PDA

View Full Version : Another Magic player wins a bracelet

Paluka
06-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Eric Froehlik has won the $1500 limit holdem event. I'm not the biggest Efro fan around, but the Magic crowd just keeps winnin.

Lady Dont Tekno
06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
The Magic to Poker community has been surprisingly successful. Dave Williams, ZeeJustin, Efro, Brock Parker, Noeh Boeken and I'm sure there's more. I love that in the world we live in today, even fantasy card games can lead to millions of dollars.

keep it reaL
-LDT

WillMagic
06-07-2005, 10:02 AM
I don't find it all that surprising.

The top Magic players all have a few things in common:

1) they are smart
2) they are very good at analyzing complex situations and finding the right play
3) they have a ton of endurance...Pro Tours are long, tiring tournaments, and staying on your a-game throughout is imperative...I don't know of many activities that could prepare you for a massive poker tournament better than a Pro Tour (outside of other poker tournaments, of course.)

Will

mmbt0ne
06-07-2005, 10:09 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
The Magic to Poker community has been surprisingly successful. Dave Williams, ZeeJustin, Efro, Brock Parker, Noeh Boeken and I'm sure there's more.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP, for instance.

Lady Dont Tekno
06-07-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The OP, for instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

The OP?

keep it reaL
-LDT

mmbt0ne
06-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster. The guy who started this thread. Paluka.

bigjohnn
06-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Sorry, bit of a newbie here. What is this Magic to Poker group?

Cheers,

John

Lady Dont Tekno
06-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Oh cool. I remember a guy named Chris Pikula that used to play. Similar names.

keep it reaL
-LDT

Lady Dont Tekno
06-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Magic: The Gathering is a fantasy collectible card game that's played for hundreds of thousands of dollars around the world. Alot of "pro" Magic players have translated the success into Poker. Last year's WSOP runner up Dave Williams was a world class Magic player.

keep it reaL
-LDT

Paluka
06-07-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

keep it reaL
-LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if this is sarcasm.

Grisgra
06-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Do I get to be part of the Magic crowd? I never played on the Pro Tour but I once had a complete deck consisting of nothing but basic land and every single card that had "Of" in the title.

That Wheel of Fortune/Chains of Mephistopheles/Anvil of Bogardan combo was a killer . . .

Lady Dont Tekno
Haha no sarcasm, are you him? I really don't know.

keep it reaL
-LDT

mmbt0ne
At least you're almost famous! No one even knows who I am.

Paluka
06-07-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

keep it reaL
-LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Paluka=Chris Pikula

Lady Dont Tekno
06-07-2005, 10:41 AM
The Meddling Mage himself. I know some guys from Ithaca who used to play with you. My hometown.

keep it reaL
-LDT

henrikrh
06-07-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm doomed then, I sucked at magic, hence i'll never be a successful poker player. I'll trade you and ace of clubs for a couple of low diamonds, any takers?

TheCroShow
06-07-2005, 02:02 PM
a handful of friends/acquaintences from vancouver are playing in the 2005 ME this year, the magic crowd will not slow down. i'd love to see a former magic player win. been out of the scene for about 2-3 years though.

RicktheRuler
06-07-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After the match, Chris Pikula approached Gabriel. "You discarded the wrong cards to your Mongrel, you know. You should have discarded both of your Call of the Herds, and then played the fourth land to flash one back, instead of discarding the land and a Call, and hard casting the second one."

"Well," replied Gabriel, "I didn't expect him to have Wretch."

"Yeah, but he did. Plus, you need a fourth land for Karma and Phantom Centaur. It wasn't worth it to cast a Call one extra time that game."

"I guess you're right."

[/ QUOTE ]

Know it all. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paluka
06-07-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After the match, Chris Pikula approached Gabriel. "You discarded the wrong cards to your Mongrel, you know. You should have discarded both of your Call of the Herds, and then played the fourth land to flash one back, instead of discarding the land and a Call, and hard casting the second one."

"Well," replied Gabriel, "I didn't expect him to have Wretch."

"Yeah, but he did. Plus, you need a fourth land for Karma and Phantom Centaur. It wasn't worth it to cast a Call one extra time that game."

"I guess you're right."

[/ QUOTE ]

Know it all. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gabe is a tough poker player as well these days.

