PDA

View Full Version : final table of Bodog 100K. Good reraise?

SoBeDude
06-05-2005, 07:15 PM
7 handed at the final table. I'm 5th in chips but stacks are pretty flat.

Blinds are 3K/6K

First two fold. Next player raises to 18K. I'm in the CO and reraise all-in with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Good play?

-Scott

Jurollo
06-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I don't mind it personally, the raiser needs something real big to call (he would be all-in) and you have represented either a big pair or big ace with the reraise so the only hands that will be calling here are AA-QQ and maybe JJ which would be slightly donkish, as well as AK-AQ or AQs. Unfortunately rather than taking the 18K and blinds you got caught in front of AA. Tough break, I like the play though. Another safer option that may be considered though is a stop and go on a safe flop. The one problem that this creates is that the villian may be pushing on any flop in front of you, although in this case it just would have allowed the button to push over you and allow you to fold it up. Tough one, in retrospect I don't mind it though.
-Ramble Over-
~Justin

SoBeDude
06-05-2005, 07:21 PM
SB has 115K
BB has 31.9K
Raiser had 73K before his raise
I had 70.8K
Button has 88K

sapster
06-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I like the push if he has been stealing liberally preflop in these kinds of situations. The only problem is you are giving him almost 2:1 on his call, and if he is playing solid you are in trouble.

Jurollo
06-05-2005, 07:32 PM
From watching the final table I think it was a steal. Although he hadnt really been heard from in a while he was getting into a position where it was 'his turn' to attempt a steal. I would bet dollars to donuts it was a mid to low PP or marginal broadway hand.

~Justin

sapster
06-05-2005, 07:35 PM
I agree and probably would have pushed in this situation as well barring any reads that he was really playing tight, but this should be no surprise if you look at my recent thread. I hate to hijack the thread but I was wondering if you or Sobe could provide any imput on my bubble bustout hand from this same tournament? I'm sure 7th feels better than 55th, congrats.

SoBeDude
06-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Hoping to get more opinions on this play.

Thanks

-Scott

Lloyd
06-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Barring a read that he's a tight player I like the push. You've got enough folding equity and a pretty good hand.

Lloyd
06-06-2005, 12:27 PM
[quote Another safer option that may be considered though is a stop and go on a safe flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't stop and go, and a "safe" flop is not a requirement of a stop and go. For a stop and go, we have to act first and push any flop. If what you're proposing is just calling and seeing a flop, I think it's an okay play. My gut feeling is it's better to push, but calling doesn't seem horrible. The only problem is if somebody pushes after you but in that case I'd probably give them credit for a strong hand and they would likely have called our push.

Tyler Durden
06-06-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you have represented either a big pair or big ace with the reraise so the only hands that will be calling here are AA-QQ and maybe JJ which would be slightly donkish, as well as AK-AQ or AQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever played online poker? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jurollo
06-06-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you have represented either a big pair or big ace with the reraise so the only hands that will be calling here are AA-QQ and maybe JJ which would be slightly donkish, as well as AK-AQ or AQs.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever played online poker? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I try to stay away from it. Like to post terrible advice here instead /images/graemlins/grin.gif
~Justin

dmk
06-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Seems standard to me. Any reason you are double-guessing yourself? Or do you think this is a lot closer than I do?

SoBeDude
06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems standard to me. Any reason you are double-guessing yourself? Or do you think this is a lot closer than I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple sanity check.

coming over the top with AT, with 3 people left to act seemed a bit risky. A better ace calls, either ahead or behind me. As will many wired pairs.

I don't like calling but if I did, I could have folded to the reraise behind me.

And I don't like folding this hand when 7-handed.

And I prefer to be the aggressor when no one else has yet shown strength, but 7-handed the idea of 'better spots' is fantasy.

So in all, I just wanted other views to make sure my thinking and play was on the right line.

-Scott

dmk
06-06-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple sanity check.

coming over the top with AT, with 3 people left to act seemed a bit risky. A better ace calls, either ahead or behind me. As will many wired pairs.

I don't like calling but if I did, I could have folded to the reraise behind me.

And I don't like folding this hand when 7-handed.

And I prefer to be the aggressor when no one else has yet shown strength, but 7-handed the idea of 'better spots' is fantasy.

So in all, I just wanted other views to make sure my thinking and play was on the right line.

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha.

If you cold-call and it gets raised behind, its an easy fold. If not, you have to play it by ear on the flop. But, I like this play the least and I almost never do it.

Pushing is what I do most. No one is calling behind you w/out a premium hand (very premium). I also feel like, in general, players vastly overestimate the strength of villian's hand. I mean, when its folded to you at the FT, you're often opening w/ practically any 2.

If you don't feel comfortable pushing, just fold. While its hard to come about "better spots" at the FT, I agree w/ your preference of being 1st in w/ the raise rather than coming over the top.

But, overall, I'm 80/20 push/fold, and almost never calling.

billyjex
06-06-2005, 03:53 PM
I like your play here Sobe.

Villian needs a pretty good hand to call you here for his whole tourney.

jck8
06-07-2005, 02:40 AM
id fold most of the time

1. 7th place money sucks

2. if you get called your hand sucks

invisibleleadsoup
06-07-2005, 11:50 AM
i don't really "get" this play,or at least i wouldn't make it...
if the idea of the reraise is that he only has a good enough hand to call very rarely,that's fair enough...why make the play with A10 of all hands though?
if he calls he's probably got a better ace,or two of them,and you're totally dominated...
why not make the play with J10,89s,etc,instead?
at least then you're in better shape against AQ,AK,etc
and i know these aren't great hands (j10,etc),but you're hoping he's going to fold,right?

SoBeDude
06-07-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't really "get" this play,or at least i wouldn't make it...
if the idea of the reraise is that he only has a good enough hand to call very rarely,that's fair enough...why make the play with A10 of all hands though?
if he calls he's probably got a better ace,or two of them,and you're totally dominated...
why not make the play with J10,89s,etc,instead?
at least then you're in better shape against AQ,AK,etc
and i know these aren't great hands (j10,etc),but you're hoping he's going to fold,right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to remember this is 7-handed, AND a final table. First, you have to open up your play when short. He **SHOULD** be raising there with hands like 78s, 79s, 9Ts, 9Js, TJs, KJs, KQ, A9 or better, QJs, etc. A *LOT* of hands.
Remember this is 7-handed and 2 have folded.

Also remember that the raiser will dump a lot of those hands to my push. he'll dump AJ, any King hand (except maybe KQs), and many of the smaller pairs.

So I think my push will generate a lot of folds and I win are VERY nice pot much of the time.

Also I'm suited so I have some extra outs against hands that call. and there is a low chance I'm getting called by a hand with a T.

-Scott