ThaSaltCracka
06-06-2005, 11:07 PM
who is picking Detroit, and why?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-06-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm sticking with Detroit.

ThaSaltCracka
06-06-2005, 11:13 PM
why? I think San Antonio has proven they can play any style of ball and still pwn. I see them winning in 5.

Blackjack
06-06-2005, 11:15 PM
Blah... I wanted to see a Heat Spurs final so bad. That woulda been sick. Those damn pistons always get there though.

Spurs in 6

Vince Young
06-06-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who is picking Detroit, and why?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Miami is the clear favorite IMO, but closely followed by the Pistons. East should probably repeat this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix1010
06-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Honestly, I don't think the Pistons stand a ghost of a chance in the finals. I remember saying that sometime before though...

ThaSaltCracka
06-06-2005, 11:18 PM
whats your point? I was pissed about those fuckers beating my sonics.

Aytumious
06-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Spurs were my favorite going into the year and I see no reason to change that opinion. Should be a tough series just because of the solid D and the good half court game of both teams. I may actually watch this year.

goofball
06-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Can't stop Tim Duncan.

Terrabon98
06-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Whoa, people are underestimating the Pistons! What a shock! Pistons in 6

holeplug
06-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Spurs are alot better offensively than the Pistons and their D is just about as good as Detriot's is. Spurs in 6 sounds about right.

Jakesta
06-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Since they are both #2 seeds, which team gets home court advantage? The team with the better record? If so that would be the Spurs.

ThaSaltCracka
06-06-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since they are both #2 seeds, which team gets home court advantage? The team with the better record? If so that would be the Spurs.

[/ QUOTE ]great, have you also figured out what 1+1 equals?

mcb
06-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Coulnt stop shaq and kobe either. Both games were close this season between Det and SA so this should be a good series.

ThaSaltCracka
06-06-2005, 11:33 PM
L.A. didn't have Horry last year, that was the key.

mcb
06-06-2005, 11:39 PM
That doesnt get rid of the fact that the pistons would have sweapt LA if b.wallace would have fouled shaq late in game 2. Horry wouldnt have had that great of a pull on the outcome of the games imo.

ThaSaltCracka
06-06-2005, 11:41 PM
I think something has gone way over your head.

mcb
06-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Dammit. I knew it.

ThaSaltCracka
06-06-2005, 11:45 PM
seriously though, the man pwns, most rings by an active player, been in the playoffs every year he has been in the league!!!!!!

But yeah, Horry wouldn't of mattered on LA last year.

mmbt0ne
06-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Not the NBA. Worst. Finals. Ever.

AngryCola
06-07-2005, 12:13 AM
I love the Pistons, but have to pick the Spurs.

It should be an interesting series, though.

DBowling
06-07-2005, 12:38 AM
spurs in 5 or 6

TStoneMBD
06-07-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well i guess we can safely assume that this is not dead. even dead isnt as stupid as this.

Phoenix1010
06-07-2005, 01:50 AM
I don't think this will be nearly as lopsided as people seem to think. 1-5 (maybe even 1-8), Detroit is the better team. Don't give Horry more credit than he deserves, he's an old fart and not nearly as good a perimeter shooter as some would think. And remember that Parker loves to wilt under pressure against strong defensive guards. Don't even get me started on Nesterovic. You can count on Duncan to be the rock that he is on both ends, and Manu to pull shots out of his ass like he always does. If the role players don't come through like they're supposed to (Barry NEEDS to hit big shots, and Bowen NEEDS to shut somebody down, preferably Rip), Detroit's balance and depth could easily pull this one out. It's all gonna come down to which Detroit team shows up. It's finals time, I'm expecting their best.

Jakesta
06-07-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well i guess we can safely assume that this is not dead. even dead isnt as stupid as this.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times do I have to tell you that I am not Dead?

Weatherhead03
06-07-2005, 02:02 AM
I hate Tim Duncan that is why Detroit will win.

ThaSaltCracka
06-07-2005, 02:14 AM
How is Detroit the better team? San Antonio totally shut down the best offense in the league in the conference finals. I personally don't think Detroit is physical enough to really hurt Parker. During the Sonics-Spurs series, the Sonics consistently knocked Parker to the ground, I don't see Detroit doing this, thus I see Parker having the confidence to drive to the hoop.

