PDA

View Full Version : QQ hand

i_play_pokah
06-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Party $400 NL, PokerTracker labels SB as a tight solid player. His preflop reraise smells of a high PP. My preflop read is AA-JJ, or AK. What is the best line here?

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)
SB ($422)
Hero ($243.95)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $11</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $33</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $24.

Flop: ($74) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, SB calls $25.

Turn: ($124) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $100</font>
Hero.... ???

i_play_pokah
06-06-2005, 09:52 PM
bump

captZEEbo1
06-06-2005, 10:50 PM
You bet flop and turn like a wuss (1/3 pot bet and 1/4 pot bet), which looks to him as "here's my chance to steal whatever garbage he's betting with". I bet flop and turn bigger. Given way hand plays out, I might call or reraise. I think betting pot stronger defines your hand better.

What were you trying to accomplish by betting 30 on the turn? If you were hoping for a cheap showdown, you are sorely mistaken, b/c better hands raise, and worse hands will probably just bluff (or get a very good price on their draw).

Stop playing scared poker, as this is bad for shania and winninf. If you go broke with overpairs every so often, no harm done. You can't just bet big when you have teh nutz.

Alex/Mugaaz
06-06-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You bet flop and turn like a wuss (1/3 pot bet and 1/4 pot bet), which looks to him as "here's my chance to steal whatever garbage he's betting with". I bet flop and turn bigger. Given way hand plays out, I might call or reraise. I think betting pot stronger defines your hand better.

What were you trying to accomplish by betting 30 on the turn? If you were hoping for a cheap showdown, you are sorely mistaken, b/c better hands raise, and worse hands will probably just bluff (or get a very good price on their draw).

Stop playing scared poker, as this is bad for shania and winninf. If you go broke with overpairs every so often, no harm done. You can't just bet big when you have teh nutz.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of this is true but this is still the easiest laydown ever.

Chris Daddy Cool
06-07-2005, 01:10 AM
you're really asking for the pot to be taken away from you when you bet that little on the turn. either bet a good amount or don't bet at all. now you're stuck in this impossible situation where you can't call this raise.

ML4L
06-07-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you're really asking for the pot to be taken away from you when you bet that little on the turn. either bet a good amount or don't bet at all. now you're stuck in this impossible situation where you can't call this raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. Where did you first learn this?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

Chris Daddy Cool
06-07-2005, 01:31 AM
how's vegas?

ML4L
06-07-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how's vegas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm back. I'll post a quick summary sometime this week.

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 02:25 AM
So most of the advice here is leaning towards betting more on the turn... Around $50.

What do you do if he pops you there? I might give him credit for a set... QJs isn't out the question either seing as how he opened the pot up for a small raise. Smells like 888.

Blackjack

piki
06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
If you know he is tight and you have position, I would 2/3 - 3/4 pot the flop (and turn) to define your hand. If you are raised either one, well ... your call /images/graemlins/wink.gif

not_da_nizzles
06-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Kinda looks like JJ to me ...

Re-raises to isolate pre-flop. Probably puts you on AK on the flop and waits for a non AK turn. After the turn his hand is looking really good (he only has 6 outs for the win but he doesn't know that).

So .... after writing that, I thought about how AA/KK would play it, and it could be much the same. Bet more on the flop and turn to define the hands better - right now you look weak and are asking for the pot to be taken away on the turn.

mj

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Wouldn't most overpairs raise the flop to figure out where they are at?

Most sets would definitely wait till the turn like in this case to pop a raise/checkraise

Blackjack

thabadguy
06-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I dont think it is very relevant to this hand, but..
what would u do, if you were villain,holding a set and have seen hero raise pf with sc's? raise flop right?

Blackjack
06-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Wait till the turn to pop the raise.. that's what I'd do.

I'd rather lead directly into the PFR with a set though and C/R the turn.

Blackjack