PDA

View Full Version : Overcards as preflop raiser

dantheman_05
06-05-2005, 08:49 PM
typical situation on 6 player game :
2 limpers (both have vpip above 30 and pfr above 10)
i raise on button with say K /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif and blinds fold. limpers call and flop comes :
#1) T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
#2) Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
#3) A /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

After each flop the first limper bets out and 2nd limper folds. (8.5 small bets)

What is the best plan for the rest of each hand through the river, and would you agree that if the 1st limper was strong he would check raise the flop?

SkyRocker
06-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Note: I play 1/2 and you probably need to vary your play at higher levels...

#1) T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
There aren't many draws out there that villain would semibluff with. You are probably up against a pair.
Call and fold turn unimproved

#2) Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Raise for a free card

#3) A /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Against a passive non-tricky opponent, fold.
Against a tricky/unpredictable opponent
raise 50% of the time and lead the turn
fold 50% of the time

StellarWind
06-05-2005, 09:32 PM
You didn't describe his postflop play. I'll assume he's fairly normal.

#1 - Usually call and fold turn unimproved.

#2 - Usually call or raise for free card if I thought that would work.

#3 - Fold, nothing I could turn would make me happy. He took a big risk betting this flop into two players including a PFR. If this is a total bluff than congratulations to him.

[ QUOTE ]
and would you agree that if the 1st limper was strong he would check raise the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, especially given the position of the third player.

It is important to realize that this is a 3-way pot. He gets much less credit for betting out heads up.