PDA

View Full Version : Hand #2: Can I call this preflop reraise w/ KQ?

Lucky Longshot
06-07-2005, 04:10 AM
I'll start using the converter soon. But for now:

Same tourney as my hand 1
Stars $5 + $0.50 (5-handed):
Blinds: 50/100
UTG (713)
MP (4695)
Btn (4910) <-- Me
SB (1698)
BB (1484)

Hero is dealt [Ks Qc]
UTG calls, MP folds, Hero raises to 300 ...

How's my initial raise? I was looking to get heads up w/ the UTG limper. Should I have pushed here or raised it so that UTG was all-in?

... SB folds, BB goes all-in for 1484, UTG folds ... it's to me

I'm getting 2:1 to call this. I figured there's a lot of hands someone could push here. If I lose, I still have a healthy chip stack. I think it's about even money for me, so I call.

I couldn't calculate the odds on the spot, since I can barely add. But afterwards I figured vs the range of AA-88, AK-AJ, I was about a 32%. I think that's a pretty tight range of hands, so I think I was right in calling.

Any comments appreciated. Keeping poker fun,
Longshot

45suited
06-07-2005, 04:56 AM
By my calculations, you're getting only 1.6:1 to call here. Which means, if BB has AA-QQ, AK, or AQ, you are not getting the right odds. I think that after a limp and a raise, BB most likely has one of these hands as opposed to a PP of Jacks or less. Given the fact that a fold here leaves you in great chip position, I go ahead and let this one go. You don't need this pot, no need to sacrifice your position when based on BBs probable range of hands, you're not getting proper calling odds.

Lucky Longshot
06-07-2005, 05:07 AM
You're right it is 1.6:1. Hmm, I guess this was a bad call. He had AA, so I guess I wasn't correct on the range of hands that I put him on.