PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Comedian

RYL
06-07-2005, 11:05 AM
George Carlin is by far my favorite. I laughed so hard at his jokes, I couldn't get a grip on anything. This is coming from a guy who used to deadlift 450 lbs and squat 500 lbs. I currently do not lift weights. I do calisthenics and cardio only.

What's your favorite comedian?

TheMainEvent
06-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Dane Cook is easily the funniest comedian of recent years.

WillMagic
06-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Greg Giraldo is the man.

Will

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 11:12 AM
How a guy gets a thread on favorite comedians into a brag about how much he can lift is beyond me. I forgot this kind of thing used to be 2+2's favorite pastime.

Edge34
06-07-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done, and I'll add Stephen Lynch and Mitch Hedberg to that. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thebluepill
06-07-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done, and I'll add Stephen Lynch and Mitch Hedberg to that. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

really like the above and I'll add Brian Regan and Jim Gaffigan

YetioDoom
06-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I'll add Steven Wright to the list.

Talk2BigSteve
06-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Margaret Cho

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

kyro
06-07-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How a guy gets a thread on favorite comedians into a brag about how much he can lift is beyond me. I forgot this kind of thing used to be 2+2's favorite pastime.

[/ QUOTE ]

That confused me too. Does he think we'll be more apt to agree with him on his choice of comedians if we think he can bench a lot? Uh, good for you?

Redmen62
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
George Carlin is by far my favorite. I laughed so hard at his jokes, I couldn't get a grip on anything. This is coming from a guy who used to deadlift 450 lbs and squat 500 lbs. I currently do not lift weights. I do calisthenics and cardio only.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sup bro?

trying2learn
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Mitch Hedberg - Jim Gaffigan

James Boston
06-07-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mitch Hedberg

[/ QUOTE ]

may he rest in peace

BusterStacks
06-07-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Margaret Cho

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap, please tell me this is just a ploy to become MY favorite comic. Margaret Cho is absolutely unfunny.

Thythe
06-07-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mitch Hedberg

[/ QUOTE ]

may he rest in peace

[/ QUOTE ]

By far my favorite comedian. It's too bad, we could have had years and years of more Mitch jokes.

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

George Carlin is great. He's like a comedian-social commentator.

Dave Chapelle is hilarious. I also like Pablo Francisco. He makes really funny noises and stuff.

Blackjack

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Premium Blend on Comedy Central has a ton of funny comedians on it.

Anyone listen to Robin Williams standup? He's dirty as hell but sooo funny. I think watching him in all of those kids movies made him even funnier.

Blackjack

Talk2BigSteve
06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Margaret Cho

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap, please tell me this is just a ploy to become MY favorite comic. Margaret Cho is absolutely unfunny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very Nice!!! That my friend was a joke!!!

PS When I was thinking about being a history major, there was one comedian that fit perfectly for me. Gay...History...Eddie Izzard.

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Is he the cross dressing British Comedian? I think I saw him/it on Premium Blend. Very funny.

Blackjack

deacsoft
06-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Dave Chappelle

Talk2BigSteve
06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is he the cross dressing British Comedian? I think I saw him/it on Premium Blend. Very funny.

Blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

He prefers Executive Transvestite.

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 12:53 PM
He's a weirdo but I guess that's where part of his inner humor comes from.

RYL
06-07-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dave Chappelle

[/ QUOTE ]

I like him too. He left on a high note. He's lives in Ohio so his cost of living is pretty low. He doesn't need the money.

TomCollins
06-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Dennis Miller. Too smart for humans, so his shows keep getting cancelled.

Popinjay
06-07-2005, 03:25 PM
John Leguizamo's Sexaholix was one of the funniest things (sort of heartwarming too) I've ever seen, so I'll go with him.

trying2learn
06-07-2005, 03:26 PM
dennis miller's stand up is great - his shows, not so much.

touchfaith
06-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Denis Leary.

'No Cure For Cancer' is probably my alltime favorite routine...

Mitch was great...

fimbulwinter
06-07-2005, 03:34 PM
dirty as hell, but funny

"i'm challenged because my daddy did not eat pussy"

funny funny stuff

fim

wayabvpar
06-07-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Denis Leary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Funniest damned thing I have ever seen. Sam Kinison deserves a mention here as well- that man was truly hysterical. Also LOL'ed constantly through Robert Schimmel's act (quite blue, but fuggin' FUNNY).

Benal
06-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Richard Prior and Robin Williams for oldschool stuff.

Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld for newer stuff.

I'm always amazed at how Seinfeld can be so funny without using any foul language whatsoever.

Pocket Trips
06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
not really thought of as a comedian but Henry Rollins' spoken word stuff is often hysterical.

snorer
06-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Bill Maher... going to see him Thursday night

Slacker13
06-07-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
George Carlin is great.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't stand the man. I peg him as the most overrated comedian ever. IMO of course.

ClaytonN
06-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Darrel Hammond
Pablo Francisco

Above all of them though, Sam Kinnison (sp)

Rushmore
06-07-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not really thought of as a comedian but Henry Rollins' spoken word stuff is often hysterical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a real laff-riot.

