PDA

View Full Version : Query: Firing back with a shallow stack

danger_mouse
06-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Situation: Deep into a lower level MTT (say $10-$30), but still a good ways away from the bubble. You have ~15BB. An aggressive bigger stack 25BB keeps stealing (say 100% of the orbits when he opens) the blinds when you are in SB (BB gives up very easily and has 12BB).

Question: What hands do you fire back with? And how much? Allin? Something less? Or do you stop in go? If so, with what hands?

Assume the bigger stack is raising something standard like 3BB.

A_PLUS
06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
I think your only raise is a push, you dont want to putting close to 50% of your chips in here without committing them all.

I like to make this move with premium hands (AA-TT, AJ+, KQs), and hands that arent likely to be dominated. I avoid hands like A7, K8, etc. in favor of 76s.

Jax_Grinder
06-06-2005, 03:37 PM
I push back with anything 88 or better and as low as 10Js or better (but not too happy about it if I haven't seen any of his holdings - its not unthinkable that he might actually be getting playable hands each time given that he is making an open raise).

You left out one option which I think is valuable here. The ole' stop and go. He may very well call your all-in pf for 10 more BB (leaving him with 10 BB or so if he loses) with any A, K or Q (esp. if sooted), any pair and 910s or better? On the other hand, if you call his raise and any flop from EP, he is almost certain to fold if the flop misses him or he doesn't catch TP.

Sluss
06-06-2005, 03:52 PM
I really like the stop and go here with J10, 76s and the like.

If I think he is going to call more often than 50% of the time I will push with AA-1010, plus AK, AQ.

HeroInBlack
06-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Let me preface my response by saying I have never played an event with a buy-in bigger than $11, but I do very well in those.

I try to get an idea in my mind what percentage of the time he's doing this. If it's over 40% of the times it's folded to him, I only need A7 or 55 to push 'em in. I don't like anyone at the table to feel comfortable raising into me once the blinds get big. Every once in a while, you're going to end up dominated or taking a coin flip, but I'll take the coin flip every time if I'm that short-stacked.

The above may be questionable, but I don't think this is: if you're down to 15BB, you can't just reraise to 8BB. You're not gonna fold at that point. You might do that with AA or KK trying to induce a call if he's a real donk, but if he's any good, push 'em and make him think.