PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting crushed lately... Here's my strategy at 6-handed SNG tbls

Marlow
06-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi,

Short-term results are throwing me off. I’ve started playing 6-handed SNG NL tourneys on PStars and have been first out three times in a row. Below are a few things about my basic strategy. Please let me know if you think I’m off with anything here. Also, if you think there are glaring omissions, please let me know.

-Be careful about getting involved in deep pots within the first few rounds unless I have a fantastic hand.
-In early rounds generally play post-flop with only top pair or better.
-Limp with marginal hands and with position (e.g. QJo on the button, and equivalent hands)
-Once the blinds get up to 25-50 and up, change gears and start playing a little more aggressively, especially pre-flop.
-At these levels, introduce a few blind steals with non-premium hands such as 9Ts, etc.
-With small stack, wait for decent cards (any A, most pairs, two face cards, etc.) in an unrasied pot and push in to double-up or try to pick up blinds.
-With a large stack, lean on the middle-sized stacks, and call down the small stacks with anything reasonable.
-With a medium stack, play a more conservative game against big stacks, play aggressively against other medium stacks.

That’s it in a nutshell. It seems pathetically bad at the moment. Any ideas???

Thanks,
Marlow
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

citanul
06-07-2005, 12:34 PM
this seems like a not very good strategy in a few spots.

notably, calling down the small stack with anything reasonable is just a surefire way to give away chips.

if these are games with 1500 chips, i also think that opening up your stealing ranges at 25/50 is not that necessary.

additionally, you could probably do quite well not limping extra hands with position early on in the game, though the game is certainly more fun and your post flop skills will improve much faster doing those things.

the concept of "if anything is lacking please add it" is pretty laughable, since well, thats the equivalent of "please present me with a surefire strategy of how to beat these tournaments."

for a general grounding in low level sngs, go to the front page of this lobby, click on "views" and then look at the post by benfranklin.

citanul

Marlow
06-07-2005, 01:32 PM
This is very helpful. I'll be sure to check out benfranklin.

Marlow
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Marlow
06-07-2005, 01:43 PM
I can't find that "views" link. Is it on 2+2 home, or tourneys home?

Thanks,
Marlow

citanul
06-07-2005, 02:36 PM
on the front page of each individual forum, there's columns to tell you about the post that you're going to click on, like, subject, poster, views, replies. at the top of each column, there's a link that when clicked on, will sort the threads by that column.

citanul