PDA

View Full Version : Minor panic on Las Vegas Strip shortly after midnight

Dynasty
01-01-2003, 06:53 AM
I was on the Strip on New Year's Eve to watch the big fireworks display. I watched the show from in front of the Monte Carlo.

About 2-3 minutes after the fireworks display ended (12:15?), there was a big commotion across the street in front of the Polo Towers Plaza. For those who don't know, the Strip is closed to trafic on New Year's Eve except for a single lane barricaded off for city use (Police, Fire, Ambulance). There were a few yells of "Fight! Fight!" so I stood up on one of the barricades to see what was going on. I couldn't see much of anything. Then, all the Police in the general vacinity, about 12-16 officers, scrambled to some spot on the other side of the street. While the police were scrambling, people started running away from the Polo Towers Plaza, through the barricades, and crossing the Strip.

About 4-5 dozen people running across the Strip were coming in my direction and some of them looked very scared. A couple of us pulled the barricades on our side of the street apart to let people through. As they came, one of them said "They're shooting". That was enough for me. Although I didn't hear any shots, I was outta there. I ducked into the Monte Carlo and played some Hold'em.

I left at about 2am and talked to a Police officer outside. He said he knew about a "beating" which occured earlier that night but didn't know anything about a shooting. So, I'm not sure exactly what happned. However, there were lots of scared people who thought they were running for their lives regardless of how much danger they were really in.

Boris
01-02-2003, 07:05 PM
we were out on the strip shortly after midnite. Didn't notice a thing. lots of teenage kids. seemed pretty mellow. We were by the Mirage.