I think Bowen can hold Rip to 15 a game, which is good enough for me. Duncan will shut down Rasheed, guaranteed. Only weakness on D is probably Parker on Chauncey, and probably Manu on Teyshaun, but I still think they play good enough team D.

San Antonio has three legit options on offense, every time down the court, I don't think I can say the same for Detroit during this series, although it will be exciting to see.

The Armchair
06-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Mark it down.

namknils
06-07-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not the NBA. Worst. Finals. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phoenix1010
06-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Not physical enough? Are you kidding? Detroit is easily the second most physical team in the league, they blow Seattle out of the water in that regard, ESPECIALLY on the perimeter. Parker will get bumped, Parker will slither away.

Detroit has the best starting line up in the league, and no one is going to argue against that. 5 solid great players who can contribute very well offensively and defensively (even Big Ben's offense is picking up, and he's the defensive POTY). Detroit's offense can be scary efficient, because at any given time they have no less than 4 viable options who can score and move the ball well, and their defense is definitely on par with SA's. The Spurs have the best player, but they do not have a better starting five.

Bowen on Rip will be a key to this series, but I expect that it's going to be the team defense that shuts Rip down. Anyone watching two minutes of tape can see that the Heat screwed up cheating screens, I fully expect Pop to have some kind of defensive scheme that handles this much better. Rasheed is definitely going to have a tough time against Duncan. Tayshaun and Chauncey are going to have to step up big time, and we all know that they're capable of just that.

The Spurs have great defensive matchups, but so does Detroit. Duncan will not have an easy time scoring against either Wallace, and if they put Prince on Manu, I fully expect him to get shut down. Prince is one of the best one on one defenders in the league, and Detroit has excellent help interior defense. And I've already talked about Parker. Who knows how he's going to react to Billups, who's about 5 times stronger than he is.

I think it's going to be an interesting series. I'll concede that the Spurs have an advantage. I just don't think it will be a lopsided victory.

Clarkmeister
06-07-2005, 11:52 AM
You really don't follow the NBA very closely do you?

Clarkmeister
06-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Detroit is about a 2-1 dog. At that price I think Detroit is clearly the better bet. They just beat a team that is better than the one they'll be facing. Shaq > Duncan and Wade >> Ginobli. The Spurs got disrupted by the SONICS playing physical, good god what will happen when they see Detroit's defense. Sweeping the defenseless Suns has made them look better than they are. 2-1 is a monstrous price, even if they lose.

ThaSaltCracka
06-07-2005, 12:14 PM
Shaq when healthy is better than Duncan, but as for right now, clearly Duncan is the better player. As for the backcourt, Parker and Ginobbli> Wade and Jones. Really, not even close. Okay, the Spurs may not win in 5, but I still see them winning.

Clarkmeister
06-07-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shaq when healthy is better than Duncan, but as for right now, clearly Duncan is the better player. As for the backcourt, Parker and Ginobbli> Wade and Jones. Really, not even close. Okay, the Spurs may not win in 5, but I still see them winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are already retreating from the "Ginobli is a stud" declaration and going to the "Ginobli AND Parker" card? Classic.

The bottom line is the Heat were better than the Spurs. Slice it any way you want, but Wade>>Ginobli and Shaq>Duncan and the rest of the supporting cast is largely irrelevant. Again, you are getting carried away because of what happened to the crappy Suns.

ThaSaltCracka
06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
no, I still think Ginobbli is a stud, I am just not getting carried away here. One playoff series does not make the man. Wade is clearly the better player, but I think overall, the backcourt of the Spurs is better.

[ QUOTE ]
Again, you are getting carried away because of what happened to the crappy Heat.

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp /images/graemlins/wink.gif

college_boy
06-07-2005, 01:05 PM
WOW 2-1? That's a great bet.

holeplug
06-07-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Detroit is about a 2-1 dog. At that price I think Detroit is clearly the better bet. They just beat a team that is better than the one they'll be facing. Shaq > Duncan and Wade >> Ginobli. The Spurs got disrupted by the SONICS playing physical, good god what will happen when they see Detroit's defense. Sweeping the defenseless Suns has made them look better than they are. 2-1 is a monstrous price, even if they lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone was healthy I would say Miami has the better players but the Spurs coach is a ton better than Ron Jeremy and the Spurs bench is a little better than Miami's. Plus you can't discount the injuries Miami had. Wade figured out how to score on the Piston's and than goes down with that injury and clearly wasn't the same in game 7. And of course Shaq was playing on 1 leg for the entire series. Duncan is injured too but it doesn't seem to be affecting him as much as Shaq's injury did.

