PDA

View Full Version : Abortion

Matty
06-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Candidate Smith, a Democrat, is running for, let's say, Senator from your state. He is overall a moderate, and he supports a woman's right to choose in the first trimester (when 88% of American abortions take place) but wishes abortions in the second and third trimester to be made illegal because he thinks the embryo/fetus/whatever has developed to the point of being a human being with a right to life. As part of his justification for these views, he drones on about how a person is declared dead when his brain waves end, and how that should generally be a measure for whether life exists.

Does this stance affect your voting preference regarding him, and if so how?

Edit: As compared to an exact copy of this same Democrat who takes the typical Democratic line of supporting Roe v Wade

[censored]
06-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Republican - his views on abortion would pretty much mirror mine so I would be more likely to vote him, however 95% of the time I would still vote for the republican candidate.

06-05-2005, 11:01 PM
A better question would be what the hell are you doing with an Osama bin Laden avatar.

vulturesrow
06-05-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A better question would be what the hell are you doing with an Osama bin Laden avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its his idea of a clever political statement.

hetron
06-05-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather look at OBL then the dude you have as your avatar (and that's saying a lot)

06-05-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather look at OBL then the dude you have as your avatar (and that's saying a lot)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at the WTC on 9/11/01. I find humor in a lot of things but the fact that we have reached a point where people find humor in a bin Laden avatar bothers me.

PS my avatar is Beetlejuice from the Howard Stern show ... just in case you were thinking it was some random deformed midget.

CCass
06-05-2005, 11:54 PM
It depends on who he is running against. If abortion is the only issue that separates he and his opponent, I will vote for the one that is least in favor of abortions.

hetron
06-05-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at the WTC on 9/11/01. I find humor in a lot of things but the fact that we have reached a point where people find humor in a bin Laden avatar bothers me.

PS my avatar is Beetlejuice from the Howard Stern show ... just in case you were thinking it was some random deformed midget.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The OP has the picture in there as a political statement, I believe (I think he is trying to call attention to the fact that US foreign policy was hell bent on finding this man, but instead ended up going after Saddam Hussein). I don't think it is meant to be all that humorous.

2. Is that supposed to make it any better?

Matty
06-06-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
people find humor

[/ QUOTE ]No humor. Read the location.

What disgusts me is people who can so easily dismiss and forget our failure in finding OBL.

ACPlayer
06-06-2005, 10:56 AM
he drones on

He just lost my vote.

Abortion is the least important issue on which to caste a vote.

06-06-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
people find humor

[/ QUOTE ]No humor. Read the location.

What disgusts me is people who can so easily dismiss and forget our failure in finding OBL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that completely.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Abortion is the least important issue on which to caste a vote.

Agreed. Especially in light of the flip-flops on the issue made by many prominent politicians.

examples

1. George H. W. Bush - In the 1980 primary he ran against Reagan as a pro-choice alternative

2. Al Gore - althoug in the '00 race he stated, "I have always supported a woman's right to choose", as a senator, he had a 96% approval rating from the National Right to Life Coalition.

Jakesta
06-06-2005, 03:30 PM
I am a Republican and it would make me less likely to vote for him.

TomCollins
06-06-2005, 04:43 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/monsterfunction/xanga/bumpersticker.GIF

nokona13
06-06-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://webpages.charter.net/monsterfunction/xanga/bumpersticker.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]