PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to Renew IP address??? computer savvy ppl

Biloxi
06-05-2005, 01:02 PM
All the directions I find seem complicated, but it cant be that hard to do.

Also, is it possible to have two computers goin thru same modem to have different addresses? I just brought my laptop home from school and I need to hook it up with the family pc.

thanks

06-05-2005, 01:08 PM
I use a Linksys router to do this. It goes

modem
|
router
| |
PC laptop

I don't believe you can get more than one IP address thru your typical modem. My Cable company (mediacom) only lets me hook one device up to my modem. So, I can't just unplug the connection to my PC and hook it into my laptop and vice versa. If your cable company doesn't have this restriction, then you might be able to just unplug the connection from the back of your PC and hook it into your laptop when you need it (and vice versa).

PapaSan
06-05-2005, 01:22 PM
for XP go to DOS and type ipconfig this will show u your ip address , type ipconfig all and it will show u available commands. Type /release all and /renew all to get a new ip address also /flushdns and /registerdns might help. In older windows u can type winipcfg and a small window will pop up.

CrashPat
06-05-2005, 06:03 PM
Call your ISP and ask. Mine gives me 3 public IPs, most only give one though. If they only give one then you need to use a router.