PDA

View Full Version : I just saw that tazer video.

The once and future king
06-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Have to say if that was aired in the UK there would be national outrage with the dismissal of the policeman invovled allmost a certaintity.

It seems a strange cultural differance that americans will accepts such brutality just to exit a woman from a car.

What is doubly strange is that americans are allways saying how they need personal firearms to protect aginst excesive use of force by the state but readily support the use of said excessive force by its agents.

ETA to Cowdung pile is?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the new thread. This one's much better than the original and fits much better in OOT than Politics.

TheJunkyardGod
06-07-2005, 11:18 AM
She was resisting arrest, she had a suspended drivers license, she took a swing at the cop, HE could have used his baton and broke her jaw.

Also, Tazers are funny. Calm down with the "national outrage"

Duke
06-07-2005, 11:23 AM
She was an annoying bitch, and I would love to be able to tase people just like her on a daily basis.

~D

Rotating Rabbit
06-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Well Im from the uk too and I agree with everything you said.

ddollevoet
06-07-2005, 12:02 PM
If she treated the cop with respect, she would have gotten respect.

I don't think most Americans would have a problem with this based on her behavior (provided the media didn't edit it down to the 15 seconds where he tazed her).

ThaSaltCracka
06-07-2005, 12:06 PM
the cop said get out of the car or I will taze you, she did not get out, thus she was tazed. Its her fault IMO.

tbach24
06-07-2005, 12:06 PM
This is why we won the revolutionary war.

pshreck
06-07-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the cop said get out of the car or I will taze you, she did not get out, thus she was tazed. Its her fault IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cop should have recognized that she was trying to check about her legal rights concerning the situation (she is clearly asking about it on the phone). As it was said in the other thread, even though she doesnt have the legal right to do this (pretty ridiculous), the cop should have spent at least a few more minutes trying to diffuse the situation and make her comfortable, especially when she poses no immediate threat whatsoever.

The once and future king
06-07-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She was resisting arrest, she had a suspended drivers license, she took a swing at the cop, HE could have used his baton and broke her jaw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not saying I would be outraged, im just saying how this would go down with the british public.

In Britian not getting out of a car isnt a major crime.

klagett
06-07-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl classic

Clarkmeister
06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to note that with our purchase of Manchester United, our victory is now totally complete.

manpower
06-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Anyone mind linking to the video?

The once and future king
06-07-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you won it with original and witty one liners that the British hadnt heard a thousand times before.

ThaSaltCracka
06-07-2005, 12:15 PM
I really don't see what the problem is.

tbach24
06-07-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you won it with original and witty one liners that the British hadnt heard a thousand times before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be quiet or we'll stop bailing you and France out.

klagett
06-07-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is doubly strange is that americans are allways saying how they need personal firearms to protect aginst excesive use of force by the state but readily support the use of said excessive force by its agents.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about most americans. But i've never heard somebody say we need guns so that the state doesn't get too powerful?

We enjoy our firearms for hunting and sportsmanlike things. Like chasing that fucker down the street you caught with your wife. Or the every now and again a good gang shootup at the mall.

The once and future king
06-07-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be quiet or we'll stop bailing you and France out.

[/ QUOTE ]

More devastating originality, why has no american said something like this before?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about most americans. But i've never heard somebody say we need guns so that the state doesn't get too powerful?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do believe this was at least a large part of the original intention.

spamuell
06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ahahaha

ThaSaltCracka
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]pwned.

chaas4747
06-07-2005, 12:26 PM
So I take this to mean, if you disrespect me I have the right to make you respect me with any mean necessary. The police were way out of line here. He hit her twice with the Tazer. Not called for. Why could he not have pepper sprayed her?

pshreck
06-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Pepper spray is worse than being tazered (assuming a direct shot in the eyes.

klagett
06-07-2005, 12:28 PM
I think you are underestimating pepper spray.

