PDA

View Full Version : Parents buying a retirement home - want me to help, wtf?

partygirluk
06-06-2005, 12:15 PM
So my Dad is going stop working full time in October and my parents are looking to buy a flat. This is the house that they are going to spend the rest of their lives in. They have found one they quite like and want me to come and have a look at it.

What should I look for? It is difficult for me to come from the perspective of a 60 yr old couple. What sort of things make a good retirement flat?

Realise OOT is not read by many pensioners, but hoping to get the perspective of someone with parents that bit older than mine.

Ta.

hoopsie44
06-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Plenty of wheeelchair ramps throughout the house.

Boris
06-06-2005, 12:24 PM
You want to make sure they get something really, really cheap.

Blackjack
06-06-2005, 12:28 PM
watchout for sex swings and stuff.

offTopic
06-06-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So my Dad is going stop working full time in October and my parents are looking to buy a flat. This is the house that they are going to spend the rest of their lives in. They have found one they quite like and want me to come and have a look at it.

What should I look for? It is difficult for me to come from the perspective of a 60 yr old couple. What sort of things make a good retirement flat?

Realise OOT is not read by many pensioners, but hoping to get the perspective of someone with parents that bit older than mine.

Ta.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small steps.
Low tubs (or walk-in showers).
Large knobs/handles on cabinets, stove, etc.
Good lighting.
Storage space comparable to the place they're moving from, otherwise, they'll need to get rid of a bunch of stuff before moving in. Clutter = bad.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-06-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Small steps.
Low tubs (or walk-in showers).
Large knobs/handles on cabinets, stove, etc.
Good lighting.
Storage space comparable to the place they're moving from, otherwise, they'll need to get rid of a bunch of stuff before moving in. Clutter = bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, OffTopic is right on, regardless of his name.
Make sure it's only one story. Find out where the mailbox is (near or far from unit) and see if it's locked. See what kind of other people live in the community, retirees or young families.

good luck

Matt Flynn
06-06-2005, 01:14 PM
tough call, because up until the moment they cannot walk it is far better for them to live up a couple of flights of stairs. after that ground floor, no steps, no strip to trip on at door entry.

get them a rug for in front of the tub or shower and a bag of tub antiskid stickers for both shower and tub. hip fractures get a lot of old people, and the bathroom is the #1 place. the rugs will reduce falls and cushion impact in a fall - just make sure it sticks to the floor reasonably so it doesn't cause the problem.

get a place with a lot of windows. getting old is depressing, and sunlight is good for depression and happiness in general. try to find a place that looks out onto something they find beautiful. maybe a garden - whatever.

get a smaller place. as they age they will not be able to keep things cleaned or picked up easily, so unless they're rich enough to have a maid they'll want something easy to take care of. also, get a place close to the market so they will not have to drive far - or better so they can walk daily to pick up the day's food. that's much better for them. in the same vein, get a place with good sidewalks in the neighborhood to encourage walking.

matt

TStoneMBD
06-06-2005, 01:39 PM
make sure the place isnt going to need to have alot of work done to it in the next 20 years. you dont want them calling you up 10 years from now telling you they need a new roof or that their toilet bowl broke and want you to help.

if they have a basement, try to make sure that there isnt any water leakage down there. if there is, get someone to build a trench. you dont want water getting down there, producing mold and making your parents sick.

Gallopin Gael
06-06-2005, 01:44 PM
another thing to think about is if (God forbid) one of them becomes confined to a wheelchair.

My grandmother had a stroke almost 2 years ago and my parents bought a new place so my grandparents could move in with them. We needed to find one that had "wheelchair" friendly bathrooms.

Just another thing to consider.

partygirluk
06-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Well, I was surprised. I imagined it as an old persons' flat, drab, uninspiring, carpets etc but it was the complete opposite. Ultra modern, minimalist, beautiful wooden floors, well designed with lots of nifty little features. The kind of place I'd love as a bachelor pad if I could afford it. The living room was so cool, get a girl over there, cook her a nice dinner, open a nice bottle of wine and she is yours. Surprised that they liked it.

Having read some of the excellent advice in this thread (thanks), not sure how appropriate it will be for them. Some of you have given me a lot to think about, so many thanks.

turnipmonster
06-06-2005, 02:08 PM
why not appropriate? they're only 60, my parents are older than that and they still go to the gym and work and are really happy in a new, very modern house they bought a few years ago.

The Goober
06-06-2005, 02:30 PM
all I can say is, thank god the "kur-blaaar!" man is back.