PDA

View Full Version : A big thanks to 2+2

Terminus
06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Hello,

I've been playing almost two years and I've read quite a bit here. I mainly play very small NL home games and small SnGs online.

I used to play super tight and try to fold my way into the money. I used to fear bubble play because the blinds were so big and I needed cards to win. It felt like hanging on the edge of a cliff with my fingertips.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but over the past few months my shorthanded play has dramatically improved. I'm much more aggressive and tend to make life hell on any shortstacked or supertight players. I really enjoy getting close to the bubble and just controlling the table. I have many, many more wins than I used to.

I think one thing that really changed the way I play is when I recognized that some situations warrant pushing/calling with any two. I find that a nice side effect of this is that good players will recognize when you are committed and that you have an understanding of the math. It just puts the fear of god into bad players, which is hilarious. When I'm in the BB and bust AQo with 58s because he only had 3BBs, people tend to leave your blinds alone for a while.

Out of 98 $5 & $10s at Party, I've finished ITM in 47 with 18 wins. I realize that is not impressive by any means around here, but I didn't start to get better until about halfway through those. I just moved to Full Tilt and I'm really, really enjoying the blind structure there. So far out of 6 $10s I've had 3 wins and 1 second.

I realize this is an extremely small sample size and is probably not a large indicator of my skill level. I also realize that I will never be buying a NSX from $10 SnG winnings. However, I feel like something has really shifted in my game. I feel like I can see things that other players don't (on a math level, as I can't look into people's souls yet). I feel in control and I'm having fun. And for that I wanted to thank all of you.

Mr_J
06-06-2005, 04:26 PM
"Out of 98 $5 & $10s at Party, I've finished ITM in 47 with 18 wins. I realize that is not impressive by any means around here"

Actually the only unimpressive thing about those stats is the sample size. The figures themselves are very good (18% 1sts).

"NSX"

Great car /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Newt_Buggs
06-06-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm glad that you've founds this forum as helpful as I have and congratulations on your recent success. Just remember that you will eventually reach a downswing where every counterintuitive play that is correct will backfire and it will seem like everything that you do fails. Just make sure that you keep this attitude and from the looks of your post you will continue to destroy the $10s. Best of luck to you

Scuba Chuck
06-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Terminus, now that you understand your former self, be sure to utilize that to your advantage. Poker is a lot more about the people (read: psychology) than the cards. The more you understand the self (especially a changed you), the better player you can be when you can identify your former style.

Good luck at the tables.
Scuba

sahala
06-06-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

It just puts the fear of god into bad players, which is hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice.

You really ought to start chanting in verse right before a big push.

Terminus
06-06-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You really ought to start chanting in verse right before a big push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do! It goes like this "please don't call me, please don't call me..." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the replies guys. I think it's neat that two of them instantly went to psychology. I know I haven't been playing very long, but so far I've done a lot of the stupid things everybody warns you about: playing when tired (physically or mentally), chasing my losses, letting downswings affect my game, etc.

For me, poker has generated an enormous amount of self-examination that I never thought was possible from something so simple as "a game". I'm sure the same is true for most of you as well.

Blarg
06-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Good luck. You did indeed realize something kind of anti-instinctual that's key to playing SNG's -- you sometimes have to pretty much ignore your cards and play your situation, not your cards. Stack sizes, position, whether anyone else is in the hand or likely to be, whether you're ITM or on the bubble, player tightness -- all can have much more importance than the actual cards you hold. Realizing that alone is enough to turn the game around for most beginners.

Good luck!

Moonsugar
06-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Congrats.