PDA

View Full Version : advice: buying washer & dryer

waffle
06-06-2005, 02:23 PM
I just graduated from college and I'm moving off campus. I need to buy a washer and a dryer for my new apartment and I don't know what I should be looking for. Should I get a certain brand? Is there a specific feature I need to look out for? Will Sears rip me off? I'm a bachelor with no roomates, so I don't need a high-capacity machine. I'm expecting to drop about $1k in total. Is this about right? Any advice appreciated, I'm rather clueless about this.

Alobar
06-06-2005, 02:25 PM
sears wont rip you off. You can get a setup more than adequite for your needs for less than a grand.

I think my washer was like $400, and my dryer was like $250?

gorie
06-06-2005, 02:29 PM
i'm gonna have to buy a washer & dryer this month too. i'll probably go with the one my parents have since i like it. it is a frigidaire , like $350 each and pretty nice.

Stu Pidasso
06-06-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm expecting to drop about $1k in total. Is this about right? Any advice appreciated, I'm rather clueless about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a washer and dryer. I bought a really nice dryer for $75 bucks from a used appliance store. You could buy a decent washer and dryer for under $200.

Stu

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Get the Sears frontloader for the washer. Not the top top of the line, but the one that looks just like it. I've got it, but I can't be bothered to go down in the basement to get the name - I'm sure you'll figure it out. It's more expensive up front, but it's worth it. Then, you can either get the matching dryer, or do what I did and get a cheaper dryer, but make sure you get one with the capacity to take the larger loads you can fit in the washer. I know you're not planning on huge loads, but it would be silly to buy a dryer that can't handle what your washer can put out and the one I got wasn't any more expensive than a smaller one.

Stu Pidasso
06-06-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it is a frigidaire , like $350 each and pretty nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The used dryer I bought for $75 is a frigidaire. Its a great machine.

Stu

M2d
06-06-2005, 02:40 PM
check your county and water company. we got a front loader from sears and the additional cost was offset by the rebates we got from the power and water companies (they save a ton of water and energy). additionally, your water consumption and detergent consumption will go down dramatically (we use less than a quarter of the detergent we were previously using).

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-06-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
check your county and water company. we got a front loader from sears and the additional cost was offset by the rebates we got from the power and water companies (they save a ton of water and energy). additionally, your water consumption and detergent consumption will go down dramatically (we use less than a quarter of the detergent we were previously using).

[/ QUOTE ]
Plus they're easier on your clothes and they have greater capacity. They really are better in every way, once you get past the upfront cost. If you're hung up on that, then you're a bit short-sighted and/or poor.

krazyace5
06-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Don't watse your money on all the extra bells and whistles you will never use.

Also dryers come with small openings and big openings, make sure you get one with a big opening for easier access to clothes, putting them in and out.

bd8802
06-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Maytag Neptune (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=02 636972000&subcat=Front+Load+Washers)

My parents have this one. It might be the one that Patrick is talking about. My mom loves it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-06-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maytag Neptune (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=02 636972000&subcat=Front+Load+Washers)

My parents have this one. It might be the one that Patrick is talking about. My mom loves it.

[/ QUOTE ]No, I'm talking about a Kenmore. I've got the Kenmore Elite HE3. I don't see it on the Sears website you just linked, but it's the same thing as the Kenmore Elite HE3t (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=APPL&pid=02 645962000&subcat=Front+Load+Washers), minus some of the silly extra features and the ridiculous $1250 pricetag. I think mine was something like $500-$600, but don't quote me on that - this was a year ago. The dryer I got was a whirlpool something or other, the door opens down so you can set stuff on it, and it's got a huge opening.

When my wife and I were buying this stuff, Kenmore was a bit higher rated by Consumer Reports than Maytag and is it Whirlpool that's actually the same brand as Kenmore, but re-badged (and with like one less feature) for sale in other stores? I think so.

RacersEdge
06-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Make sure your dryer has the "fluff" mode if you have cigarette smelling clothes. I was just turned on to this, and it works great.

Nottom
06-06-2005, 04:38 PM
I have a washer and drier for sale ... I don't suppose you live in Roanoke, VA? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

waffle
06-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Sorry, I'm in Texas - it'd be a bit of a trip /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Thanks for the advice, guys - I will be looking for a front load washer that doesn't have a million useless gadgets. Using significantly less water, energy and soap over the long run is a good deal.