ClaytonN
06-07-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Paluka. You know, the guy who has a magic card made in his resemblance.

Smoothcall
06-07-2005, 02:54 PM
What poker tournament did zeejustin win? Or make big money in?

Lady Dont Tekno
06-07-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning tournaments wasn't really my point. They all are making good money however and as a matter of fact I believe ZeeJustin is the youngest player ever to make a TV final table.

funKy
-LDT

Apathy
06-07-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EPT final table(s?), and a bunch of big online tournies.

Tamanon
06-07-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure Jon Finkel won 2nd in one of the WPT events also. I know I saw his name on their most recent tourney.

Can't wait for "Kid" Gindy to finally turn 21 and get in on that haha.

Paluka
06-07-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure Jon Finkel won 2nd in one of the WPT events also. I know I saw his name on their most recent tourney.

Can't wait for "Kid" Gindy to finally turn 21 and get in on that haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon Finkel has never done well in a WPT event. Our friend Alex Balandin did come in 2nd in one. Jon does have some excellent tourney results, but not in any $10k events.

BarronVangorToth
06-07-2005, 03:26 PM
It's good to know that Jon is still friends with Chris after that time Chris beat Jon in that 30-man Magic tourney at my store like eight year ago....

We're all getting too old.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

Paluka
06-07-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's good to know that Jon is still friends with Chris after that time Chris beat Jon in that 30-man Magic tourney at my store like eight year ago....

Barron Vangor Toth

[/ QUOTE ]

That was awesome.

jackdaniels
06-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Palooka, what card was made in your image? I haven't been in the MTG scene since, oh, Legends (or there abouts) - but used to play a lot in NYC (even pre-Neutral Ground days). It's wild that you can make $$ playing Magic nowadays... We used to drive out to all the cons, buy the cards and re-sell in NY - heck, that got me through half of university! Once they disallowed the use of previous edition cards in tourneys though, it made that business obsolete (if I dig really hard, I'm sure I can find a few Mox's and a Black Lotus or two somewhere - prolly not in mint condition anymore /images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Anyway, what card was that?

Paluka
06-07-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Palooka, what card was made in your image? I haven't been in the MTG scene since, oh, Legends (or there abouts) - but used to play a lot in NYC (even pre-Neutral Ground days). It's wild that you can make $$ playing Magic nowadays... We used to drive out to all the cons, buy the cards and re-sell in NY - heck, that got me through half of university! Once they disallowed the use of previous edition cards in tourneys though, it made that business obsolete (if I dig really hard, I'm sure I can find a few Mox's and a Black Lotus or two somewhere - prolly not in mint condition anymore /images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Anyway, what card was that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meddling Mage.

jackdaniels
06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Very cool artwork on the card. Good for you man.

Nottom
06-07-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if I dig really hard, I'm sure I can find a few Mox's and a Black Lotus or two somewhere - prolly not in mint condition anymore ).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have them laying around, it might be a good idea to find them. Type 1 stuff is pretty much at an all time high price-wise right now.

RicktheRuler
06-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Really?! I haven't played since junior high--about 10-11 years ago, but still have a bunch of cards in some boxes. Do you think I should go through these? Can you give me a link that could show me which ones to look for. I'll be honest, I don't even really remember how to play.

jackdaniels
06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm lookin around (online) now and see there are a lot of Type I tourneys out there. Maybe it's time to break out the old deck... Hmmmm.....

Thanks for the heads up.

Ulysses
06-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Yeah, a lot of these Dungeons and Dragons guys are doing well at poker. Do you know if any of them still play D&amp;D seriously?

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Meddling Mage? I dunno that card.. But seeing as how I played in like 3rd grade like 10 years ago - it probably wasn't out then.

Blackjack

jackdaniels
06-07-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meddling Mage? I dunno that card.. But seeing as how I played in like 3rd grade like 10 years ago - it probably wasn't out then.

Blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

I just looked it up, pretty nice card. It must be at least 10 years since I played seriously. I also just found this price list (http://www.hhhh.org/cloister/pricelists/current-magic) but am not sure how accurate it is. If it is accurate then the prices have not changed almost at all since I used to play (I only checked some of the big cards - Mox, Lotus, Time Walk).

If anyone has a better price list, please share (while I would HATE to sell my cards, if I can trade them in for a new car... you know...)