"Would you still love me if I made love to your gouged-out skullhead?"

Or dragged you through the acid bath, or something. Don't feel like Googling.

No, Mr. Henry Garfield is a not-very-funny guy.

Rushmore
06-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Come on. This guy was a genius.

Sure, he's no Gallagher, but still...

Slacker13
06-07-2005, 04:09 PM
My favorites of all time would have to be Richard Prior, Eddie Murphy.
Mitch Hedberg was great, Seinfelds great. I like too many to pick one.

Slacker13
06-07-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Above all of them though, Sam Kinnison

[/ QUOTE ]
I never liked Kennison, then I got Syrius Sat radio and started really listening to his standup and really got to liking him.

Slacker13
06-07-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Margaret Cho is absolutely unfunny.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya, I don't understand how she actually makes money as a comic. Saw her on HBO once, I lasted about 3 minutes.

CallMeIshmael
06-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Ricky Gervais.

He only did 1 standup show (that I know of), but it was amazing.

Beyond him, Hedberg (RIP) and Gaffigan are great. Seinfeld was always amazing.

34TheTruth34
06-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Great to see Brian Regan get some votes, as I didn't think most people knew about him.

Lately, I can't get enough of Dave Attell's "Skanks for the Memories". He's may be a little too dirty for some.

blindu
06-07-2005, 08:57 PM
old school:
Carlin, Pryor

new school:
Chappelle, Hedburg

Yeti
06-07-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ricky Gervais.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's done two. Neither was close to amazing.

Pocket Trips
06-07-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a real laff-riot.

"Would you still love me if I made love to your gouged-out skullhead?"

Or dragged you through the acid bath, or something. Don't feel like Googling.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have never seen a more idiotic statement in OOT... and that includes ALL of Dead's posts

The Stranger
06-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Ron White: http://www.rrk.com/includes/news_items/1/59/ron_white.jpg

check out the "Tater Salad" routine if you haven't already. Friggin hilarious.

CallMeIshmael
06-07-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ricky Gervais.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals and what else?

thatpfunk
06-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Bill Hicks, Lewis Black, Chappelle, Cook.

I've seen Carlin and Seinfeld live, and they were both horrible. They use the same joke/shtick and I felt ripped off.

I've seen a lot of live comedy and one of the best shows I've seen is this guy:

Darren Carter. (http://www.darrencarter.com/) He opened for Darrell Hammond and blew him out of the water. He's actually playing at Commerce on July 7th, might have to make it up there.

___SK___
06-07-2005, 09:42 PM
g-lo

___SK___
06-07-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Margaret Cho is absolutely unfunny.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya, I don't understand how she actually makes money as a comic. Saw her on HBO once, I lasted about 3 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

try having a korean gf who loves cho. yuck

str8outtalocash
Ron White, Paul Mooney, Dave Chappelle. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

-Skeme-
I always liked Seinfeld's routines. That Jewish guy from Last Comic Standing was also funny, he reminded me of Seinfelda little. Mitch Hedberg had some funny stuff.

Jack of Arcades
06-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Bill [censored] Hicks.

Jack of Arcades
06-07-2005, 09:53 PM
The thing is, Carlin's been around SO long. He has his periods of real stupid [censored], like his "back in my day we were TOUGH routine." Of course he'll end up reusing stuff.

He's still been a helluva comic for 50 years.

thatpfunk
06-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Agreed, I think both of them are hilarious, but was very dissapointed with their live performances.

bighomage
06-07-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lewis Black, Chappelle

[/ QUOTE ]

Lewis Black is the man. His standups where he just starts berating people in the audience is hilarious.

Sen. VernonTrent
06-07-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
George Carlin is by far my favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you can take that to the bank.

DukeSucks
06-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Carlos Mencia

thirddan
06-07-2005, 10:03 PM
my roommate just showed me a canadian indian guy named Russell Peters, now that guy is damn funny...

CourtesyFlush
06-07-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my 2 favorites are Seinfeld and Chappelle. This is coming from a guy that plays tennis 1-2 times a week and occasionally jogs. Surely this is applicable to my post.

ChipWrecked
06-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Chappelle's 'Sesame Street' bit is the funniest thing I'd seen in the past ten years.

David Cross' stand-up kills me.

Carlin? WTF? He wouldn't have a career if Lenny Bruce hadn't died, so Carlin could rob him of his classic material and call it is own.

HtotheNootch
06-07-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Denis Leary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Funniest damned thing I have ever seen. Sam Kinison deserves a mention here as well- that man was truly hysterical. Also LOL'ed constantly through Robert Schimmel's act (quite blue, but fuggin' FUNNY).

[/ QUOTE ]

"No Cure for Cancer" contained a lot of material that was ripped from Bill Hicks.

Hicks was the all-time greatest.

