PDA

View Full Version : Tipping straw poll

Nate tha' Great
06-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Let's say you go to a bar with your friend and order the first round of drinks. These drinks happen to be some very nice Belgian beers and the tab comes out to $14. You pay with a $20.

Assumptions:

1. You intend to stay at the bar for some time.
2. You and your friend intend to drink beer, and not mixed drinks.
3. The service was at least adequate and your order was taken promptly.
4. You have no sexual attraction / ulterior motives with the bartender.
5. You have four $1 bills and several $20s in your pocket after paying for the round.

mason55
06-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I start a tab and then skip out on the tip after I've had good service all night.

hyde
06-05-2005, 07:31 PM
when the bartender hands me a 5 and a 1 I tellthem I was in the business for many years, I hold up the bills and tell them I like them more than the 1 but not as much as the 5 and let them know they must give the customer the oportunity to give them a good tip.
If they were hoping for the $5 it is -EV, much like raising with K,10......
Also, a buck a beer is good if you are standing and the tender just pops the tops, a little extra is better if you are taking up stools.

The Stranger
06-05-2005, 07:35 PM
take care of the tip at the end of the night.

deacsoft
06-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I tip $1 per drink. Regardless of how many I get. If I buy a round for myself and 6 friends I tip $7. Bartenders love me and I always get taken care of (I never have to wait for drinks in a busy bar).

uw_madtown
06-05-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I tip $1 per drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokeraddict
06-05-2005, 07:38 PM
I'm surprised about the number of you that would tip less then 15%, I guess poker hasnt been very good to you.

private joker
06-05-2005, 07:39 PM
It's very rare to see a bartender in Los Angeles give a $5 and a $1 for $6 change. They know what's up, and 99% of the time I've getting six singles back. I'm tipping $2.

If I do get the non-thinking bartender, I'd rather just toss 'em the single then dig into my pocket for a second one. I'll get him/her back the next time.

MarkL444
06-05-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tip $1 per drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is so stupid. why? after being in europe for a bit all the tipping procedures here look really stupid

hyde
06-05-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm surprised about the number of you that would tip less then 15%, I guess poker hasnt been very good to you.

Very good point. I just re-read the OP. $14 for two beers. I guess I don't get out enough anymore. I was thinking $3.75 for a beer. I have no Idea why I was thinking that price....
$14 beers should be $3 average. Less if the service sucks, more if she is showing cleavage.

Which makes me wonder if the beers were $14 because the establishment was one of those full cleavage joints....

deacsoft
06-05-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bought 7 drinks at $3 a piece (standard price for what we drink around here) I'd be tipping 33%. That sounds pretty fair to me.

Pokeraddict
06-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Was my point, if they were $3 beers then $1 per beer is obviously OK. Another poster has a good point. After my travel to other countries and the bartenders being insulted if you try to tip them it makes our system look a bit odd, on the other hand the service there was always about the same average where as here we have massive swings of service so a tip system in a large veriance of service is more appropriate. Keep in mind most countries pay their waitstaff well and tipping is not customary, but then again its in the price.

StevieG
06-05-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say you go to a bar with your friend and order the first round of drinks. These drinks happen to be some very nice Belgian beers and the tab comes out to $14. You pay with a $20.

Assumptions:

1. You intend to stay at the bar for some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point, I am just leaving the change in front of me. As I go, I'll keep paying out of that and more money from my pocket. Tipping at the end of the night, probably a buck or two for each round.

Justin A
06-05-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? Since when do we have to tip 15% for someone to open a beer? The 15% is for when you are sitting down and someone serves you at your table. $2 per round is plenty.

Clarkmeister
06-05-2005, 08:28 PM
$3, *maybe* $4 since it's the first round. I'd then cut it to $2 per round after that. It's a nice bar and nice beer, I think that's about right. But I live in Vegas and it's a different world here with regards to tipping, etc.

marsvolta619
06-05-2005, 08:39 PM
I said $5 for both questions. I usually tip big in the beginning so that way when I'm wasted and I forget or something I get a little leeway(sp?)

IggyWH
06-05-2005, 08:40 PM
I must have some jew in me because I always tip $1 (plus change if I get any), whether I'm buying 1 drink or several.

I tip real well at restaurants, usually at least 33% and if service is good, I've been known to give over 50%. With bartenders though, it takes them 2 seconds to grab me a beer and pop the top. Why should I give them more than $1 even if it is less than 15%?

ClaytonN
06-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Reminds me of the "Viva la Bam" episode where they all go to the biggest mall in America and try to see who can spend $100 the fastest.

One of the guys goes to a Starbucks'ish thing and orders a coffee and sits at a table near the place. The server goes over and gives him the coffee and the guy gives him a $100 bill. The guy says "Sir, are you sure with this" and the guy says "Yeah, it's yours" and the guy thanks him profusely. 500% tip.

