PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone fix my problem with AIM?

Wynton
06-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Can anyone explain this? On one computer, whenever I try to log onto AIM, the program always freezes up exactly once. I get the message that the program is not responding, close the window and try again. Without fail, the second time I try to log on there is no problem.

My first thought was that this was a firewall issue. I have ZoneLabs Security on this computer. But this problem appears to be occurring regardless of whether Zonelabs is running. And usually when there is an issue with the firewall, I get a message from ZoneLabs indicating that it is blocking access to a particular program, and asking whether I want to permit access. Here, I receive no such message.

And if it were a firewall problem, I don't see why the program would work when I simply open it up and sign on a second time.

Any suggestions?

kipin
06-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Install Trillian.

asofel
06-07-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Install Trillian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

If you really like AIM, you could try installing the latest version over what you have. But try trillian. Its good.

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Get GAIM. I had a similar problem where Aim would crash whenever I tried to IM someone or look at a profile. It would also crash whenever someone IM'ed me and I started to respond.

Blackjack

BusterStacks
06-07-2005, 12:54 PM
download AIM AdHack.

Wynton
06-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Trillian appears to work ok, and I will install Aim Adhack.

But I still find this behavior strange. Can anyone explain in non-tech language why AIM always freezes upon signing in initially, but then always works ok when I repeat the process one more time?

asofel
06-07-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Trillian appears to work ok, and I will install Aim Adhack.

But I still find this behavior strange. Can anyone explain in non-tech language why AIM always freezes upon signing in initially, but then always works ok when I repeat the process one more time?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are often several possibilties as to why programs freeze/crash/etc when in use. It's hard to just say X is the reason without really analyzing things. Something could be corrupt, there could be memory issues, who knows.

BusterStacks
06-07-2005, 01:16 PM
sounds like it's freezing on the "AIM Today" screen which I believe only comes up on initial sign-in.

asofel
06-07-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sounds like it's freezing on the "AIM Today" screen which I believe only comes up on initial sign-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

good call. Forget about that whole "its hard to diagnose from afar" thing I said...

Wynton
06-07-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, this makes sense. I guess I'll see if I can disable that screen from coming up automatically. Thanks.

asofel
06-07-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, this makes sense. I guess I'll see if I can disable that screen from coming up automatically. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can. its in the preferences.