PDA

View Full Version : JJ facing pre-flop raise

jonnytone
06-06-2005, 12:04 PM
The following hand is taken from a recent $10 1-table sit-n-go on Party Poker. Blinds are 25/50, I have $930 in chips and am dealt JJ on the button. The player in fourth position raises the pot to $200 (chip count $825). Everyone folds to me, I re-raise all in. The blinds fold and the player in fourth position calls and turns over QQ.

My thought at the time was that my opponent had been raising in middle position with hands of J10, QK, and middle pairs when not facing a prior raise, and called several re-raises as the underdog in these situations. I felt w/ the size of his raise he wasn't looking for to face a call, but if he called my re-raise I could have easily been the favorite with my pocket jacks. Unfortunately I was wrong.

Looking back, I'm thinking it is probably better to just call in this situation, because most players will not call that large of a re-raise unless they have a monster and in most instances I will be the underdog going into the flop risking a majority of my chips. Also, the blinds were yet to act, and if either of them had a monster, I could get picked off by them. So I was risking all of my chips for $275, where if I was called I'd most likely be in the situation I ended up in - a heavy dog.

Here comes the dilemma, JJ is a good starting hand against my opposition at the time. How should I have handled this opponent? 1. Fold right away having put no $$$ in the pot, 2. Call and hope a J comes on the flop if not and I get raised get out, or 3. Re-raise a more modest amount assuming if I get re-raised assume he has the goods and then I could fold.

Or is there a different way I could approach this situation. Please let me know any comments.

Freudian
06-06-2005, 12:07 PM
Unless I have a strong read on the other guy I will fold JJ to a 4xBB raise in level 3. Limp/minraise I will come over the top. 3xBB I have to think about it.

xLukex
06-06-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The following hand is taken from a recent $10 1-table sit-n-go on Party Poker. Blinds are 25/50, I have $930 in chips and am dealt JJ on the button. The player in fourth position raises the pot to $200 (chip count $825). Everyone folds to me, I re-raise all in. The blinds fold and the player in fourth position calls and turns over QQ.

My thought at the time was that my opponent had been raising in middle position with hands of J10, QK, and middle pairs when not facing a prior raise, and called several re-raises as the underdog in these situations. I felt w/ the size of his raise he wasn't looking for to face a call, but if he called my re-raise I could have easily been the favorite with my pocket jacks. Unfortunately I was wrong.

Looking back, I'm thinking it is probably better to just call in this situation, because most players will not call that large of a re-raise unless they have a monster and in most instances I will be the underdog going into the flop risking a majority of my chips. Also, the blinds were yet to act, and if either of them had a monster, I could get picked off by them. So I was risking all of my chips for $275, where if I was called I'd most likely be in the situation I ended up in - a heavy dog.

Here comes the dilemma, JJ is a good starting hand against my opposition at the time. How should I have handled this opponent? 1. Fold right away having put no $$$ in the pot, 2. Call and hope a J comes on the flop if not and I get raised get out, or 3. Re-raise a more modest amount assuming if I get re-raised assume he has the goods and then I could fold.

Or is there a different way I could approach this situation. Please let me know any comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold preflop.