honing your now excellent communication skills
- Developing your telephone manner
- Demonstrating the importance of analysing situations and attention to detail in order to increase efficency.

I mean obviously it depends what your jobs were and what activites you were involved in but you can probably work stuff like this in. I'd suggest you briefly mention the societies etc because you don't want them to think of you as a child, but put a lot of emphasis on jobs and what you learned.

Disclaimer: This just seems to me like it would be the right thing to do. I don't really know what I'm talking about though.

Talk2BigSteve
06-07-2005, 01:37 PM
• Highly competitive, self starter who is organized, disciplined and goal-oriented.
• Excellent communication skills demonstrated by ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds. Listen to determine needs of customers before offering a solution. Quickly establish a rapport with clients.
• Experienced in providing written and oral presentations. Resourceful and committed. Versatile and adaptable.
• Able to coordinate multiple projects and meet deadlines under pressure.
• Personable, articulate, and professional in both appearance and manner.
• Welcome the challenge of solving problems.

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jakethebake
06-07-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right now I'm on a Mac, so I just press alt+E ... I don't know how to do it on PCs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave this off your resume.

Talk2BigSteve
06-07-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL.

Tron
06-07-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Through years of experience, I have attained expert status in use of the Help menu.

Tron
06-07-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
• Highly competitive, self starter who is organized, disciplined and goal-oriented.
• Excellent communication skills demonstrated by ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds. Listen to determine needs of customers before offering a solution. Quickly establish a rapport with clients.
• Experienced in providing written and oral presentations. Resourceful and committed. Versatile and adaptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent, thank you Steve.

pshreck
06-07-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is excellent, thank you Steve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, I thought he was being sarcastic.

Tron
06-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I realize cutting and pasting this would leave me with a resume full of cliches, but I think this is actually a good base to start off of.

pshreck
06-07-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize cutting and pasting this would leave me with a resume full of cliches, but I think this is actually a good base to start off of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a good base to start, but if you put anything similar to that on your resume, the company will likely pin it up somewhere as a joke.

AsiaKurosawa
06-07-2005, 03:38 PM
A cover letter is a saving grace for a light resume and will give your reader a person to connect to (and serve as a non-resume way to exude your enthusiasm for the internship.) Steve's bullets are cool to start with (as long as you have some real-time anchors for them), and a cover letter will help you flesh out how you can/WILL apply your unique qualifications to the rad-ass job you reallyreally want.

Just pulled this from google: http://resume.monster.com/articles/lettersthatsell/

Cover letters, esp for a job out of HS & among candidates of the same level of experience as you, will stand out against a cold resume (as I'm guessing most recent HS grads won't include one-- but my 10 year HS reunion just passed so I really don't know about HS students anymore /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

You can use it to address the job description itself and how you relate to it (even if its not "resume material") too. I'm biased towards their use, but I think they often act as a compliment to a resume that may not quite match the literal or implied qualifications for a job you're searching for.

No matter what, tailor your resume/CL to the job at hand. Esp since you're not shotgunning them out, you have a chance to concentrate on this one job's description to make it stand out to your reader. Always bring your qualifications back to the job at hand or at least make them relevant to it (in a way the reader will see their relevance).

Good luck!!

aK

BadBoyBenny
06-07-2005, 07:04 PM
On top of all the cliche adjectives you could add a skills sectin that lists business skills like being proficient in MS office.

RicktheRuler
06-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Somebody should probably tell you its not

[ QUOTE ]
Résumé

[/ QUOTE ]

its Resumé

Tron
06-07-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody should probably tell you its not

[ QUOTE ]
Résumé

[/ QUOTE ]

its Resumé

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone should probably tell you that you're wrong.

Main Entry: ré·su·mé
Variant(s): or re·su·me or re·su·mé /'re-z&-"mA, "re-z&-' also 'rA- or "rA-/
Function: noun
Etymology: French résumé, from past participle of résumer to resume, summarize, from Middle French resumer
1 : SUMMARY
2 : CURRICULUM VITAE

...Well, partially.

fluorescenthippo
06-08-2005, 05:17 AM
yea both are correct but Resumé is more common

JoshuaD
06-08-2005, 05:27 AM
You're both idiots, just type resume and don't spend 20 minutes looking up fancy characters on your character map.