PDA

View Full Version : Simon & Garfunkel (and other music stuff)

tbach24
06-05-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm pretty musically ignorant, so I couldn't name more than 1 song that they've made. I really like their song on the Garden State soundtrack "The Only Living Boy in New York" though. So what are some good songs by them?

Also, I really like the Shins. What are some bands that I might like?

miajag81
06-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Sounds of Silence is one of my favorite songs. They have a lot of other good ones too. Their Live in Central Park CD is excellent.

Dynasty
06-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Bridge over Troubled Water is their best. And, it's one of the songs sung primarly by Garfunkel.

Listen here (http://www.espew.com/cgi-bin/search?searchstring=simon+and+garfunkel&searchby=a rtist&page=7) by clicking "Play" on option # 64.

The Stranger
06-05-2005, 04:56 PM
http://img89.echo.cx/img89/8557/sg9kx.jpg

maryfield48
06-05-2005, 04:58 PM
I like your OS, Stranger.

Uston
06-05-2005, 04:58 PM
Bleecker Street
Leaves That Are Green
Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.

The Stranger
06-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Just bought OS X Tiger yesterday /images/graemlins/grin.gif

check this out:

http://img10.echo.cx/img10/849/dashboard4nn.jpg

Joshssj4
06-05-2005, 05:07 PM
kodachrome, sounds of silence, you can call me al
very good songs, I think one may only be done by Paul Simon though, or 2.

rocketlaunch
06-05-2005, 05:25 PM
In addition to songs already mentioned...

April Come She Will
A Poem On The Underground Wall
7 O'Clock News/Silent Night
America
A Hazy Shade of Winter

Kodachrome and You Can Call Me Al are both by Paul Simon after they split up. Good songs, but nowhere near the quality of songs they produced as a team. Garfunkel is by far the more talented singer.

IndieMatty
06-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Kings of Convenience

goofball
06-05-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bridge over Troubled Water is their best.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly one of their most well known and very good. My personal favorite however is The Boxer.

Hazy Shade of Winter, 59th St. Bridge song, Cecilia, and At the Zoo are also excellent. Sounds of silence, I am a Rock, Homeward Bound too.

tbach24
06-05-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kings of Convenience

[/ QUOTE ]

Just DL'ed a bunch of their songs...are there any in particular that are superior to the rest?

I also got a bunch of S&G songs, ty everyone, I'll let you know how I like them when my iPod is done recharging. Stupid computer that won't let me listen to music /images/graemlins/frown.gif

IndieMatty
06-05-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kings of Convenience

[/ QUOTE ]

Just DL'ed a bunch of their songs...are there any in particular that are superior to the rest?

I also got a bunch of S&G songs, ty everyone, I'll let you know how I like them when my iPod is done recharging. Stupid computer that won't let me listen to music /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't go wrong with anything. I'm partial to Little Kids and Failure.

Blarg
06-05-2005, 06:20 PM
They've got a ton of good songs. Simon wrote and arranged them, and Garfunkel merely helped on the singing. Garfunkel has a miraculous voice, but Simon's is surprisingly satisfying for the kinds of songs he does.

When they split up, Garfunkel's career pretty much faltered and crashed, and Simon's went on for a long time, since he was really the creator of the music in the first place, I guess. He doesn't release much music anymore, but he has some great albums of his own.

Kodachrome, Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard, Call me Al, Slip Sliding Away, 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, and Mother and Child Reunion are some of the more popular ones he came out with post-S&G. I especially like Slip Sliding Away.

S&G are pretty well known for their Here's to You, Mrs. Robinson song, from the movie The Graduate. From those days, Scarborough Fair and Bridge Over Troubled Waters are probably their best known songs. I liked a lot of songs from back then, too. Simon is quite a craftsman, and put out a lot of really good work when still very young.

tbach24
06-05-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kings of Convenience

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I liked most of the S&G. I couldn't tell you which I liked because I just put it on play and left it. I'm giving KoC a listen now, and they're pretty good.

Now more for my music ignorance, what are good Weezer songs?

Buckmulligan
06-05-2005, 09:33 PM
The boxer owns.

BWebb
06-05-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bridge over Troubled Water is their best. And, it's one of the songs sung primarly by Garfunkel.

Listen here (http://www.espew.com/cgi-bin/search?searchstring=simon+and+garfunkel&searchby=a rtist&page=7) by clicking "Play" on option # 64.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I like Johnny Cash's version better.

Fabian
06-05-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm a huge Simon & Garfunkel fan. I recommend these (most have been mentioned I'm sure)

The boxer
Scarborough fair
Bridge over troubled water
I am a rock
The sounds of silence
April come she will
He was my brother

It feels like I'm missing one, but oh well.

There are tons of others that fall in the almost as good-category.