PDA

View Full Version : Straddle defense

Vehn
01-03-2003, 11:27 AM
Say the player to your left straddles when UTG every hand. Should you pull your big blind back and post both blinds behind the button every time? Does it change if he raises off his straddle every time?

Should you be allowed to pull your blind back every hand?

J.A.Sucker
01-03-2003, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't do anything here about my BB - I'd much rather have him straddling, anyway. You need to considder the following:

1. How often do you get a free look at the flop in this game, without the straddler? If the answer is seldom, then it doesn't matter.

2. How do the others react to the straddle? Are there many people coming in for 2 bets? (Don't say anything if this is the case) Are good players isolating him for 3 bets? (Try to change seats, if possible)

3. How short is your bankroll? This will add some fluctuations to your game, since maniacs won't fold too often.

4. What hands aren't worth coming in for if you pick up a caller or two? Any 2 suited and connected cards 67o or higher are worth a play here, since UTG isn't a "real" raiser - unless he's a frequent 3 better on his straddle.

5. How maniacally does this guy play after the flop?

Straddles are usually done to promote action. Why wouldn't you want this? Don't pull the bets back and piss him off; let him keep straddling. If you're so worried about your BB (which you shouldn't be), or if other factors are hurting you here (see above), then ask dealer for a seat change - moving as far away from the maniac as possible. You could also try to get on his left, so that you can isolate him by 3 betting weakish hands if you want to. However, this is a high variance proposition, and you could take some terrible beats along the way. Also, if there are other very good players, you may be 4 bet since they would have position on you. Since it seems like the higher variance isn't good for you, then move as far away as possible.

Just my opinion, but I'm Just Another Sucker.

Clarkmeister
01-03-2003, 03:48 PM
Generally I'd deal with it the first few times, but after the 3rd or 4th, I'd seat change. While waiting for that, I would stand up, walk for a second and come back behind the button. I think that picking up the blind and sitting waiting for the button to pass is a bit too confrontational and could ruin the table by changing the mood.

Bob T.
01-03-2003, 05:36 PM
I think you look for a seat change at the first opportunity. Other than that, I would sometimes be walking on my blind, sometimes I might pull it back, and sometimes I would play it. If you are in a 3-6 game, (I know you don't play there, but others do) where the small blind is 1/3 I would tend to not play a lot in this situation. One time at the park, after about three straddles on my left, I pulled my blind back, and took a short walk. When I got back to post behind the button, another player posted the makeup blind for me. I guess he had had enough straddles too.

Good Luck,
Play Well,

Bob T.

Dynasty
01-03-2003, 08:22 PM
JA,

Having somebody straddle your big blind is a really big deal. If you never get a free play in your big blind, your losing quite a bit of EV.

Changing seats is the best option.

Ed Miller
01-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Having someone straddle your blind every time sucks... and you should try to avoid the situation. Pulling your blind back every time will make you look like a nit, though.. even if it is legal (which I'm not sure it is) and others won't want to play with you. I think you need a seat change or... failing that... a game change.

Vehn
01-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Sorry, should have mentioned I did put in for a seat change (especially since I don't particularly want the live one immediately to my left anyways), but I didn't think it was coming any time soon and took a table change to the other game which turned out to be a better game anyways.

Yerma
01-05-2003, 01:09 AM
Listen,

You are a poker playing gentleman playing in a man's game. Some fool says "Up the stakes, boys!" You can either afford it or not (then play at another table or in another seat). The theory money you are losing is offset by getting the table in a gambling mood and your humongous trashtalk the second he puts in that extra bet.

J.A.Sucker
01-05-2003, 05:50 PM
In the games I play, I feel blessed if I can see the flop for free from the BB - there's a raise half the time or more (not always with cards that deserve it, mind you). As for the EV lost, I don't think that it can amount to more than a couple of bucks an hour in lost EV (at most) in a typical 20-40 game to have some dude straddle your BB if nobody else is changing their style of play to isolate (since many hands will be worth a play for 1 more bet against a random holding) the maniac. This was the main point I tried to make in my original post; it's not the straddler that hurts your EV, I believe that it's the other good players (who have position on you) who will make it 3 bets in order to get it headsup with fair hands. This is a disaster for your EV since you can't get in against the live player with all that dead money in the pot (including your BB). I'm gonna post a hand that brings up this idea on the midlimit forum, since it occured last night.

Trefo
01-06-2003, 01:31 AM
Change tables or seat position.