PDA

View Full Version : Another great real estate mess

bernie
06-07-2005, 11:05 AM
I read ripdogs deal. It must be something in the water.

My sister just recently signed to buy a house (A). Her house has also been signed to be bought. No problem, right?

Turns out the neighbor of house (A) who is handling the deal for the homeowner is trying to re align the property, post signing. (which I guess isn't quite the same as closing) His house is just below house A, kind of on the same lot. So he gets together with the sellers, postsigning, goes to the assessors office. My sister gets a restructured title in the mail that they'd like her to sign. She's a little pissed. I didn't hear if the neighbor mentioned any compensation for the loss of value of the house. I seem to recall there wasn't anything mentioned about it when I asked her. We are talking about a possible significant amount as we're looking at beach property here.

My sister contacted a lawyer, a letter was sent. Owners, who really don't have a clue, go ballistic. Now they contacted a lawyer.

Meanwhile, my sis has to be out of her house by this week. Fun finding a place for 4 people on that short of notice. This all hit the fan about a week and 1/2 ago.

Nothing like looking forward to living next to a neighbor like that.

b

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 11:10 AM
All I've got to say is this guy is a huge ass and I wouldn't take this [censored].

bernie
06-07-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All I've got to say is this guy is a huge ass and I wouldn't take this [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah. He is. The owners are letting him handle everything so far. He has a big interest in this if it goes through.

Funny side note: My sister has a bud who they found out actually grew up in the house. Small world. Evidently, when the neighbor found this out, which is no biggie, he called them. Something was said in jest to the guy about how he can now try to gain a piece of it or something. (this conversation was before all of the stuff mentioned happened) The guy got majorly offended, I guess and just went off. Even suprisingly so to my sis' friends.

We'll see how this week goes.

b

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Good luck. I wouldn't give this [censored] [censored]. If he wants a piece of her property, he can negotiate a sale instead of trying to be a [censored] weasel and steal it from her.

bernie
06-07-2005, 11:28 AM
I agree. I wouldn't cower down to this prick.

I wish I knew how much her having signed already could be used as leverage. Or if the owners are too far in with the signing that they can't nix the deal, deal with the neighbor, then re enter it as an available property again.

In a way, I kind of feel for the owners also. Even though they erred in judgement in letting this guy handle it and listening to them, it's not like they deal with real estate that often. Of course, that doesn't mean they couldn't pull their head out of their asses.

b

ripdog
06-07-2005, 12:28 PM
This guy sounds very similar to another neighbor we have. My guess is that their sneaky property line shift is illegal. We are trying to take the high road. We will still have to live with these jerks as neighbors, but there's no need to let them bend you over. Defend your rights vigorously, but try not to get sucked into a nasty fight over it. I've been laughing at our jerkoff and not giving any ground, but I haven't allowed myself to be drawn into his stupid arguments. Not worth the time.

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Fight the man... Here's what you do.

Buy a box of fireworks and at 3 AM light in in his front yard and run back to your yard. It'll be hilarious

Ray Zee
06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
her lawyer will let the sellers know that she can now back out of the deal or even sue for specific performance. the sellers will likely come around to selling exactly what they signed to sell.
if the neighbor is not a licenced attorney or real estate person of some kind he may be breaking the law by handling the closing.
might be best for her to find another place. usually you can force an extention on moving by delaying her sale but may lose that sale.
this is why as soon as you sign a buy sell it goes to a title and closing company to have it done.

bernie
06-07-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if the neighbor is not a licenced attorney or real estate person of some kind he may be breaking the law by handling the closing.

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't either of these. That has been called into question. Not sure what the result of that was.

[ QUOTE ]
the sellers will likely come around to selling exactly what they signed to sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully. However, it would still suck to have to have this guy living next to you. It's a nice way to welcome someone into the neighborhood.

b

RicktheRuler
06-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Its tough to speculate without total disclosure, but this doesn't seem to be legal what this guy is doing.

In fact, if you get the right lawyer, he may owe your sister some money in the end. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ray Zee
06-07-2005, 04:03 PM
bernie, you cant really blame the neighbor as he is just trying to better his situation. he may be an okay one or a bad one. but she should stand firm in not taking any less than she bargained for unless compensated and happy with the amount.
there are lots of houses and unless its special sometimes its best to move on when faced with problems from the start.

jakethebake
06-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Pick up Soldier of Fortune magazine at your nearby 7-11. I'm pretty sure there are guys advertising in the back of it that can take care of this for you.

bernie
06-07-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
bernie, you cant really blame the neighbor as he is just trying to better his situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the one instigating the whole thing. I give him credit that he knows he tried to do it on the sly. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

b

bernie
06-07-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pick up Soldier of Fortune magazine at your nearby 7-11. I'm pretty sure there are guys advertising in the back of it that can take care of this for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh heh.

Plenty of trees around the place to hide in too. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

b