PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Gavin Griffin Cheering Thread

augie00
06-06-2005, 09:46 PM
For those of us who are supporting Gavin through his trek at the WSOP. Updates on Gavin: chip counts, cashes, etc.

Cheer him on folks. Me and about a dozen others wanna make some COIN!

augie00
06-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Event #2 - Out in first level
Event #3 - Out in first level
Event #4 - Cash : $1590
Event #5 - Out (don't know when)

Eric Draven
06-06-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those of us who are supporting Gavin through his trek at the WSOP. Updates on Gavin: chip counts, cashes, etc.

Cheer him on folks. Me and about a dozen others wanna make some COIN!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm kinda new here...

He won the Pot Limit event last year, right?

Is he a 2+2-er?

augie00
06-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Yes, and yes. About a dozen of us have a piece of him at the WSOP.

blumpkin22
06-06-2005, 10:26 PM
You guys are gonna make BANK! j/k

Off to a slow start, but I hope he turns it around. Good luck Gavin.

CCx
06-06-2005, 10:43 PM
i'm glued to the pokerpages/cardplayer/pokerwire sites daily starting at 3pm /images/graemlins/grin.gif GO GAVIN!

IHateKeithSmart
06-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Same boat. It's much more fun when you have a horse in the race. Following the wsop gives me something to do during work.

Zinzan
06-06-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, and yes. About a dozen of us have a piece of him at the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though not active until after his win last year. I think I remember him introducing himself to 2+2 shortly after his bracelet win came premiered on ESPN.

Re: backing Gavin, why are people backing him? Not saying it's a bad idea, just curious. From his ESPN appearance and/or his contributions to 2+2, did you decide you like the way he plays and believe in him? From his other accompishments?

Again, not a slam, just curious.

BTW, how has he been performing online? I've only run across him at a couple Party tournaments.

-Z

CCx
06-06-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Re: backing Gavin, why are people backing him? Not saying it's a bad idea, just curious. From his ESPN appearance and/or his contributions to 2+2, did you decide you like the way he plays and believe in him? From his other accompishments?

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the above for me. I enjoy reading his contributions, I've watched him play a bunch online and I like the way he plays, and he's been absolutely on fire in terms of his online tourney play leading up to the WSOP. For me the money for the stake was not insignificant, but these bills aren't going to pay themselves and I'd just as soon gamble on sports, poker, horses, raindrops, etc. before I paid them. So I signed up for what seemed to be a pretty good deal for everyone involved and a chance to make some money. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

IHateKeithSmart
06-06-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

espn, posts here, online record, etc. Mostly, I just like to gamble.

I have sort of a split personality when it comes to $. I am pretty stingy when it comes to gambling on myself (I wouldn't enter a big buyin tourney b/c I know I'd have no chance). However, I'm more than happy to bet it on someone who I think can do something with it.

Also, since he's playing so many events, I thought it would make watching the wsop more fun (which it has). If he doesn't make anything, it's no big deal (not that the $ money means nothing to me) - it's still fun to root.

Zinzan
06-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the response, CCx. And good luck (to you and to Gavin).

-Z

Jake (The Snake)
06-06-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Though not active until after his win last year. I think I remember him introducing himself to 2+2 shortly after his bracelet win came premiered on ESPN.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought too but as I was searching through Ed Miller posts in the archive the other day I stumbled upon some posts by Gavin.

Zinzan
06-06-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's what I thought too but as I was searching through Ed Miller posts in the archive the other day I stumbled upon some posts by Gavin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay... I'm pretty sure I remember him introducing himself last summer/fall, but it could have been a reintroduction after we could put a face to the name. Can't find him in 2+2 search, though... are you saying he was posting under "Gavin" then?

-Z

Jake (The Snake)
06-07-2005, 12:04 AM
First Post (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=mediumholdem&Number=148763 &Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=200& Main=148704&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=619&dat erange=1&newerval=3&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertyp e=&bodyprev=#Post148763)

augie00
06-07-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From his ESPN appearance and/or his contributions to 2+2, did you decide you like the way he plays and believe in him? From his other accompishments?

[/ QUOTE ]

He was on a roll in the month before the WSOP, and gambling is fun. Besides, the price was right and I couldn't live with myself if gavin takes down the main event and I miss out on $100k

nolanfan34
06-07-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't live with myself if gavin takes down the main event and I miss out on $100k

[/ QUOTE ]

That was pretty much my reason right there.

Paluka
06-07-2005, 09:44 AM
I don't know Gavin or anyone who has a piece of him, but I'm rooting against him hardcore.

drewjustdrew
06-07-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know Gavin or anyone who has a piece of him, but I'm rooting against him hardcore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you should be happy that he just lost his status as the youngest WSOP title holder.

CCx
06-07-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you must have a lot of friends

chaas4747
06-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Details, I am at work and can't access any of the update sites.

drewjustdrew
06-07-2005, 12:15 PM
According to Pokerpages, the guy that won the limit holdem event turned 21 on 2/9/05. I think Gavin was just over 22 when he won.

