PDA

View Full Version : Online 'limit' MTT's

sublime
06-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Hey-

I wanted to branch off a litte from playing my usual 6 tables of limit and add a MTT every now and then. Only thing is I prefer limit. What are the big weekly limit tourneys and are they as soft as the NL ones?

Thanks guys

Jurollo
06-07-2005, 12:09 AM
$200 on PS on saturday and $100 limit on sunday @ 6pm. I have placed top 5 in the sunday $100 a few times, I enjoy it.
~Justin

TheTimeIsUp
06-07-2005, 12:23 AM
The 100 at party is ultra fishy.

sublime
06-07-2005, 03:27 AM

how often these go off?

billyjex
06-07-2005, 03:30 AM
try the super wednesday as well on Party ($150+12.)

limit tourney w/ lots of bad play.

CardSharpCook
06-07-2005, 07:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

how often these go off?

[/ QUOTE ]

0-2 times a day. And yes, they are ultra-fishy. They used to have tHe Midnight 100 every night, but that is now NL most night. Not really sure of a set schedule. But remember Super Wednesday at 8PM.

CSC

sublime
06-07-2005, 05:22 PM
thanks guys

sublime
06-07-2005, 05:25 PM
also, if i plan on maikg these part of my regular schedule should i invest in TPFAP? are there any basic strategies i should be employing?

redrooski24
06-07-2005, 05:51 PM
As a player who plays only NLHE MTTs, and not many at that, will there be a big learning curve to figure out how to adapt to a limit tourny format?

CardSharpCook
06-07-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a player who plays only NLHE MTTs, and not many at that, will there be a big learning curve to figure out how to adapt to a limit tourney format?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, huge learning curve. Players like you are what make these tournies so profitable. (no offense). This just isn;t the same game at all.

To the OP, TPFAP would be a good read for you, as the difference btwn ring games and tourneys is substantial, but adapting from limit ring to limit tourney is not that hard.

CSC

redrooski24
06-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Thats what I figured, guess if I ever dive into LHE tournys its gonna be some $11s on stars. Seeing as I'm not even a limit ringer might make this one even more difficult as I play almost stricly NL cash and MTTs. Any quick advice you can offer for these limit tournys?

CardSharpCook
06-07-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats what I figured, guess if I ever dive into LHE tournys its gonna be some $11s on stars. Seeing as I'm not even a limit ringer might make this one even more difficult as I play almost stricly NL cash and MTTs. Any quick advice you can offer for these limit tournys?

[/ QUOTE ]

play limit ring for a month. Read books on Limit. Different game, man.

redrooski24
06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the advice, man.

CardSharpCook
06-07-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the advice, man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could help you more, I really do, but the first few steps really are all on you. Do your homework, come back with questions. GL.

redrooski24
06-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Oh I definitely know I need to get my own groundwork set for limit play. I actually have about 5k hands at 2/4 limit and have done ok with a winrate of 1.4bb/100. I played almost strictly ring games but with all this WSOP action I just went tourny crazy I guess and am actually happy with my results so far. I'm guessing the $11 LHE on stars is a good place to start if I want to pick up on limit MTTs?

Oh, and sorry for hijacking the thread.

FrankTheTank
06-08-2005, 05:59 AM
what are some of the adjustments that need to be made in the transition from limit cash games to limit mtt's? in cash games, it's correct to push every edge no matter how small, but this doesn't seem the way to go in tournies. is a tighter, more passive style generally correct in the first few levels (i.e. tightening up your opening standards, not pushing draws as strongly on the flop, etc)?

kurosh
06-08-2005, 06:08 AM
Limit MTTs suck. Variance is 100x worse than NL tournaments. There's just not anything you can do about it.

Arnfinn Madsen
06-08-2005, 06:36 AM
I have done quite well in limit MTTs (probably since I have played a lot of limit ring games and no limit MTTs).

In the beginning just play like you would at a regular ring game table (but taking into consideration that there are some very loose fish in limit MTTs), concentrate on how the other players play as the table in the beginning is very static (not many bust outs) so you get quite a few hands with the same opponents.

Later in the tourney all the loose fish is out and then it sometimes becomes very tight (at ring games 3-4 good players would leave then and it would loosen up /images/graemlins/smile.gif), then you can steal incredibly much (since many of them are a tad weak-tight or don't want to lose their seat). I raise from UTG with i.e. QJo and it pays off.

When appx. 10% of the players are left the stacks are so small compared to the blinds that it is more or less like a NL tourney. If you raise preflop and get called, you or the caller will likely end up all-in.

AlcateL
06-08-2005, 08:30 AM
I'd like to state how I play limit mtts on party because I CANNOT make a profit at 10/20 Limit ring games I have tried and for a few hours i was a good few big blinds down, yes variance etc I read both limit sections in both super systems and have read alot on this website but have not thus far been successful in limit ring games. (Unlike the US it seems limit is not at all popular in the UK caino's and cardrooms.)

