PDA

View Full Version : Whose play was worse... Need help :(

Raemius
06-06-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm in a two table freezeout. Starting chips are $5000, I'm sitting on about $6000. BB is sitting on about $3000. I'm dealt 2-2 in late position. I limp in, with about 2 otehr limpers. We see the flop

The flop comes 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB Bets $200, all others fold to me, I raise to $1200, putting him on a flush or straight draw, he pushes all in, I call. He flips Q/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif He spikes a /images/graemlins/club.gif on the turn and hits his flush. Teh board doesn't pair and I'm crippled.

Was my bet bad, was his push bad, or was my call of his all in bad. Where did I go wrong on this hand? Should I not have called the all-in? Should I not have limped with my ducks in late position?

Dan Rutter
06-06-2005, 11:31 AM
The limp was fine, you hit your hand, you put your opponent on his hand, you got the chips in as the favorite, and with him getting improper odds, and he caught. You played it fine. How much was in the pot after his bet of $200 on the flop? If the pot was only around say $400, your bet of $1200 was too much because in most situations people would not try to draw for the flush in that case. You got this guy not only to accept those terrible odds, but also put the rest of his stack in.

Raemius
06-06-2005, 11:34 AM
There were two other limpers, so including his $200 bet, there was $1100 in the pot incl the SB, my bet was just over the size of the pot.

nightlyraver
06-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Your play was fine IMO. I assume this is early in the tourney. Pocket 2's is exactly the kind of hand that you want to limp in with after 2 others have limped in order to see the flop cheap and try to spike a set. That's exactly what happened. Once you hit the set and suspect a flush draw (almost certain with a big field), you need to raise. The whole point is to make your oponent make a mistake - and boy did he make one! The pot is approximately at t7,000 and almost t3,000 of it was put in by him on the flop. He was only about 25% to win the hand and he put in almost half the chips in the pot. Mission Accomplished.

Don't be so results oriented; bad beats happen. You need to make calls like this or you can't win! How much better of an opportunity could you possibly as for?

Raemius
06-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll now stop beating myself up over this hand. It was the right decision with the wrong results and that I can handle. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

augie00
06-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Worst bad beat story ever.

11t
06-06-2005, 01:25 PM
You played fine, he sucked out.

Oh well.

Raemius
06-06-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Worst bad beat story ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your input, very helpful

dmk
06-06-2005, 01:56 PM
what do you expect to hear? that you played badly? welcome to tournament poker, enjoy your stay.

Raemius
06-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I wanted to know if I played badly or not, or if I played correctly.

dmk
06-06-2005, 02:03 PM
let me ask this:

if you won this hand (had a club not fallen), would you have posted it?

Raemius
06-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Maybe.

Your point is?

dmk
06-06-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe.

Your point is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you just be honest and say "no". My point is that if you won the hand you wouldn't have had a second thought about the way you played it. You're only posting the hand because you lost. You shouldn't be worried about the results of the hand.

If you want actual conversation about the hand, post it like this:

I limp w/ 22, 4 ppl see the flop. Flop comes Q42 w/ 2 clubs. Guy bets, I raise to 1200, guy pushes, I call. Thoughts?

There is no reason to include what came on the turn/river and who won the hand because it doesn't matter. Once your chips are in the middle all decision making processes are over. What are you hoping to hear? "Don't let a club fall on the turn!"?

Raemius
06-06-2005, 02:17 PM
You missed the complete point of the post. I asked if I made the right decisions. Usually, one tends to question a decision when the result is negative rather than positive.

Sorry I didn't post the question to your exacting standards.... wow.

dmk
06-06-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You missed the complete point of the post. I asked if I made the right decisions. Usually, one tends to question a decision when the result is negative rather than positive.

Sorry I didn't post the question to your exacting standards.... wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that you shouldn't be questioning your decision based on the results. Like I said, if you had won the hand, you wouldn't have spent another seconds thought on the hand. Do you truely believe you played the hand badly?

I'm just telling you for future reference, don't include the results of the hand (at least in the original post). You will find much the replies to be much more helpful and it won't look like a bad beat post.

In this case, it just appears that you're looking for sympathy after taking a bad beat, and thats not what the forum is for.

HeroInBlack
06-06-2005, 03:18 PM
All criticism of your post aside, just in case you're a newbie like we all were one time (and I still am), you played it perfectly. Do this over and over and over and you will build up giant chip stacks more times than not, and hopefully the next suckout won't break or cripple you.

Havok
06-06-2005, 06:46 PM
You made a good judgement putting him on flush so why push it so early in the hand with his odds of improving better. I would have just called to see what the turn brought and then pushed it from there if a blank fell. Maybe a check raise and give him bad odds to draw to a flush on the river.
And when club comes on the river, and you know your beat, its easier to get away from the hand with less invested, and then your not crippled from one hand.

Raemius
06-07-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You made a good judgement putting him on flush so why push it so early in the hand with his odds of improving better. I would have just called to see what the turn brought and then pushed it from there if a blank fell. Maybe a check raise and give him bad odds to draw to a flush on the river.
And when club comes on the river, and you know your beat, its easier to get away from the hand with less invested, and then your not crippled from one hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, this probabaly is not a bad way to play this hand against this particular player.

VoxGibson
06-07-2005, 06:09 PM
changing the way everything went about....
four limpers... catch the set... guy pushes all in, and youre positive its a club flush draw...
would it be unreasonable to fold and wait for better opportunities... what about early in tourneys... what about close to the money? what about in th emoney?