PDA

View Full Version : 14c- The Newbie Cronicles- some questions on origin, mdlm

Easy E
01-02-2003, 12:26 PM
mdlm,
I was curious about the original thoughts behind your Poker Odyssey (triggered by my response to Clarkmeister, I went searching and reviewed your original series of posts):

1) Why did you decide on an 18 month tour? Gillian would have killed you (or the Professor would have)

2) I can understand why you'd want to get a solid foundation of poker knowledge before risking moocho dinero in live games (are you planning b&m or online as the first attempts?)...
**I'm assuming that what I presume are free tourneys on PokerPages, since you haven't been spending any $$, do not count as live games

... but why did you feel that 6 months was the correct amount of time? Short of dealing with a lot of theory and simulated game sessions, I'm curious what you think you'll be gaining over the next (last) 3 months of Phase 1.

3) Since it seems that you have stopped spending money in Phase 1, will that extra $500 get rolled into Phase 2 ($1500 rather than $1000 bank), or will you remove it and start fresh?

Later,
Easy E

PS- I just noticed that you planned to use TTH, but switched to Acespade because of problems with your two-monitor system. What is this unusual equipment setup you have, and are you still using it?

---------------
I have decided to try to become a semi-pro poker player within eighteen months.

In particular, my goal is to make $1,000 per month for three consecutive months before March 30, 2004. I estimate that the probability that I will succeed in this quest is less than 3%.

I will write a short article under this heading once a week and solicit advice and feedback on my progress to date.

I plan to split the 18-month period into three segments of six months each. During this first six month segment my goals are to:

1. Read and study Hold ‘Em Poker by Sklansky.
2. Beat Turbo Texas Hold ‘Em
3. Beat Masque World Series of Poker.
4. Score 85% over a one month period in PokerPage’s hold ‘em tournaments.

Of these four goals, the last is by far the hardest.

I expect to work approximately 20 hours a week to meet these goals and have allocated a budget of $1,000.

Over the course of the next week I plan to purchase 1-3 and participate in several PokerPage tournaments.

mdlm, The Newbie

Homer
01-02-2003, 02:19 PM
Wow, I don't think I ever read mdlm's initial post. Approximating your chances of making $1000 a month for 3 consecutive months as 3% is way too low, in my estimation. I achieved this goal after spending about a month reading WLLHE and HPFAP, then jumping right into 2/4 and 3/6 online. I realize I probably had some positive standard deviation to be able to do this, but regardless I think you are overestimating the competence of your opponents if you are only giving yourself a 3% chance of success.

-- Homer

Easy E
01-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Friend who does GUI development says it's often used for large items that don't fit on a single screen, or for overview/fine detail work....

But why would you use this setup in your use of a poker game/tool?

She also said that many programs don't test for dual monitor use (since it is so rare for customers to have) and problems can often crop up as a result, if different resolutions are used....

Thus endth my FYI portion of this program...

Munga30
01-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Because he's going to write a book about it if he's successful.

Rapid Chess Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1857442695/qid=1041697759/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-7710983-6215157?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Great piece of investigative reporting!

Glenn
01-06-2003, 01:18 PM
Do we get royalties?

mcr
01-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Very nice work! But I'm dying to know... how the heck did you figure this out?

Vehn
01-06-2003, 11:05 PM
Nice Munga. I did a little digging myself based from your starting point (I'd assume you started here (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=mdlm+poker&meta=)) but really wasn't able to get far, certainely nothing as nutty as we've seen here. I'm thinking (hoping) that his relationship with this (http://www.cyberclass.net/turmel/) nutball is coincidental, he seems to be some kind of "poker system" (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=mdlm+poker&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=audm1e%243d6%241%40freenet9.carleton.ca&rnu m=7) peddler or something.

Munga30
01-06-2003, 11:37 PM
Yep, it was a Turmel post that got the ball rolling.

I think mdlm is probing the limits of Turmel's "system," so I don't think there are any unholy alliances in the near future. From the same Turmel post on rec.gambling.poker:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
MM: John,
Two more hands that I'd like your input on.
1. I have KcJc and the flop is JdQhQc. In general, what does
your system say when there is no such thing as "top pair"?

JCT: Now you're delving into complexities raised by Randy
abouve that I've been trying to systematize for years. [blather omitted]

. . .

MM: 2. I have 5c7c on a flop of 9c3h7s. I have second pair
and two backdoor flushes (?) and a backdoor straight. Three
opponents. 5.5 bets in the pot. I need to call one bet.
What does your system say? Thanks, Michael

JCT: Not fair. Tripling opponents changes too much. [again, sans blather]

[/ QUOTE ]