Aces McGee
06-07-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rest of the supporting cast is largely irrelevant

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony Parker vs. Damon Jones is hardly irrelevant.

-McGee

stankybank
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
SA in 7.

ibankonu
06-07-2005, 05:11 PM
All of you that are predicting Spurs in 5 are letting your personal bias against detroit cloud your judgment. Do i think detroit is going to win, yes. Is that a hometown bias, yes. However, in the last two years, the series between the pistons-spurs is tied at 2-2, with games being descided by 3, 8, 9, and 9 points, with detroit up 5 points overall. Yes, I know that points don't carry over. But you can't tell me that this is going to be a 5 game series for the Spurs. Anything less than a 7 game series is going to be a surprise to me.

Also, where some argue that Duncan is a better player than Shaq, detroit matches up with Duncan better. Either way, Duncan is going to get his, he always does. Ginobli is going to get his shots, but Tayshaun is going to give him some problems. He shut down Kobe last year and T Mac 2 years ago, and nothing against Ginobli, but he is neither of those players.

MarkL444
06-07-2005, 08:31 PM
detroit gettin no love again?? good.

PISTONS SWEEP IN 5!

Aytumious
06-07-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PISTONS SWEEP IN 5!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

blindu
06-07-2005, 08:50 PM
im not a doubter of detroit, and i thought they were a very good team last year, and if not better, than at least the same this year.

however, based on matchups, the spurs outgun the pistons. example: (offensive only)
Stars:
Tim Duncan > Rasheed Wallace
Manu Ginobili > Richard Hamilton

Bench:
Nazr Mohammed, Glenn Robinson, Robert Horry > Elden Campbell, Lindsey Hunter, Antonio McDyess

Defense:
the matchup of tayshaun prince and bruce bowen will be somewhat even. i think that bowen can contain Tayshaun's explosiveness, but conversely, Tayshaun can use his long arms to effectively guard those long corner 3's Bowen likes to hit.

in the end, superstars wise, the spurs outweigh the pistons. role players wise, the spurs outweigh the pistons. defensively, the entire year these two have been said to be the best defensive teams, so it's unclear as to which is bet ter. the spurs, however, can kick it into offensive gear when need be. take for example, the several times during the WCF that the spurs reached 100 before the team that has had the most PPG since the 95-96 Mavs.

the tandem of Ginobili-Duncan-Parker is better than the tandem of Hamilton-R. Wallace-Billups.

pistons will put up a fight, but in the end; spurs in 7.

ibankonu
06-07-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

however, based on matchups, the spurs outgun the pistons. example: (offensive only)
Stars:
Tim Duncan > Rasheed Wallace
Manu Ginobili > Richard Hamilton

[/ QUOTE ]

The Duncan over Wallace is true, Duncan is a top 3 big man in the league. But did you bother checking any stats before you posted the Ginobli over Hamilton? If you did, you would realize you are dead wrong. Just because a bucket is flashy doesn't mean it is worth any more than that 15 foot jumper.

[ QUOTE ]

Bench:
Nazr Mohammed, Glenn Robinson, Robert Horry > Elden Campbell, Lindsey Hunter, Antonio McDyess

[/ QUOTE ]
Last time i checked, Elden Campbell was brought in only to gaurd Shaq. That was the only reason. Why not mention Darko in your argument then. Because either way, the player is irrelevent. I was also under the impression Mohammed started.

[ QUOTE ]

the tandem of Ginobili-Duncan-Parker is better than the tandem of Hamilton-R. Wallace-Billups.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe. Duncan is better. Look at stats, and Hamilton-Billups is better than Parker-Ginobli. Prince and Ben are better than Bowen and Mohammed. Which would make detroit's staring 5 better.

Clarkmeister
06-22-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Worst. Finals. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Any mods want to transfer this to sports? TIA