PDA

View Full Version : Cinderella Man

nolanfan34
06-06-2005, 03:16 PM
I haven't seen anyone post a review yet on OOT, so here goes.

I liked it a lot. I had read The Sports Guy's review of it on ESPN.com, so my expectations were not particularly high.

But I think he was nit-picking. The boxing scenes are pretty exciting I think, and yeah, the action is fast and it's hard to tell who is hitting who in a few shots, but it's pretty easy to understand. I mean, you know the results of the bouts already, and Howard still makes them exciting.

The script isn't anything phenomonal, and the acting is solid but not spectacular. Would it surprise me if it gets some Oscar love? No. Do I think it's a groundbreaking Oscar worthy movie? No. Is it entertaining and a good story? Yes, for sure.

Paul Giamatti is very good in the manager role. Renee Chesney does Renee things, and is solid in the wet blanket wife role. The guy who plays Max Baer is pretty funny, and very scary when he's pissed in the ring.

And of course Crowe is great. I don't know how much of the boxing scenes were actually him, but he does a great job again of making you believe him in his role - I never looked at him on the screen and thought of his past roles, which is unavoidable with someone like George Clooney, who only is capable of playing one character.

And to answer the spoiler question someone posted a few days ago, the Louis fight is mentioned at the end, but not shown.

sublime
06-06-2005, 03:23 PM
is this based on a tru story?

Toro
06-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Yes. James Braddock.

link (http://www.cinderellamanmovie.com/index.php)

braddock link (http://www.jamesjbraddock.com/)

krazyace5
06-06-2005, 03:42 PM
They have been playing the true story one of the cable channels, the history channel I think. Incredible story.

The Dude
06-06-2005, 03:47 PM
I was pretty impressed. I had mixed feelings about the film going in, and really wasn't sure whether I'd be impressed or disappointed, but it turned out to be very well done. Good story, good acting, good times.

-Skeme-
06-06-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm gonna go watch The Insider.

KungFuSandwich
06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
What impressed me was the way most of the fighters were conditioned. Most of them looked like the old fighters.

I also liked Baer's sweet Star of David shorts.

nolanfan34
06-06-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What impressed me was the way most of the fighters were conditioned. Most of them looked like the old fighters.

I also liked Baer's sweet Star of David shorts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at the pics on the Braddock web site, it's clear that they kind of embellished the stuff the boxers wore, but I agree, I thought that was good stuff.

Also in looking at that site, they did a good job of making Crowe look like him.

slamdunkpro
06-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Stupid question (boxing challenged /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Who was Cinderella man?

Rick Nebiolo
06-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Good post. I finally saw this tonight, fearing it will soon be pushed out of theaters by "War of the Worlds" (opening Wednesday).

Go see it soon on the real big screen.

~ Rick

trotski
06-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Agreed, this movie was phenomenal. I want to hate Russell Crowe because he's such a jackass in real life, but he is a helluva an actor. Cinderella Man has become my second favorite boxing film of all time, second only to Raging Bull.

Giamatti and the guy who played Baer were awesome. Also, did anyone know that Jethro from the Beverly Hillbillies TV show was Max Baer's son?? I had no idea, until about a week before Cinderella Man came out. (I know, I'm a douche.)