1 Eric Froehlick (Los Angeles, CA, USA) $361,910
2 Jason Steinhorn (Cupertino, CA, USA) $182,040
3 Todd Witteles (Las Vegas, NV, USA) $115,810
4 Adam Hersh ( Agoura Hills, CA, USA) $101,335
5 Christian Van Hees (Seattle, WA, USA) $86,855
6 Devon Armstrong (Toronto, ON) $72,380
7 Peter Costa (Leicester, United Kingdom) $57,905
8 Wing Wong (Rowland Heights, CA, USA) $43,430
9 Jason Steinhorn (Cupertino, CA, USA) $28,950

[ QUOTE ]
The 'E-Fro' Show! Eric Froehlich becomes youngest WSOP winner ever!
Last year, Gavin Griffin became the youngest player in history to ever win a World Series of Poker gold bracelet. With so many young people now turned on to poker, however, it seemed just a matter of time before a younger star would emerge and eclipse the record. That moment came at precisely 4 am Tuesday, after an all-night poker marathon lasting 16 hours. Eric Froehlich, a 21-year-old professional poker player, won the $1,500 buy in Limit Hold'em championship. At exactly 21 years, 3 months, and 3 days of age, 'E-Fro' established a new all-time benchmark for the youngest poker champion.

[/ QUOTE ]

chaas4747
06-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks!

Prime Time
06-07-2005, 12:28 PM
I have met and know Gavin. Have played live ring and tourneys with him as well as on-line.
And trust him and his abilities.
And yes I got a piece.
Go Gavin!

MowrMowr
06-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Short handed No Limit is all about position, so to start I've noted table where there are more than one name player and who's sitting behind whom.

By table, in seat order (not necessarily consecutive):

Mike Matusow, Alam Goehring

Joe Beever, Dustin Sitar

Ross Boatman, Thomas Keller, Johan Storakers

Jeff Shulman, Ram Vaswani, Michael Mizrachi, Allen Kessler

H Voulgaris, Michael Gracz, Harry Demitriou

Gavin Griffen, Antonio Esfandiari

Burt Boutin, Surinder Sunar

Phil Gordon, Max Pescatori, Terry Fleischer

Chau Giang, Marco Traniello, Annie Duke

Eli Elezra, Asher Derei

Marlon Santos, Glyn Banks

Daniel Negreanu, TJ Cloutier

Amnon Filippi, Billy Baxter

Mel Wiener, Greg Raymer, Freddy Deeb, Brett Jungblut

David Williams, Johnny Chan, Victor Ramdin, Luis Santori

Namad Medic, Davood Mehrmand

Kenna James, Bruce Yamron

Allie Prescott, Gavin Smith

Richard Tatalovich, Blair Rodman, Alex Prendes

Tomer Benvenisti, Arturo Diaz, Josh Arieh

Joe Awada, Tommy Grimes

Jeffrey Lisandro, Cyndy Violette

Avi Kaufman, Rafe Furwst

Hung La, Mike Sexton

Minh Ly, Nam Le

Evelyn Ng, John Myung, Bob Hume

Peter Giordano, Tobey Maguire

Jay Moriarty, Can Hua

Young Phan, Steve Zolotow, Lee Watkinson

Mel Judah, Phil Ivey

Hon Le, Humberto Brenes, Steve Crockett

Richard Brodie, Billy Conner, Reza Pahlavi

Mike Laing, Cecilia Reyes

Tex Morgan, Spencer Sun, David Levi, Stan Goldstein

John D'Agnostino, Abe Gray, Harry Thomas

Gary Jones, Gerald Cheatham

Paul Darden, Huck Seed, Dewey Tomko

T Brunson, Greg Hopkins

Chip Jett, Mike Sica, Mimi Tran

Lee Markholdt, Tuan Le

Scott Fischman, Senthil Kumar

VAn Nguyen, David Plastik

Randy Holland, Kristy Gazes, Tony Ma

Jeff Rine, John Cernuto

web page (http://www.pokerpages.com/blog-players/poker-mike-paulle.htm)

IHateKeithSmart
06-07-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Gavin Griffen, Antonio Esfandiari

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh, someone tell gavin to look out for the rocks and rings.

ClaytonN
06-07-2005, 07:04 PM
http://www.pokerpages.com/gallery2/d/10692-2/Day%204%20016.jpg

augie00
06-07-2005, 10:11 PM
He's disapeared from Paulle's list on his blog. So I guess he's out of event #6 /images/graemlins/frown.gif

whiskeytown
06-08-2005, 12:19 AM
I oughta kick his ass...

I told him to call me if he busted out early and I'd buy him a beer and hook up since I was in vegas -

cause I didn't get a call, I assumed he was making us a bunch of money...instead he was probably hanging out with strippers and getting lap dances without me...

so depressing - ah well - sounds like he came back from a short stack to make this first money finish, so plenty of time to go -

jesus...with these fields, one win and mega bucks - whoever thought the preliminary event would get up to 750000 for first, in a $1500 buyin....LOL - jesus... - looks like it's died down a bit now though.

RB