PDA

View Full Version : Step one in eliminating the FDA: Consumer Reports Medical Guide

natedogg
06-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Consumer Reports now offers a medical guide and covers most areas covered by the FDA.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/health/home.jsp

It's good to see that there is a market for this even while the FDA still exists. It shows just how useless the FDA really is.

natedogg

bdk3clash
06-06-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It shows just how useless the FDA really is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I fail to see how any reasonable person could make this conclusion.

Jakesta
06-06-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The FDA held up beta blockers for years, and hundreds of thousands of Americans with cardvascular issues died- because of the FDA's incompetence.

They routinely keep drugs off the market until they are sure they are 100% safe. This keeps people from getting the medication they so desperately need, and costs so many lives each year.

There is no reason to believe that a private company, similar to Underwriters Laboratories(UL), could not do a much better job.

natedogg
06-07-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The FDA is possibly the *best* extant example of a public entity that does more harm than good. In fact, in the FDA's case, there is no good, only harm.

The only conceivable good that comes from the FDA is that it requires drugs to be tested.... however no reasonable analysis of basic free market principles could fail to discover that this would occur even without an FDA. I'll leave it to you to imagine how this might occur.

The paternalistic authoritarianism embodied by the FDA is possibly the worst contemporary expression of govt intrusion other than the DEA, which goes hand in hand with FDA anyway.

There is a slight chance you may actually support the only valid reason for having an FDA.

That reason being a belief that a committee of bureaucrats should have the power to prevent you, in the event that you are desperately ill and seeking treatment, from using whatever medicines you see fit for yourself under your own free will even with the advice of your doctor. If you think that, then I suppose you might support the FDA.

natedogg