Doug Stanhope deserves a mention, as well.

gunt
06-07-2005, 10:13 PM
favorites: chris rock, dave chappelle, denis leary

least favorites: jeff foxworthy and larry the cable guy
GIT R DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...you might be a redneck if you think these guys are funny

Sifmole
06-07-2005, 10:17 PM
No it isn't a quiz.

A while back I saw a stand-up routine by a comedian who made me laugh alot. As far as physical description: black hair, short, thin, wore black leather jacket.

Delivery: high pitched voice, would often end up as a whine when near delivering a punch line. Would regularly have his fingers up near his lips while speaking. Often leaned against parts of the set. Would deliver much of the performance half turned away from the audience.

I know it is a lame description, but does anybody think they recognize this guy?

RicktheRuler
06-07-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is coming from a guy who used to deadlift 450 lbs and squat 500 lbs. I currently do not lift weights. I do calisthenics and cardio only.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT?? Is this some 2+2 joke?

gunt
06-07-2005, 10:22 PM
remember in the 80's when it was cool for comedians to lift weights... i.e. joe piscopo and the diceman andrew dice clay? glad that phase is over.

RicktheRuler
06-07-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dennis Miller. Too smart for humans, so his shows keep getting cancelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

UGH. I hope my sarcasm detector is broken.

RicktheRuler
06-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Current comics I have to go with Dave Chapelle.

I didn't see anyone put Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy on the list--there stand up acts are IMHO far and beyond what anyone else has done live.

cnfuzzd
06-07-2005, 10:38 PM
Simply put, other comediens would stop what they were doing to go watch bill hicks deliver his message of vitrol and enlightenment. Anyone who picked anyone else has a very shallow definition of what comedy should be. However, acceptable answers are also pryor and bruce.

Not that i dont love chapelle, hedburg, and attell, but what they are doing is nowhere near the level of any of the first three.

peace

john nickle

Brain
06-07-2005, 10:43 PM
I know who you're talking about, but it's gonna take me a while to think of his name.

Brain
06-07-2005, 10:45 PM
How about Jeremy Hotz?

Comedy Central page with picture (and not much else) (http://www.comedycentral.com/comedians/browse/h/jeremy_hotz.jhtml)

siccjay
06-07-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

least favorites: jeff foxworthy and larry the cable guy
GIT R DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...you might be a redneck if you think these guys are funny

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff Foxworthy's stand up is pretty lame.

Have you actually seen Larry the Cable Guy or are you just basing it off of the stupid "Git R Done" line. I always HATED "Git R Done" but I finally saw his standup and it's [censored] hilarious.

Are you driving drunk, sir? "Why is there a fat girl in my backseat?" "Awwww theres two of em" baahahaha

Rushmore
06-07-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have never seen a more idiotic statement in OOT... and that includes ALL of Dead's posts

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, explain to me how seeing your best friend killed in front of you, and then becoming alternately zany and "disturbed" is funny.

Anyway, it's my opinion, and I've decided to stick with it, regardless of your stinging, scathing indictment of my opinion.

For the record, I understand that there is an element of Henry's material that is intended as humor, and which some people seem to appreciate. I have honestly always found those to be his weakest moments, if that's ok with you.

PokerBob
06-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Richard Pryor is hilarious. I like Attel and Hedburg too. And although he's not the sexy pick, I think Seinfeld was brilliant too.

Sifmole
06-07-2005, 11:27 PM
That is him. Thanks.

zephed
06-08-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Carlos Mencia

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, I just saw this guy last weekend.

I didn't think he was very funny. Somewhat funny, headliner caliber.

Frank Caliendo is very funny. His impressions were good. My face was tired from that stupid grin on my face.

Yeti
06-08-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ricky Gervais.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals and what else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Politics.

uw_madtown
06-08-2005, 10:10 AM
In random order:

George Carlin
Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy
Jerry Seinfeld
Chris Rock
Denis Leary*
Lewis Black
Dave Chappelle
Bill Cosby
Dennis Miller

That's the list.

Honorable mentions go out to Dane Cook, Dave Attell, and Stephen Lynch -- need to do more stand-up before they can make THE list.

*If I ever get around to hearing Hicks' material I'll reevaluate Leary.

RYL
06-08-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In random order:

George Carlin
Richard Pryor
Eddie Murphy
Jerry Seinfeld
Chris Rock
Denis Leary*
Lewis Black
Dave Chappelle
Bill Cosby
Dennis Miller

That's the list.

Honorable mentions go out to Dane Cook, Dave Attell, and Stephen Lynch -- need to do more stand-up before they can make THE list.

*If I ever get around to hearing Hicks' material I'll reevaluate Leary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me like list, me like list /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

tomahawk
06-08-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think my 2 favorites are Seinfeld and Chappelle. This is coming from a guy that plays tennis 1-2 times a week and occasionally jogs. Surely this is applicable to my post.
[ QUOTE ]
WHAT?? Is this some 2+2 joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL this thread is hilarious. I play ball almost every day and I like Bill Hicks.

tomahawk
06-08-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I currently do not lift weights. I do calisthenics and cardio only.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoyed these gems especially. You should get your own show /images/graemlins/grin.gif