PDA

View Full Version : Kind of Technical Weightlifing Question

xadrez
06-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Sumo Deadlifts...

Better during Leg Workout, or Back Workout???

bernie
06-07-2005, 11:30 AM
I know what a dead lift is. What the hell is a sumo dead lift?

b

slickpoppa
06-07-2005, 11:33 AM
They work both your legs and back, but you should probably not do them on the same day as a really heavy leg workout cause they will hit your legs hard. However, if you want to use the deadlifts as the core of your leg routine, then you could do it on the same day as legs. Basically, it depends on what else you are doing. If you want to do really heavy squats and leg presses, then do the deadlifts on another day. Also, why are you doing sumo deadlifts? Most people are much more comfortable with traditional deadlifts.

vulturesrow
06-07-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sumo Deadlifts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Either or really. So long as it complements the other lifts.

slickpoppa
06-07-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know what a dead lift is. What the hell is a sumo dead lift?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

A sumo deadlift is when you use a really wide stance and put your arms between your legs as opposed to outside your legs.

ceyoung
06-07-2005, 11:39 AM
most lifters do sumo deadlifts because it is uncomfortable to do regular deadlifts. you'll mostly see tall guys that have trouble getting down to the bar doing sumo deadlifts. as far as any benefit over normal deadlifts, i think its negligable.

xadrez
06-07-2005, 11:52 AM
I like Sumos better as they seem to be awkward to perform. I never could get good form with regualar dealifts, even with low, low weight. I think it might be because my arms are slightly long for my height, I dont know...

As for my current routine I do squats and romanians deadlifts on Fridays (I do the romanian deads with pretty light weight), so I was thinking of putting the Sumo's on Monday, when I do my Chest/Back routine. Of course Id subtract a Back exercise if I added the Sumos...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice thus far...

gvibes
06-07-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sumo Deadlifts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Deadlifts seem to work my back more than my legs (or my back is weaker than my legs...). However, for me, every day (I lift) is a leg day!

xadrez
06-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Leg day is the best, isnt it? Theres nothing better than hobbling out of the gym.

pshreck
06-07-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Leg day is the best, isnt it? Theres nothing better than hobbling out of the gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you are lifting correctly.

ceyoung
06-07-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Sumos better as they seem to be awkward to perform. I never could get good form with regualar dealifts, even with low, low weight. I think it might be because my arms are slightly long for my height, I dont know...

As for my current routine I do squats and romanians deadlifts on Fridays (I do the romanian deads with pretty light weight), so I was thinking of putting the Sumo's on Monday, when I do my Chest/Back routine. Of course Id subtract a Back exercise if I added the Sumos...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the advice thus far...

[/ QUOTE ]

you won't be gaining much by doing deadlifts twice in the same cycle. also, if you are doing compound lifts like deadlifts, squats, etc. i would recommend not doing a chest/back split. chest and back should really have their own days.

cocked&locked
06-07-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been hobbling around work all day today after this morning's leg blast. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Delphin
06-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Do deads on back day, and usually first. I like to do deads followed by pullups and then rows if I feel I need a third exercise.

Squats are a much better workout for hitting the legs than deads. And if you need another excercise for working out your legs after you are done with squats then you are squatting incorrectly or with insufficient weight. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Spladle Master
06-07-2005, 05:09 PM
It doesn't really matter. I do sumo deadlifts during my back workout and Romanian deadlifts during my hamstring workout.