chaas4747
06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Not at all. I have had it sprayed in a dorm room when I was in college. I guess my point was there had to be a better solution than brute force to get her out of her car.
Another poster mentioned something about soliciting legal advice when you are in your car. This may be sort of a highjack, so I apologize, but I think this is one of the most unconstitutional laws we have. You are entitled to legal advice, after we get to spend 2 hours booking you, during which time we are allowed to tape all of your conversations, and use this information to build our case. It is just bullshit.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
The taser was clearly the best option here. He warned her repeatedly and she refused to get out of the car. Trying to wrestle her out would have been dangerous to both the cop and the woman, trying to handcuff her while she's in the car would be much the same and very difficult, and pepper spray is potentially much worse than the taser. She clearly had no intent to get out of the car or cooperate at all. Something had to be done.

chaas4747
06-07-2005, 12:36 PM
I do not think I can ever be convinced that brutal force is required when arresting someone for a suspended license. I just do not think crimes such as those warrant this type of control.

vulturesrow
06-07-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not think I can ever be convinced that brutal force is required when arresting someone for a suspended license. I just do not think crimes such as those warrant this type of control.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you propose the cops get her out of the car then? Twinkie on a fishing pole?

Jack of Arcades
06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A taser is not brutal force. It's the safest option of restraint for both the police and the detainee.

-Skeme-
06-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Completely her fault. I just don't think they needed to to tase her again. They could've lifted her up and cuffed her.

[ QUOTE ]
Not at all. I have had it sprayed in a dorm room when I was in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me know when either a) You get shot directly in the eyes/face with pepper spray or b) Cops start spraying mace only in the vicinity of the receiver. Until these sitations arise, you have no idea what it's like to be maced.

Oski
06-07-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think the fact that the Americans decided that lining up in formation to fight wasn't such a good idea was one of the major reasons the British were defeated.

Hopelessly clinging to tradition didn't seem to do it for ya?

The witty one-liners were all used up during WWII when the Brits insisted on cooking up tea every afternoon, even when under fire.

The Americans were not to thrilled about having to carry the fight while the Brits were having their tea and crumpets.

ddollevoet
06-07-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I take this to mean, if you disrespect me I have the right to make you respect me with any mean necessary. The police were way out of line here. He hit her twice with the Tazer. Not called for. Why could he not have pepper sprayed her?

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't quite what I was saying. I meant that if she treated the officer with respect, she wouldn't have found herself in the situation that she did.

If these officers were able to use "any means necessary," They could have shot her. THAT would be uncalled for.

They used the minimum force necessary to get control of the situation. They didn't shoot her. They didn't beat her with their night stick. Maybe pepper spray was an option, maybe it wasn't. Every police force has different equipment.

BruinEric
06-07-2005, 01:34 PM
I'm not going to debate the "tasing" with you, but you answered your own query within your own post. Your puzzlement lies in not being able to connect your two conclusions.

Let me help.

Statement 1: [ QUOTE ]
"It seems a strange cultural differance that americans will accepts such brutality just to exit a woman from a car."

[/ QUOTE ]

A simple summary of your statement: Americans dont see the act of the police officer in this case to be excessive.

Statement 2:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this "doubly strange," since you said yourself that Americans don't appear to see this incident as excessive force? If anything, the "strangeness" is logically coherent.

ddollevoet
06-07-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not at all. I have had it sprayed in a dorm room when I was in college. I guess my point was there had to be a better solution than brute force to get her out of her car.
Another poster mentioned something about soliciting legal advice when you are in your car. This may be sort of a highjack, so I apologize, but I think this is one of the most unconstitutional laws we have. You are entitled to legal advice, after we get to spend 2 hours booking you, during which time we are allowed to tape all of your conversations, and use this information to build our case. It is just bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also have the right to remain silent.

DMBFan23
06-07-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this reminds me of the hunting scene in south park when they yell "OH MY GOD!!! ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US!!!!" and then they blow away the [insert illegal to hunt animal here] who was just sitting there