PDA

View Full Version : More Japanese Translation

The Dude
06-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Okay, I need help with another Japanese phrase. What does Hajimemashite yoroshiku onegaishimasu~! mean?

Also, does anybody know a good Japanese-English translator site? The first four I tried couldn't give me anything for this phrase, and they all donked out on me trying to figure out how to say "hello" as well.

Thanks.

tbach24
06-07-2005, 01:04 AM
babelfihs by altavista might work, i dunno tho u might need the weird characters they have (http://babelfish.altavista.com/)

The Dude
06-07-2005, 01:05 AM
babelfish is the first site I tried, no dice.

ClassicBob
06-07-2005, 01:08 AM
konichiwa, bitches

rusty JEDI
06-07-2005, 01:50 AM
No idea what the first word means, but its something about shite.

The last two words are something i remember practicing on the plane for when we got off and met the people picking us up. I think it means something like hello pleased to meet you or something like that.

rJ

PokerCat69
06-07-2005, 02:22 AM
'konichiwa' means hello, or how are you.

mason55
06-07-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm starting to get curious why you're asking all these questions about Japanese. Planning a Godzilla attack or something?

incognito
06-07-2005, 02:24 AM
Hajime mashite was covered in the other thread. It's something you say when meeting a person for the first time, most often translated as "How do you do?" for some reason I don't understand, having never encountered that phrase in English outside of the Alistair Sims version of A Christmas Carol.

Yoroshiku and onegai shimasu are both used in many different situations, but here you could probably translate the pair as "Pleased to meet you."

There are several different levels of respect in spoken Japanese, depending on whether you're talking to someone you know, someone you don't know, someone who is your superior, etc. Generally you add more and longer words the more polite you're trying to be. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu is very polite, even more polite than dozo yoroshiku.

The Dude
06-07-2005, 02:25 AM
Somebody I recently met and started exchanging emails with spent a year or so in Japan and speaks the language pretty well. I wanted to say "hello," and now I want to know what she is saying back to me. So far all the online translators I've found suck pretty bad at Japanese to English.

mason55
06-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Oh /images/graemlins/frown.gif Godzilla was a much more exiciting thought.

DiamondDave
06-08-2005, 05:04 AM
The "Hajimemashite" part means "pleased to meet you" (used only for first-time meetings between two people).

The "yoroskiku onigai shimasu" part indicates that the speaker hopes the listener will react favorably to the speaker. It's just a saying. ("Onegai shimasu" literally means "ask a favor".)

plaster8
06-08-2005, 05:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody I recently met and started exchanging emails with spent a year or so in Japan and speaks the language pretty well. I wanted to say "hello," and now I want to know what she is saying back to me. So far all the online translators I've found suck pretty bad at Japanese to English.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does she know you don't speak Japanese? Or are you trying to fool her?

I was golfing in Hawaii once by myself and caught up to another solo player -- a Japanese man who spoke no English. I took Japanese in high school, but remember virtually none of it. I said "Ohayo goziamasu," and he reeled off like five sentences in Japanese -- very quickly -- before I could convey to him that I had no idea what he was saying. It was kind of embarrassing.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-08-2005, 06:08 AM
It's a formal greeting used when you meet someone tthe first time. After hajime mashite, you introduce yourself by saying say "watashi-wa <your name> desu"

The rest sort of says you're honored to meet them and you'll do kind things for them (like decapitate their enemies /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

As for translating, forget it. Japanese uses 3 alphabets (2 syllabic and 1 pictographic) mixed together in all writing. You'll need specific doub;e-byte recognition software to even write it,

Buy a book.

Anders_G
06-08-2005, 08:36 AM
I think the dude is trying to write his own hentai-script

jakethebake
06-08-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the dude is trying to write his own hentai-script

[/ QUOTE ]

At this rate, it's gonna take awhile.

Asnbabe
06-08-2005, 10:14 AM