TIA

jackdaniels
06-07-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, a lot of these Dungeons and Dragons guys are doing well at poker. Do you know if any of them still play D&amp;D seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am a former D&amp;D guy who now plays poker (but not well) and is actively seeking a D&amp;D game in Toronto. Does that qualify me? (even though you did say "play poker well" and " still play D&amp;D seriously?" /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RicktheRuler
06-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Yeah I may have a gold mine in my laundry room, curious to know now.

Nottom
06-07-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really?! I haven't played since junior high--about 10-11 years ago, but still have a bunch of cards in some boxes. Do you think I should go through these? Can you give me a link that could show me which ones to look for. I'll be honest, I don't even really remember how to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

BAsically the big money cards are
Black lotus, 5 Moxes, Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, Mishra's Workshop, Mana Drain, Timetwister, and Library of Alexandria.

All of the above could probably be sold for &gt; $100 in good condition. Lotuses are easily $600+.

Just look on ebay to see what stuff is going for (or www.starcitygames.com (http://www.starcitygames.com)). I managed to sell all my stuff about 6 months before the prices went out of control.

dankhank
06-07-2005, 05:16 PM
d&amp;d players are all losers who live in their mother's basement. and since loser d&amp;d players must inevitably be 30 years old by now, that makes their moms 60, and there is no internet connection in the basement of a house that old. so therefore d&amp;d players don't play poker. the act of driving to the store and buying cards is what has allowed loser magic players to discover poker and circumvent their basment destiny.

DarthIgnurnt
06-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Hard to believe, but I am dumber for having read this thread. That's 5 minutes of life I'll never get back.

Redmen62
06-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Don't suppose we have any ex- or current SWCCG players kicking around here, do we?

Equal
06-07-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to believe that guys who play one card game are trying to make fun of guys that play another card game. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yeti
06-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Does someone explain very briefly how the whole thing works? I have no idea.

Wouldn't being rich in this game be a huge advantage, couldn't you just buy every card and never lose? Obviously I'm guessing this isn't the case, so I'm wondering how it all works.

Cheers.

Smoothcall
06-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Again what tv final table did he make? Not trying to debunk your point. Just asking which appearance did he make. Who is he in real life?

Sponger15SB
06-07-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't being rich in this game be a huge advantage, couldn't you just buy every card and never lose? Obviously I'm guessing this isn't the case, so I'm wondering how it all works.

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

In most tournies their are specific cards that can and cant be used.

Also, I would like to add (as I have mentioned many times) that I finished 2nd in my one and only MTG tourney at the Rancho Bernardo Artifax store(San Diego).

Then I graduated from elementary school and stopped playing /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ClaytonN
06-07-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eric Froehlik has won the $1500 limit holdem event. I'm not the biggest Efro fan around, but the Magic crowd just keeps winnin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude looks like Gobi from SNL

http://www.pokerpages.com/gallery2/d/10976-2/Event%204%20Winner%20Erik_5599-72dpi.jpg

wayabvpar
06-07-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if I dig really hard, I'm sure I can find a few Mox's and a Black Lotus or two somewhere - prolly not in mint condition anymore ).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have them laying around, it might be a good idea to find them. Type 1 stuff is pretty much at an all time high price-wise right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really??? I really need to catalog my stuff and get it sold. I have a shoebox stuffed full of 1st Edition and Arabian Nights cards. At least 1 mox, and a couple of other decent rares too.

Is it best to sell it all in one batch, or piecemeal? Ebay or is there a better outlet?

Apologies for the thread derail /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Smoothcall
06-07-2005, 07:08 PM
EPT? = early pregnancy test? But seriously. What is ept?

Equal
06-07-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EPT? = early pregnancy test? But seriously. What is ept?

[/ QUOTE ]

European Poker Tour. Common knowledge, but I guess since it has nothing whatsoever to do with Daniel Negreanu's day-to-day life, we can't expect you to know that.

italianstang
06-07-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a handful of friends/acquaintences from vancouver are playing in the 2005 ME this year, the magic crowd will not slow down. i'd love to see a former magic player win. been out of the scene for about 2-3 years though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps we will see a 20/40 blue counter spell deck table, or some no limit white weenie!!

