PDA

View Full Version : amount of tvs plugged in effect cable modem bandwidth?

ceyoung
06-06-2005, 07:20 PM
my landlady is crazy and she partitioned the top floor of her house into 8 small rooms. this is to go along with the 4 bedrooms downstairs. at last count there were around 8 tvs plugged into a single cable connection to go along with a cable modem and 5 computers plugged into that. before last week there werent as many tvs or computers as there were only 5 total people in the house. now that everyone has moved in my internet connection seems to be slower. anything i can do to restore bandwidth?

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-06-2005, 07:22 PM
http://dasfool.aroo.tv/images/WireCutter.jpg

Drunk Bob
06-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Too many splitters.If you are paying for broadband;Bitch Bitch'Bitch

stabn
06-06-2005, 07:25 PM
The answer to the title is no. They use a seperate portion of the cables spectrum for TV and internet. The number of computers on the connection is what is slowing you down.

Drunk Bob
06-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Cheap tool.

Drunk Bob
06-06-2005, 07:28 PM
One cable and one internet account?

ceyoung
06-06-2005, 07:31 PM
one cable to a wireless router.

thanks stabn, thats what i was really wondering. kinda wandered off topic.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-06-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
one cable to a wireless router.

thanks stabn, thats what i was really wondering. kinda wandered off topic.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you've got potentially 12+ people connecting into one cable modem? Is she making you pay for this?

Drunk Bob
06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
It has to do with the # of splitters before the 1 going to the wireless router. Sounds like your landlord is trying to feed the building off one account.

A former cable cop.

ceyoung
06-06-2005, 07:39 PM
i pay $600/mo for a room, utilities, cable, and internet. and up until last week it was only 5 people in the house. Two on the top floor where i live, which has 2 bathrooms and a kitchen . id move out, but im leaving new york aug. 1, so its not really worth the hassle.

stabn
06-06-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It has to do with the # of splitters before the 1 going to the wireless router. Sounds like your landlord is trying to feed the building off one account.

A former cable cop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that she does not need to split more than one time before going to the cable modem she most likely didn't. She would simply keep splitting the cable TV end of the connection. He could find that out for sure if he really wanted.

ceyoung
06-06-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

A former cable cop.

[/ QUOTE ]
yah shes shady. her property is zoned for a single family and will have 12 people on the property. plus she never got a permit to do all the construction for the partitions.

Drunk Bob
06-06-2005, 07:45 PM
She is a cable expert? HaHa More important does she play poker /images/graemlins/cool.gif

stabn
06-06-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i pay $600/mo for a room, utilities, cable, and internet. and up until last week it was only 5 people in the house. Two on the top floor where i live, which has 2 bathrooms and a kitchen . id move out, but im leaving new york aug. 1, so its not really worth the hassle.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be able to convince her to get a DSL connection instead and have half the rooms use it that you effectively have the bandwidth you did before. I doubt she would be willing to get another cable modem though. There's too much $$ risk for her on that road currently.

stabn
06-06-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She is a cable expert? HaHa More important does she play poker /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to be an expert, it is simply the easiest way to do it.

Drunk Bob
06-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Even if it is only split it can still be Effed UP.

A landlord cheating the cable co does not tend to get it right.

stabn
06-06-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if it is only split it can still be Effed UP.

A landlord cheating the cable co does not tend to get it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, it could be. Depending on his speed degredation though it is much more likely that it is simply the influx in users...

ceyoung
06-06-2005, 07:55 PM
ill check tomorrow to see if she has it directly plugged in. since we have a bunch of splitters your assumption is probably correct, and its not split correctly.

Drunk Bob
06-06-2005, 08:03 PM
My point is people that know nothing about cable tend to make mistakes.

I remember the time I went to a $750,000 house and it loop wired! 1 wire to the 1st box behind the wallplate.Another wire feeding out of that box leading to the 2nd box.And so on 6 times..

I hope they shot the contractor! /images/graemlins/cool.gif