PDA

View Full Version : NL Implied Odds

jpg7n16
06-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Okay so I want to make implied odds my new best friend.

I play NL almost exclusively, so none of this "I may win 1BB extra" stuff. Most of the bets are roughly 1/2-full pot size bets. So basic pot odds are shot unless you get really lucky and the incoming bet is extremely small. Implied odds have to be what it's all about now.

So say I have A7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and I just limped on the button. 3 people limped in front of me, the blinds completed and checked. Pot = 6BB.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

It's checked around to the 2nd limper who bets 3BB (1/2 pot)

Now what all should I consider when making this call?? What conditions of these considerations would make the call profitable??

(Obviously stack sizes and the like, but how large do they need to be? Stuff like that.)

LINES
06-05-2005, 07:51 PM
You may win 1BB extra

jpg7n16
06-05-2005, 09:56 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

job314
06-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I think you should use money size instead of BBs when refering to NL hold em. Because if I bet 14.52 into a pot that is 27 dollars, you cant refer to my to my bet in big blinds.

Anyways, Some things to consider. If you are play 1/2 NL there is now 12 + 6 in the pot and it requires 6 more to call so you are getting 3:1 on a 4.2:1 shot. If your ace is a live card, then its a 2.9:1 shot and you can call here. If you dont think your ace is good (limper has AK), then its 4.2:1.

Things to consider
1)Will other people behind me call?
2)If I make my flush can I win any money off him?

If you believe one more person will call, then its 4:1 pot odds (12+6+6) : (6). If you believe 2 people will call behind you then its 5:1 and your call will be profitable.

Judging implied odds on the turn if you make your flush, is very difficult to do. You can probably make a small (1/4) sized bet and get called. But I generally will check/fold kj or kq (probable limper hands) when the third flush card hits on the turn and I had 3 callers on the flop.

jpg7n16
06-06-2005, 02:31 AM
I use BB (big blind - not big bet) for NL so that the odds can easily transfer between any game that you're playing. Like you automatically transferred my problem into 1/2NL... if my example was in .5/1 NL then my numbers were fine. But they can just as easily transfer to 3/6NL 10/20NL whatever.

14.52 into a $27 pot is very easy to convert into BB too. If you were playing 1/2 NL at the time, then you bet 7.26BB into a 13.5BB pot. Nothing hard about that.

About your considerations:
1) Good feedback. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks.
2)Umm that's pretty much the definition of implied odds. I assumed that was already basic knowledge.

job314
06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Trust me, get use to refering to pot sizes in NLHE in total money amount, not any unit of betting.

Also you should post/read the the NL forum. They will be able to help you more with strategy than us here on the probability forum.