Alex/Mugaaz
06-07-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being rich is a big advantage, no one denies it either.
I used to play a lot, I would like to play a top magic player one day, but I stopped playing a long time ago.

Nottom
06-07-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having money certainly helps but any even semi-serious magic player can usually come up with the cards for any particular deck if they really want either via trading or borrowing or just shelling out the cash. It is a very skill intensive game where not only the actual play skill matters but the ability to predict what the other players will be playing so that you can adjust your deck accordingly to give yourself an edge is extremely important.

Some players may play a deck very well, but make bad choices with what deck to play or how to build that deck while others may be the exact opposite, where they build an excellent deck for the field but simply make mistakes during play that cost them the game. The best players are good at both aspects (or at least work with a team that will help with the second so they can focus on playing well)

ftball0000
06-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Holy Pikula... Somebody had to...

The Armchair
06-08-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Barron Vangor Toth

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon and Chris were at a Barron Con? Where was I?

phifediggy
06-08-2005, 10:21 PM
tap tap tap tap tap mana mana mana

BarronVangorToth
06-08-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jon and Chris were at a Barron Con? Where was I?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a random Saturday probably like I said eight years ago. Chris came to the shop on maybe a dozen occasions for these events and one random Saturday he brought Jon and beat him in the finals.

Magic excitement like that hasn't been experienced in the last five years since I sold my shop due to my WWE work taking up so much of my time and my not trusting anyone to run my store properly...

Barron Vangor Toth

VayaConDios
06-08-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude looks like Gobi from SNL

http://www.pokerpages.com/gallery2/d/10976-2/Event%204%20Winner%20Erik_5599-72dpi.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Magic? I bet his best trick is making cookies disappear.

Equal
06-09-2005, 12:50 AM
lol

duma
06-09-2005, 04:31 AM
magic is the gayest [censored] i have ever seen. i have friends who were really into it and to cover it up in public they used to call it "poker". funny how all of them now quit magic and are playing real poker.

another reason they quit, aside from it being so gay, was of the excess of cheating that goes on in the big tournaments. it was like whoever cant get caught ends up winning. but they started to play again once Magic Online came about and therefore no cheating was possible. i tried to get into Magic but never could. i played a psychatog deck a while back and that was that. never into it at the level of some of my friends. im sure if it wasnt considered so damn gay they would still be playing it today.

Magic the Gaythering

Sykes
06-09-2005, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
magic is the gayest [censored] i have ever seen. i have friends who were really into it and to cover it up in public they used to call it "poker". funny how all of them now quit magic and are playing real poker.

another reason they quit, aside from it being so gay, was of the excess of cheating that goes on in the big tournaments. it was like whoever cant get caught ends up winning. but they started to play again once Magic Online came about and therefore no cheating was possible. i tried to get into Magic but never could. i played a psychatog deck a while back and that was that. never into it at the level of some of my friends. im sure if it wasnt considered so damn gay they would still be playing it today.

Magic the Gaythering

[/ QUOTE ]

You're an idiot

TheCroShow
06-09-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Magic the Gaythering

[/ QUOTE ]

L-O-L @ you...Some former magic players are making big names for themselves with great success in poker: Thomas Keller, David Williams, John Murphy and more recently Eric Froelick. Look for more magic players to explode on the poker scene. Gxy or not, magic gives magic players a significant edge when it comes to playing poker. I'll dig up an interesting article a friend of mine wrote that speaks to the magic to poker transition.

Smoothcall
06-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Your making me consider changing to sweet and low.

Paluka
06-09-2005, 07:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Magic the Gaythering

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this post mostly sucked, he is right about the cheating. The cheating in Magic tourneys is pretty disgusting.

RowdyZ
06-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Mattias Andersson, the Screamning Swede that made the final table last year was a Magic player, in fact he won the Swedish National Championship in 2001 (type 1), whatever that means.

FieryJustice
06-09-2005, 08:23 AM
You talking about the old dead decipher swccg? I played that game for about a year but it seemed more like work than fun. Speaking of MtG, anyone going to regionals in 2 weeks? I think I am going to hit up orlando. I havent played T2 in forever but the format seems fairly balanced now. As for good MtG players = good poker players, I have taught 3 MtG players to play poker and the best MtG player is the best poker player and the worst one is still the worst. I personally never took MtG too seriously but have a 1900 or so rating in T1 and a 1850ish composite. I now 4 table the $215 sngs and am glad i made the switch from MtG to poker. MtG still makes for a nice thing to do on a vacation though.

