PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Mr. Powell

09-21-2001, 05:50 PM
Mr. Powell more than made up for the President's omission last night in his press briefing today. It's enough to make you think the White House actually reads their email....lol.

Mr. Powell has always impressed me more than just about any public figure I can think of. He is a class act, not to mention extremely competent. I sleep better at night knowing he is there. Thank you Mr. Powell. Canada appreciates you!

cc: Secretary@state.gov

09-21-2001, 06:23 PM
What has Powell done to impress you?

This is a strange post as you thank Powell and say Canada appreciates him but you don't say why.

09-21-2001, 07:28 PM
I think I mentioned his appreciation of Canada, his class, and his extreme competence.

Read up on Mr. Powell's military and public service record and I think my comments will become crystal clear. As the title of this post implied, it's fairly obvious that this was meant to be an open thank you note to Mr. Powell (primarily for his rectification of President Bush's oversight in his speech to Congress), not a biography of his numerous achievements.

I think a far better question is what you meant when you stated that Mr. Chretien "does not speak for a majority of Canadians".

09-21-2001, 07:56 PM
I too, saw Gen Colin Powell's remarks today. Bush has a top notch cabinet in place, to keep him, and the nation out of trouble. Plus, he can always call his old man.

I want to personally thank "The Great White North", for being there when Americans where in trouble. You definately saved some lives that terrible day, and the days to follow. I'm drinking a Molsen tonight to pay tribute. Not that ice crap, just a regular Molsen. cheers.. It's the second day I've had off since the crisis, but it's back to work tomorrow night!!!!!

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

09-21-2001, 09:07 PM
Actually it's a Molson. But then again you Americans never were great spellers, eh neighbour.

09-21-2001, 09:14 PM
I haven't heard Powell's comments today so I still don't know what you are talking about. When I said Chretien' does not speak for a majority of Canadians I was referring to the content of my earlier post.

I think it was a disgrace that he hasn't had the time to visit Washington yet and when he does go down there next week he can't fit a trip to NY into his busy schedule because he some fund raising to do. Give me a break!!! So I am saying that the actions of Chretien are not indicative of Canadians in general.

You sound like a card carrying Liberal member who can't put aside your party allegiance to look at somethin objective. This is one of the many advantages the US Presidential system has over our Parliamentary system. The Republicans and Democrats can both openly speak on an issue and they can even agree on an issue. GOD forbid that be allowed in Canada.

09-21-2001, 09:55 PM
I resent that remark. I was a spelling bee champion at St Anns grammar school. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Molson isn't in the dictionary. So, I guess your right! Since your from Canada and all. Anyway, it is Molson, with an O, and I'm f***** up!!!

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

09-22-2001, 12:13 AM
The nice Sisters must have wore out there roulers on some of you're classmates. Don't worry, I'll chaulk it up to the beer. :-)

09-22-2001, 03:07 AM
Here is a clip of Colin Powells comments:

http://www.cbc.ca/clips/ram-newsworld/powell_manley010921.ram

By the way, I am no "card carrying Liberal". In fact, I have never voted for the Liberals in a provintial or federal election. But I do know that Prime Minister Chretien has expressed his support for the US in the strongest possible terms over and over again since September 11, and I do believe he speaks for the vast majority of Canadians in doing so.

Chretien has never been one for personal appearances or photo ops. That's just him. He seems to like to stay on the home front and send his cabinet members abroad to represent Canada. You'll recall he also took some heat for not personally attending the King of Jordan's funeral. I personally admire his candor and no-nonsense style. I'm sure he would say something to the effect (in his trademark French accent) that he has put all Canada's resources on the table, and that the firemen aren't interested in shaking his hand, they are interested in saving lives.

In any event, Chretien is going to Washington on Monday, and I'm sure he and President Bush will hammer out some concrete steps than can be taken in our cooperative fight against worldwide terrorism.