PDA

View Full Version : Curious about something about 100/200-dynamics

Arnfinn Madsen
06-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Having heard that the 100/200 at Pokerstars is the hardest limit game dealt online, I watched the game for a while. I noticed something interesting: when somebody bet on the river and got called they won each time. So they are obviously good at value betting.

But why do the players keep calling the river bets (if summed up they would be -EV)? Is it some kind of defence strategy to avoid being bullied out too much on the river (assuming you play the same players much)?

James282
06-06-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Having heard that the 100/200 at Pokerstars is the hardest limit game dealt online, I watched the game for a while. I noticed something interesting: when somebody bet on the river and got called they won each time. So they are obviously good at value betting.

But why do the players keep calling the river bets (if summed up they would be -EV)? Is it some kind of defence strategy to avoid being bullied out too much on the river (assuming you play the same players much)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, the 100-200 on Pokerstars is far from the hardest game online. Also, I'm positive that not every bet called on the river winds up in a win for the bettor. But, since high limit players will often take a strategy of building big pots in order to induce bad folds, you will see a lot of people paying off with marginal hands on the river.
-James

Jeff W
06-06-2005, 01:33 PM
James,

What is the hardest game online?

James282
06-06-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
James,

What is the hardest game online?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Cryptologic 300-600 game is certainly harder than the PS 1-2. There could be harder as well, but I won't claim to have played in or observed them.
-James

Paluka
06-06-2005, 01:38 PM
There is no "hardest game online" at higher limits. The games are almost always shorthanded and the lineup can vary widely in skill. It all depends on who is playing.

James282
06-06-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no "hardest game online" at higher limits. The games are almost always shorthanded and the lineup can vary widely in skill. It all depends on who is playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is a very good point.
-James

Paluka
06-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm gonna change my answer: The hardest game online is whichever one me and James282 are playing!

La Brujita
06-06-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
since high limit players will often take a strategy of building big pots in order to induce bad folds

[/ QUOTE ]

James,

Curious what you meant by this clause. I know big pots come partly/largely from aggressive play, pot equity edges and bluffing and semi bluffing but I don't follow what you are saying and am afraid I am missing something.

surfdoc
06-06-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna change my answer: The hardest game online is whichever one me and James282 are playing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if you are playing together. *wink*

<font color="white">just kidding </font>

emil3000
06-06-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
since high limit players will often take a strategy of building big pots in order to induce bad folds

[/ QUOTE ]

James,

Curious what you meant by this clause. I know big pots come partly/largely from aggressive play, pot equity edges and bluffing and semi bluffing but I don't follow what you are saying and am afraid I am missing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means that these people fastplay a lot of their hands, like capping 88 preflop for example, which builds a big pot and shows a lot of strength, thereby inducing say TT to fold on AK4 boards. People compensate for this by paying off in the big pots... is this accurate?

Ulysses
06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god. Get a room.

JK, you guys are so cute.

James282
06-06-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

James,

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means that these people fastplay a lot of their hands, like capping 88 preflop for example, which builds a big pot and shows a lot of strength, thereby inducing say TT to fold on AK4 boards. People compensate for this by paying off in the big pots... is this accurate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is what I mean. Capping and 3 betting a lot of hands preflop in order to not just fold the best hand, but fold hands with plenty of drawing equity. A good example of this took place when daryn played Neverwin heads up. A lot of pots got to the river and had swelled nicely, but daryn wound up folding the river. You will see this a lot of times because many good players do not know how to adjust to these pot builders. They think that semi-bluffing and playing back at them is a good strategy, but it really isn't. Sometimes you just need to go into a more passive mode with marginal hands and then jam win moderate to great hands.
-James

Your Mom
06-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Imagine if bk said this. You guys would have a heart attack.

Ulysses
06-06-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm sure bk and a couple of others will share the room w/ James and Paluka.

bicyclekick
06-06-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm sure bk and a couple of others will share the room w/ James and Paluka.

[/ QUOTE ]

bahahaha

Schneids
06-06-2005, 05:11 PM
That wasn't Daryn.

James282
06-06-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That wasn't Daryn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? He typed into irc. that it was didn't he? And wasn't his last name? Anyways, it doesn't matter if it was daryn or not - simply commenting on the dynamic of the play that a lot of people observed.
-James

Arnfinn Madsen
06-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Thx for interesting replies. See you at the 300-600 Cryptologic table when I am BR'ed for it. (at the current winrate in 2020 /images/graemlins/blush.gif)

daryn
06-06-2005, 09:19 PM
are you talking about UB 200/400? that was someone playing on my account.