PDA

View Full Version : Not poker related: Wireless router problems

RunDownHouse
06-05-2005, 07:15 PM
I recently got a Dell and so had to set it up with my router to run wireless. I have a Linksys wireless router, and it was working just fine with my other machine.

Now, however, the Dell doesn't seem to play well with it. When I run the setup CD that came with the router, it attempts to find the router, and then proceeds to tell me that the computer is not hooked up to the router, and to make sure everything is connected and then run the program again.

Of course, everything is connected, since I can make this post. Anyone have any idea why its not recognizing that it is plugged in, and any recommendations?

Oh, when I try to use the laptop, it says it can't reach the access point, since the network isn't set up properly.

StevieG
06-05-2005, 08:01 PM
RDH-

What exactly is the configuration here? How do you have Internet access in the house? Is it a cable modem? Does the cable modem lead to the Ethernet card of the Dell or to the router itself?

RunDownHouse
06-06-2005, 08:56 PM
I've got a cable modem. The cable modem goes to router, router line 1 goes out to Dell ethernet card. The setup program for some reason doesn't think the computer is connected to the router.

I'm fairly computer literate. I run Win2k Pro with a user account, and manage it from an admin account, so I at least know my way around. But this seems as simple as:

Computer: I'm not plugged in!
Me: Errr, I'm looking at you, and you clearly are.
Computer: Am not!

and so I'm just at a loss.

ferdiferd
06-08-2005, 05:02 AM
You shouldt have to install the router, it doesnt need any drivers or so. You cantact it via 192.168.0.1 or something like that, via explorer... Probably you have an option to connect the router with USB, in that case you should install drivers and the setupprogram will find the router. But when it is connected via ethernet, there are no need.

Rob Blackburn
06-08-2005, 06:48 AM
I had this same problem when I got my Dell laptop recently, I upgraded the firmware via the Linksys website and it started working perfectly.

RunDownHouse
06-08-2005, 10:27 AM
The router works fine for the desktop with no installation, but in order to set up the wireless network with encryption and all that, you need to run the setup program.

Thanks for the tip about updating firmware, don't know why I haven't tried that.