I don't tip for beer. I don't drink beer /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bulldog
06-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Missing data: the number of drinks.
Missing option: $6.

Probably not based on the scenario above, but there are instances in which I'd tip the whole $6. But the key is really the number of drinks.

partygirluk
06-05-2005, 09:13 PM
It is unusual here to tip for a round of drinks at a bar.

Rotating Rabbit
06-05-2005, 09:17 PM
An interesting transatlantic cultural difference. In the uk tipping at normal street bars is not the norm. If its at a bar in a members-only club/gym that you go to often then thats a different matter.

Los Feliz Slim
06-05-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I must have some jew in me

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was intended to offend somebody, it succeeded.

contentless
06-05-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tip $1 per drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is so stupid. why? after being in europe for a bit all the tipping procedures here look really stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a tool. What do you care if someone decides to tip a lot? No one said that was the 'recommended' tip; the poster simply wants to tip $1 a drink.

"What, you do something that is charitable? That is so stupid. Why? Because of some douchebag reason."

pshreck
06-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Since when is 1 dollar per drink overtipping?

contentless
06-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Depends how much the drinks are. Like a poster said above, if you're buying 3.75 drinks you're paying a good deal in tips.

Regardless, I don't think it's proper for people to call anyone's tipping procedure 'stupid'. If you tip a lot, then you're a good person. If you don't tip, presumably you have your reasons, or you don't understand the reasons for tipping. If it's neither, then kill yourself.

B00T
06-05-2005, 09:32 PM
I would just like to know why every thread about tipping either here or in the B+M forum always ends up having at least 20 responses.

Every other topic that is overdone just gets a flaming poo pile, but for tipping it always turns into a huge discussion.

I am not flaming for "ANOTHER" tipping post, but I am genuinely lost as to why these discussions always go into depth.

uw_madtown
06-05-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I tip $1 per drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether you're saying I'm overtipping or undertiping, but $1 / drink is pretty standard here. When in Rome.

nothumb
06-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Very read dependent.

If the person is genuinely friendly and gives me the $5 and the $1, I will probably tip $3 or $4, since it's the first drink and they're expensive.

If the person is trying to be slick or is otherwise snobbish, I will probably tip $2 or even $1 if I'm in a nasty mood. More likely I will tip $2, play it by ear and possibly undertip later.

Without the singles in my pocket, I will almost certainly tip $1 in the latter situation.

NT

private joker
06-05-2005, 10:05 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
I must have some jew in me

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this necessary?

chesspain
06-05-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I must have some jew in me because I always tip $1 (plus change if I get any), whether I'm buying 1 drink or several.

I tip real well at restaurants, usually at least 33% and if service is good, I've been known to give over 50%. With bartenders though, it takes them 2 seconds to grab me a beer and pop the top. Why should I give them more than $1 even if it is less than 15%?

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading all of the above my first thought is...

...Do you know Bill W.?

cockandbull
06-05-2005, 10:52 PM
i think buying the bar wo/man a drink is more the english/british way or it is in my crowd. If your not tipping, buying drinks you'll end up waiting to be served which is not good, esp. when entertaining. If your down at the local, buying the landlord a few is a great way of getting a lockin, which again is a good way to impress.

With regards to nates question, i'd tip $6 regardless.

BadBoyBenny
06-05-2005, 11:30 PM
My strategy has always been to leave my biggest tips early in the night to hopefully get better service the rest of the night.

I would probably leave six with the first round and one with each additional round.

Brain
06-05-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Missing data: the number of drinks.
Missing option: $6.

Probably not based on the scenario above, but there are instances in which I'd tip the whole $6. But the key is really the number of drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume 2 since Nate said "you and your friend" in assumption #2. But if you double-fist in bars, that's up to you.

poker-penguin
06-05-2005, 11:38 PM
I typically just round up - eg $3.75 beer, the wait-person / bartender will get 1.25 unless the service sucked or I'm poor in which case it's a quarter.

Same with running a tab, I round up to the nearest round number, and then tack on another $5 if I need to.

For the record, nobody freaking tips in New Zealand and I hate that.

My theory is that people who have worked service industry will be at the more extreme ends of tipping (generous for good / decent service, stiffing em if it sucks)

Nate tha' Great
06-05-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My strategy has always been to leave my biggest tips early in the night to hopefully get better service the rest of the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm definitely an advocate of the "loose early, tight late" theory. Exactly the opposite of good hold 'em play.

This is especially true if you're getting mixed drinks, though, as opposed to beer, for reasons that should be fairly obvious.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-05-2005, 11:51 PM
why is $6 not an option?

The first tip should be the biggest. You want to make an impression so that all your future drinks will be good and fast.

Then just tip 1-2 bucks per drink.