PDA

View Full Version : Business Regulation

quinn
06-05-2005, 04:59 PM
I claim:

As long as a business does not receive government funding:

1. It should be allowed to use any type of discrimination in hiring people.
2. It should be allowed to fire anyone without basis, as long as it does not violate a legal contract.

(1) is for the same reason that people aren't forced (by the government) to be friends with any particular other people
(2) is for the same reason that if I buy groceries at Safeway one day, I am not required to buy groceries from them the next day

Discuss.

nietzreznor
06-06-2005, 01:06 AM
I agree 100%. It astonishes me how perceptive liberals are at seeing violations of our civil rights (which is fantastic), but then when we deny to businesses the same freedoms that we all want, it is no big deal.

It seems pretty obvious to me that if you own something, including a business, then YOU make the rules on how it is used. End of story.

lehighguy
06-06-2005, 01:26 AM
The civil rights legistlation of the 1960s was pretty essential to our society. I really shouldn't have to list the beneficial effects.

However, the anti-discrimination legislation today goes far beyond the much more well intentioned legislation of the 60s.

ACPlayer
06-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Point 2 -- is already the law in most Work for Hire states.

On point 1 -- most quality companies today are very discriminating in who they hire. I know I always was.

nietzreznor
06-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Err, I wasn't saying that civil rights are bad or anything. They are rights like any other, and are important. I was just pointing out the incongruency in the way some treat civil rights and other types of rights.