Ser William
06-09-2005, 01:35 PM
I think the real question we all have is: does Chris Pikula deserve to be in the Magic Hall of Fame? As much as I like and respect the guy, I'd have to say on merit alone he just doesn't have the credentials.

Sponger15SB
06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
How do you cheat in a MTG tourney?

Redmen62
06-09-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You talking about the old dead decipher swccg?

[/ QUOTE ]

(clears throat) It's not dead, it's just out of print.

Star Wars CCG Players Committee Website (www.swccgpc.com)

The game actualy seems to be doing pretty well- my cards have gone up in value over the last couple of years.

Niediam
06-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Mostly collusion (paying your opponent to conceed) and slight of hand tricks (drawing extra cards, etc).

Gainsay
06-09-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Although this post mostly sucked, he is right about the cheating. The cheating in Magic tourneys is pretty disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is cheating a bigger problem at big Magic tournies then it is at big Poker tournies? NL Hold'Em seems like it's a game tailor made for collusion/team play. I haven't played any big Poker tournies so I don't really have any basis for an opinion.

FieryJustice
06-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Too bad i just sold a shitload of old rares to some kid for $200 the other day. They were probably work more /images/graemlins/frown.gif Also, at walmart the other day, I saw a sealed box of Limited Jabbas Palace for $5.00.....I almost picked it up because i knew people had the online thingy...Then I figured it would probably just sit around my house and collect dust.

Sifmole
06-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Rancho Bernado....

I spent my first 17 yrs in Poway. But I think we have to be a few years apart in age.

The Armchair
06-09-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could write a book about it. I never cheated (in fact, the rampant cheating is part of the reason I quit) but the stories I have... wow. Here's a free one.

At one Pro Tour, a certain "Pro" made the final 8 through a rather intricate system of signals. Before his last matchup, he found out somehow (I don't recall how) that his opponent had a good number of counterspells. Being a sealed deck tournament, the Pro in question was afraid that his key cards would not hit the table. So he and his friend worked out a bunch of signals wherein the Pro would "ask" if it was safe to cast an important spell, the friend would reply with "Yes" or with a description of the counterspell in question, and the Pro would act accordingly. The match was a total buttkicking.

Skip Brutale
06-09-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is cheating a bigger problem at big Magic tournies then it is at big Poker tournies? NL Hold'Em seems like it's a game tailor made for collusion/team play. I haven't played any big Poker tournies so I don't really have any basis for an opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheating in Magic tournaments is a MUCH bigger problem. There are many more areas to cheat.

duma
06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
in poker you do not shuffle, deal, or draw the cards. in magic you do all of that. one of the best stories i heard was a guy used to tape a card under his chair, then when he needed to use it, reach down and top deck it for the win.

and most of you have to agree. you would never admit to playing magic in public. anyone at school would think you were a total loser. thats the point im trying to make. poker is definately more respectable.

ZeeJustin
06-09-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dave Williams, ZeeJustin, Efro, Brock Parker, Noah Boeken and I'm sure there's more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom Keller was the first one of us to win a WSOP bracelet, so he should be mentioned here.

Other names to look out for: Erik Kesselman (JDredd), William "Huey" Jensen (does well online, but I don't know if he would like me revealing his identity here, so I won't), Jon Finkel (JonnyMagic), Kyle Rose (K_Rose), Shawn Keller (Catchoftheday), Chris Pikula (our very own Paluka).

I know there's a ton more, but my mind is drawing a blank.

P.S. Despite what Cardplayer.com would have you believe, there is no 'k' in "Eric Froehlich".

duma
06-09-2005, 05:31 PM
also, you cant even count the number of top players who have been suspended at one time or another because of cheating. Ryan Fuller comes to mind. he was suspended for one whole year. most have said he is the biggest cheater of all time.

