PDA

View Full Version : Getting ordained online

nolanfan34
06-06-2005, 01:13 PM
So, at my wife's graduation party over the weekend, one of her best friends and her fiancee mentioned that they don't have anyone to perform their wedding yet, which is coming up in a few months. I joked that I would get ordained online so I could do it, and they seemed to actually like the idea.

So has anyone here done this? I checked out a site online, that has instant ordaining, and is free. Anything else I need to do?

I plan to have people address me as "Reverend" now if possible.

chaas4747
06-06-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, at my wife's graduation party over the weekend, one of her best friends and her fiancee mentioned that they don't have anyone to perform their wedding yet, which is coming up in a few months. I joked that I would get ordained online so I could do it, and they seemed to actually like the idea.

So has anyone here done this? I checked out a site online, that has instant ordaining, and is free. Anything else I need to do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a couple of friends do this for weddings. They actually signed the marriage license, I questioned it, but I guess it is legit.

Alobar
06-06-2005, 01:18 PM
woa, seriously?? I sooo wanna do this now

isnt there like a tax break for that too? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

turnipmonster
06-06-2005, 01:18 PM
don't you have to be a notary to sign a marriage license?

--turnipmonster

Alobar
06-06-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

its really easy to become a notary

turnipmonster
06-06-2005, 01:20 PM
fwiw, my friend did this in ny and married someone.

nolanfan34
06-06-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I've been looking around the web for the specific rules in Washington, but I haven't found anything yet.

I think IIRC, you take the marriage certificate to your local county office afterward, and it gets notarized then.

spamuell
06-06-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So has anyone here done this? I checked out a site online, that has instant ordaining, and is free.

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the site?

turnipmonster
06-06-2005, 01:24 PM
I am pretty sure the deal is that it doesn't matter who performs the ceremony, whether they're ordained or not or whatever, and that it legally goes down when you sign the license with the notary (obviously if it's a religous wedding it matters if they're ordained, but how religous can it be if the dude is getting instantly ordained online?). I got married by a friend of the family who is a notary, and we just signed the license right after the ceremony and mailed it in.

--turnipmonster

nolanfan34
06-06-2005, 01:25 PM
It was here. (http://www.ulc.org)

A Google search led me to that as a recommended site.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-06-2005, 01:31 PM
this is something you need to do

oljumpstart
06-06-2005, 01:39 PM
I just did it, be warned it is an intense and life altering experience.
Peace be with you,
Reverend Matthew James Perry

krazyace5
06-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Guess we will soon have about 25 ordained ministers running around the boards here. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

How about the first person that does this start a confessional thread. That should be interesting. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gallopin Gael
06-06-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Guess we will soon have about 25 ordained ministers running around the boards here. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

THat's just gonna cheapen it for the rest of us that are going to be ordained the old fashioned way (schooling, etc.) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nolanfan34
06-06-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is something you need to do

[/ QUOTE ]

Done, I just had to fill out a short form.

And if this means I'll be able to marry people in Vegas if necessary, then all the better! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

offTopic
06-06-2005, 02:12 PM
http://www.wrestlingzone.ru/s/s_brlove.jpg

DBowling
06-06-2005, 02:27 PM
am i allowed to be the minister at my own wedding?

The Dude
06-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Wow.

Jakesta
06-06-2005, 02:40 PM
This is an awesome idea. I want to become a minister too.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-06-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about the first person that does this start a confessional thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another great idea.

dr. klopek
06-06-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was here. (http://www.ulc.org)

A Google search led me to that as a recommended site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. Do it. I got ordained by the ULC a couple years ago.

MrWookie47
06-06-2005, 06:09 PM
You gotta wonder what the Jesus spammer will think when he's spamming a message board occupied by a bunch of ordained preachers.

KJS
06-07-2005, 03:42 AM
My buddy got ordained in the Universal Life Church before the Internet (gasp!) and officiated at my wedding. You can join that church online now. Honestly, I doubt anyone even read the name and signature on my marriage license. But even if they did, he's legit. And has Rev on his Driver's license.

KJS

Jakesta
06-07-2005, 05:11 AM
How do you get Rev on your license?

I did the ULC online thing but now I guess I have to send away for the real certificate because I live in one of the stats that requires actual documentation.

deacsoft
06-07-2005, 05:15 AM
How do you think I got the name deacsoft? Okay, that's a tough question. It started with me becoming ordained. then one of my college friends dubbed me Deacon (a title of the Mormon church) (he was Morman). Then through a series of events it became deacsoft.

Shilly
06-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Funny, I just did this a few nights ago.

--The Reverend

scrub
06-07-2005, 06:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my friends did it to try to get free campus parking at Cornell.

It didn't work.

scrub

sillyarms
06-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Yeah it's for real. My father recently preformed my cousins ceremony after being ordained online. Signed the certificate and it was all legal. He even clearly explained that he got ordained online and they said that it was still legal.

silly

YourFoxyGrandma
06-07-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please only ordain others with their permission. (This includes public figures as well as cartoon and other fictional characters.")

[/ QUOTE ]

Delphin
06-07-2005, 09:35 AM
My wife and I were married by a friend who was ordained onlined (ulc). It's legit, at least in Florida, which is where we were married.

BottlesOf
06-07-2005, 09:44 AM
You need to get to Vegas, FAST. Piety is for chumps.

turnipmonster
06-07-2005, 10:16 AM
in many states, you don't have to be ordained to marry someone. I'm thinking that is more often the case than not with a lot of the weddings people are talking about.

nolanfan34
06-07-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Please only ordain others with their permission. (This includes public figures as well as cartoon and other fictional characters.")

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha, I saw that on the web site. I guess this means I can't marry Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes just by watching Entertainment Tonight.