PDA

View Full Version : Siberia's lakes drying up..... 1000+ gone

wacki
06-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Linky............ (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-warm3jun03,1,1916996.story?coll=la-headlines-world&ctrack=1&cset=true)

By Miguel Bustillo, Times Staff Writer

"An accelerating Arctic warming trend over the past quarter of a century has dramatically dried up more than a thousand large lakes in Siberia, probably because the permafrost beneath them has begun to thaw, according to a paper to be published today in the journal Science.

Comparing satellite images made in the early 1970s to those from recent years, a team of U.S. scientists determined that the number of large lakes in a vast 200,000-square-mile region of Russia's Siberia diminished by about 11%, from 10,882 to 9,712.

About 125 of the 1,170 shrunken lakes disappeared altogether, and most are now considerably smaller than the study's baseline of 40 hectares, or about 99 acres, the researchers found.

If Arctic temperatures continue to rise, the scientists said, many of the lakes in high northern latitudes, where they are ubiquitous, could eventually disappear.

"An 11% decline may not sound like much, but in the time-scale in which landscapes naturally change, this is extraordinarily fast," said the paper's lead author, Laurence C. Smith, an associate geology professor at UCLA.

Smith conducted the research with UCLA colleague Glen M. MacDonald, Yongwei Sheng of the State University of New York and Larry Hinzman of the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

The researchers found that lakes are disappearing in areas of Siberia where the permafrost, ground that is frozen as solid as concrete year-round, is known to be softening. They believe the lakes are receding because the water is seeping into the increasingly mushy ground, a finding that scientists have already confirmed in portions of Alaska where Arctic lakes are also drying up.

By contrast, the scientists found that in Siberian areas where the ground below is still permanently frozen, the number of lakes actually increased by about 4% and total lake area grew by about 12% over the last three decades.

That is consistent with scientific predictions that, in the short run, global warming would lead to more shallow ponds and lakes in thermokarst, or small pits and depressions caused by a thawing of turf at ground level.

Average Arctic temperatures have risen at nearly twice the rate of overall global temperatures in recent decades, according to the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, a comprehensive evaluation of warming in the region conducted by eight nations and six organizations of indigenous people.

In Alaska and western Canada, temperatures have increased by as much as 7 degrees over the last 50 years, according to the assessment, which was concluded last year.

Although the regions experiencing the changes are not home to high numbers of humans, the loss of surface water is expected to affect freshwater supplies for native people in the Arctic. It is also expected to have more immediate and profound effects on Arctic ecosystems, notably the lake habitat that many migratory birds rely upon, Smith said.

"If you were to lose the Arctic lakes, that would be hugely important for waterfowl," MacDonald said. "If permafrost continues to melt, it could also affect everything from oil platforms to landing strips.

"In west Siberia, there is not much geology there aside from the permafrost and peatlands. If the permafrost goes away, the lakes are going to go away.""

Seether
06-05-2005, 06:52 PM
It doesnt really matter if the ice caps start to melt. If the ice caps begin to melt it will stop the thermohaline circulation which occurs in the atlantic ocean. This process stops when there is too much fresh water in the north atlantic, when this occurs (which it has in the geological history of earth) the net result is a major cooling phase (ice age like). So if the continual heating occurs, earth will naturally cool itself off.

wacki
06-05-2005, 07:07 PM
The links you provided, sound computer modeling, and sourced information have convinced me beyond a doubt. *sarcasm*

I am very well aware of the thermohaline belt. Still, your post isn't worth the time it takes to tear it apart.

Seether
06-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Im just speaking of what I learned in my environmental change class....I could get links and stuff but Im lazy....

wacki
06-05-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im just speaking of what I learned in my environmental change class....I could get links and stuff but Im lazy....

[/ QUOTE ]

What university has an environmental change class?

vulturesrow
06-05-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Moonbat U. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
06-05-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently the one in Queerland.

Seether
06-06-2005, 12:36 AM
University of Arizona, there is actually an entire program dedicated to it I believe.

wacki
06-06-2005, 12:40 AM
http://www.arizona.edu/academic/oncourse/data/interface/

find it please.

Seether
06-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Im pretty sure its under the major
Environmental Sciences - BS in Environmental Sci, the class I took was a gen ed but the professor spoke about the program on campus. The course webpage of the class I took was http://fp.arizona.edu/khirschboeck/nats101gc/GC.overview.htm