Skip Brutale
06-09-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also, you cant even count the number of top players who have been suspended at one time or another because of cheating. Ryan Fuller comes to mind. he was suspended for one whole year. most have said he is the biggest cheater of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll never forget Michael Long having what must have been an accidently dropped Cadaverous Bloom in his lap.

elmo
06-09-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just ask Dave Williams, I hear he's an expert

TheCroShow
06-09-2005, 11:51 PM
lol that's the funny thing David Williams was suspended for a lengthy period of time. Tournament cheating has run rampant in magic, certainly not a reason to quit LOL @ U

KrmtDfrog
06-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Cheating has actually dropped a lot more since the penalties were upped and the enforcement became stiffer.

Congrats to Eric on the win, I've met him a few times and he's always been a fairly nice, if quiet person.

Chris should prolly make the HoF either this year or the next - having your face on a good and iconic card helps a lot.

Other players like Dave Williams, Justin Bonomo, etc, etc, etc have all either done well or are starting to make their mark. With that, good luck to all the gamers taking up the higher profit cards.

CD56
06-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Dan Clegg made day 2 of the 2000 Limit HE

BarronVangorToth
06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol that's the funny thing David Williams was suspended for a lengthy period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

In David's defense, there was controversy surrounding his supposed cheating, as the "marked" cards in question (Accumulated Knowledge) he apparently borrowed from someone, hence why they showed a different type of bend in the cards as everyone shuffles their deck differently, especially a card like AK that saw tons of play.

I certainly don't know for certain whether he did or did not cheat, but I do know that from my limited dealings with him when we'd run into each other at high level events that he always seemed like a cool guy and I remember when I heard the story that I thought he got railroaded.

In short: getting found guilty of cheating by the DCI doesn't mean you're a cheater.

Barron Vangor Toth

Paluka
06-12-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In short: getting found guilty of cheating by the DCI doesn't mean you're a cheater.

Barron Vangor Toth

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, I do not think this is true. The DCI is very hesitant to suspend people, and generally only do it when the evidence is overwhelming.

BarronVangorToth
06-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Chris, I agree that they do thoroughly look into things, however, I still stand by what I said: being found guilty doesn't mean you're a cheater. He MAY be, but he also may not be. Regardless, it was a long time ago...

Barron Vangor Toth

Deftoner
06-12-2005, 03:11 PM
He shouldn't of put himself in that position, with bent cards at top8 of worlds (I think thats rite, not positive). I don't even think AK was good in that matchup and it was said he got the cards from Mike Long I think..was so long ago, but as said by Paluka, DCI is very hesitant and were lenient on the 'name' pros...so..take from it what you will.

sprmario
06-12-2005, 05:29 PM
No one likes you!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

keep it reaL
-LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Paluka=Chris Pikula

[/ QUOTE ]

ddubois
06-13-2005, 12:53 AM
I believe I saw Casey McCarrel in John Murphy's posse/cheering section last year. That guy was a savage cheater. I despise him.

Sadly, I don't think a few day 2's (including one 17th place!) qualifies me into the "former M:tg pro now playing poker" circle.

BabyJesus
06-13-2005, 04:40 AM
A good friend of mine was banned at a regionals for one year for marked sleeves. He had his deck sorted and his ultra pro's were marked and he ended up having about 20/23 land marked. He didn't even make top 8 in that tournament.

The head judge DQed him without prized mostly because he was biased and didn't like us Las Vegas guys. Other judges afterwards agreed that the judge was in fact biased but were unwilling to come to my friend's defense when he asked them about helping him out with an appeal.

Basically I'm saying, I know my friend very well and he wasn't cheating but was banned for one year. Dont' think the DCI is unbiased in all their decisions.

Joseph Busti
06-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Paluka,
I was once Top 10 DCI ranked in Texas for type 2, somewhere around Gran Prix Austin(6-7 years ago). I will be winning a WSOP bracelet this year.

The Armchair
06-13-2005, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Barron Vangor Toth

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, I do not think this is true. The DCI is very hesitant to suspend people, and generally only do it when the evidence is overwhelming.

[/ QUOTE ]

My only friend that was ever in trouble certainly deserved it, albeit not necessarily for what he was nabbed.

That said, the DCI took too long to sanction him.

Rorgg
06-13-2005, 02:18 PM
While I never played enough to go pro at MTG, I did a lot of writing back in the day. The deal with Williams is, I don't think many people thought that he was cheating (I don't), but there was really no choice but to extract the penalty and ban because the situation is one that you would see if he were.

-- Chris Warren
(Bugbind, founder of #mtgwacky)