PDA

View Full Version : just sheer luck or really skilled

Mikey
01-02-2003, 06:53 PM
I was at the Taj a few days ago scoping out some games, the local 10-20 and the 15-30 plus.......now I don't remember what table it was, and the funny thing is......I had just read an article about a similar hand just like this in Card Player Magazine about STU UNGAR CALLING the 1990 winner of WSOP with 10 high when the played heads up.

The guy on the button (looked sort of young) called on the button. the small blind raised and the BB 3-bet. the button called as did the small blind.

The flop came up 8 3 5 I don't remember the suits

The SB checked, immediately after he checked the button started talking to him I guess to get a read on him or something, the BB bet out and the button thought about it and called.

The SB folded. ?? That was strange.

On the turn fell an 8. The BB lead out and the the button started with his chatter, I honestly don't remember what they were saying but the button called.

On the river fell a 5 and the BB bet out.
The button said something to him like you don't have anything. The button called. The BB flung his cards in the muck while a 4 was flased.

Did the button get lucky making this play. The button flipped up 10h9h. saying that he called because he knew he didn't have anything.

Could this guy be this good or did he just get completely lucky. These are the calls I dream about making. Given this position would you call with 10high???????

Glenn
01-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Sheer luck. If the button was actually good he would have raised at some point in the hand. What if the BB's nothing is Qx or Jx? So then he makes his call and he loses while if he raised he would have won the pot. In fact, raising may also fold many better hands. Also, any good player raises with T9 suited on the button right?

Ed Miller
01-02-2003, 07:35 PM
One thing I noticed about some bluffers... they will muck their cards immediately when called without a showdown. Against such a bluffer, it is probably better to simply call a suspected bluff rather than raise it, as your cards, no matter what they are, won't have to survive a showdown.

I was playing at a game about two weeks ago where three (loose, and in basically every pot) players were all habitually bluffing (to the point that about one river bet in three at least was a bluff). Though I didn't end up in many pots that night, the ones I did end up in, I called on the end no matter what I had. I got two "free gifts" with absolutely nothing (on the order of ten high). That is the main reason that I showdown all of my bluffs... because not doing so can become an exploitable strategy.

Dynasty
01-02-2003, 08:58 PM
I'm sure you realize the Big Blind wasn't bluffing on the earlier streets. It seems very likely that he had 44, value bet the whole way, and then made a necessary bluff on the river.

pokerMAM
01-06-2003, 10:42 AM
If BB had 44 or any high cards he should have called. The button was indicating he didn't beleive he needed much of anything to win when he said "you don't have anything". I think any pair or big card should call.

maggie

Ed Miller
01-06-2003, 06:46 PM
44 would have been counterfeited. Three pair no good... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Dynasty
01-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Time to practice reading boards. BB's hand would have been 88554. Button's hand is 8855T.

pokerMAM
01-07-2003, 01:34 AM