However my limit mtt successes have been large, I've played one 30 seater at party and won it & about 4 limit mtts at party (Early morning like 130 runners) and came in the money 3 times, final table twice and first once. Equally I've played super wednesday only once but got into final 1/5th of people.
So I'm doing okay just I'd like to run by what I do and see if people think its okay.

Basically when the blinds are low, like the first 3-4 levels I'll play pretty much only when I'm quite sure my hand is likely to be the best hand, premium pairs AK etc, equally I'l lget away from hands quickly. consistantly this has got me up to 3-4k chips by the first break.
Still playing tight I guess I loosen up when BB is 100, but not considerably, Only when the Blinds are 200 or + do I start using position and reads to steal blinds consistantly, and it works. The reason why it works? A minraise is often enough to take down a pot, that never happens in NL so FE for a single bet is >>.

Anyway does that seem like the right way to play tournaments, because is NL when blinds are low you have to mix it up a little and extract fishies money, whereas it seems in limit you have to sit tight wait for the hands to extract fishies money

(The first 60 hands in limit oturnaments NEVER go unshowdowned it seems)

einbert
06-08-2005, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
? A minraise is often enough to take down a pot,

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif/images/graemlins/heart.gif/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Rex Ruthless
06-08-2005, 09:38 AM
For starters, try the UB $10+1 $1700 guaranteed 6seat limit tourney. I've played it twice - one 9th place and one 2nd place. It is easier to use aggression and position on the shorthanded table, and many poor players to capitalize off at this low buy-in. Then take your winnings from that and play the more expensive ones for "free" (haven't tried those yet, but soon . . .)

nath
06-08-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For starters, try the UB $10+1 $1700 guaranteed 6seat limit tourney. I've played it twice - one 9th place and one 2nd place. It is easier to use aggression and position on the shorthanded table, and many poor players to capitalize off at this low buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed

Blindcurve
06-08-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically when the blinds are low, like the first 3-4 levels I'll play pretty much only when I'm quite sure my hand is likely to be the best hand, premium pairs AK etc, equally I'l lget away from hands quickly. consistantly this has got me up to 3-4k chips by the first break.
Still playing tight I guess I loosen up when BB is 100, but not considerably, Only when the Blinds are 200 or + do I start using position and reads to steal blinds consistantly, and it works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been doing this too and it's been sucessful for me. Like CSC was saying earlier, it's a different game, and this strategy generally catches the NL players who are speeding around, (although sometimes they catch that gutter.) Seems like there's always someone in there who didn't read the lobby and suddenly realizes he HAS to make fixed bets. Which leads to something to be careful of: the steaming NL maniac. I remind my unobservant friends that, as always, reading is fundamental. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is the strategy that Phil outlines in his book. Perhaps the best and only advice I've taken from it. I stay really relatively tight longer than the 200/400 round though only because I find you can only really outright steal a blind if the people between you and the blinds can lay down a half a hand. Also, I just don't want to damage my position from so far out with a marginal situation. Consistently getting my money in good (well?) does so much more for my image and my eventual finish.

To the OP, the $39 sat to the PStars $215 is fun, small field, and of course, you have the option of playing the big one or padding your roll.

-D.

revots33
06-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Party has a soft $20 Limit tourney every Sunday night at 7:45. I've got 2 final tables in this out of 11 tries. Usually gets around 800 entries or so. Think they have the same tourney on Thursdays as well, but I've never played that one.

A list of all Party's Limit MTTs can be found here. (http://www.partypoker.com/news/events/limit-holdem-tournaments.htm)

I think I'm in the minority who prefers limit tourneys. Maybe that's because, in each of my best finishes, I recovered from set-over-set losses early, that probably would've cost me all my chips in a NL tourney. That, and I suck at NL. If you are a winning player at limit ring games I'm sure you could adjust to the MTTs.

Moonsugar
06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Extract value from your good hands.

Steal blinds with a stack and position.

Resteal.

Don't get bluffed off marginal hands on the bubble.

That's the advice I would give. Haven't played a ton of limit MTT but have done well in the ones I did. Am successful NL tourney player and will say that I feel out of water in a limit tourney cause I cant control opp. odds and I find it MUCH harder to steal on the bubble.

The opp. are very bad. Insane bluffs in the early stages. All the way to the river with air for 3-4 bets a round. It is insane.

Tim H
06-09-2005, 02:00 PM
biggest thing i've noticed:
1. beats in tourneys suck more than cash games (i think) so you better be level headed.
2. once the blinds are big you will get called down by 2nd/3rd pair so don't keep bluffing at a missed board