PDA

View Full Version : Whan your "standard" steal raise isn't working

NYCNative
06-06-2005, 10:06 AM
You're at a table where your standard steal raises at any given level are not being respected, constantly being called or raised. If your options are to raise more (which will of course put you in danger of bleeding chips) or to steal less (removing opportunities to help that stack out) which course of action do you usually employ and why?

Unarmed
06-06-2005, 10:09 AM
I have never made a steal raise that wasn't a push, so I have no idea. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stillbr
06-06-2005, 10:10 AM
At the lower levels stop trying to steal. At the higher levels push.

Always Rockets
06-06-2005, 10:10 AM
personally, I would just stop trying to steal as much. If you aren't getting respect, then when you have a real hand you should be able to get paid-off very nicely.

VoraciousReader
06-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Disclaimer: I play at Stars.

I do a combination of the two...I increase my average raise by 1-2 BBs, AND I try to steal only with hands that I wouldn't mind seeing a flop with but wouldn't normally raise with...an ace, J10s, etc.

I also watch my opponents. Usually I can identify the players that are going to play their big blind no matter what...but a lot of times those players will fold if I bet out on the flop. Then I can make my standard raise (or even a slightly lower one), bet the flop, and steal the pot then.

But, I usually play 1 or maybe 2 tables at a time, and deeper stacks (1500) so I have more time to get inside the opposition's heads. I don't play at Party so this may not work for you.

smcannon
06-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Push. Then it's not a matter of getting respect, it's a matter of forcing them on a decision that could cause serious damage to their stack.