PDA

View Full Version : Bush Lays It On The Line

09-20-2001, 10:29 PM
He demanded the Taliban hand over bin-Laden and his lieutenants or share in their fate. He also said the countries of the world are either with us or against us on the issue of terrorism. And guess what? He keeps getting more and more support from more and more world leaders, including Middle Eastern countries, and even Russia and Iran.

Maybe the attacks turned their stomachs too, and it helped crystallize just how wrong terrorism is. It's OK to dislike us or even hate us, but true terrorism is not OK...and apparently by far the majority of the world agrees--including many Arabs and Muslims.

I give Bush an "A" so far on this issue. As I posted months ago, the world should unite to wipe out terrorism. It's truly awful that such a tragedy happened, but maybe more lives will ultimately be saved if the world acts now rather than in a few years (when the attack might potentially be much worse, e.g. nuclear or biological weapons).

Just maybe, too, the unifying force of these current events will spur greater efforts towards Israeli/Palestinian peace. Now wouldn't that be something.

09-20-2001, 10:38 PM
I'm sure glad Gore was not able to steal the Presidential elections. He wouldn't have been able to move the nation and the world the way the great George Bush did. I do not regret having voted for George Bush.

09-20-2001, 11:01 PM
"Maybe the attacks turned their stomachs too, and it helped crystallize just how wrong terrorism is."

Your right, they killed TOO many people! It was a friggin slaughter, and heads must roll. If not? More blood to follow. We're talkin nukes here people. No person, or persons in US of A are safe right now. And if you don't believe me..? Just take a look at the news.

that is all,

dannyboy :o)

09-21-2001, 03:04 AM
As the Taliban appeared to be considering giving up bin-Laden, Bush has now presented them with a "non-negotiable" set of demands which I suspect he knows they will never accept, including the release of all imprisoned foreign nationals and granting America access to suspected terrorist bases.

09-21-2001, 03:46 AM
Why? Because bin-Laden alone is not the solution.

bin-Laden, his lieutenants, and the terrorist training camps...now that's getting closer. Merely capturing bin-Laden himself would hurt, but not decimate, his world-wide organization of terror. Bush realizes this. The Taliban has supported world-wide terror, and now it has to stop. The Taliban can accept this or reject it, but if they reject it, it will be good-bye Taliban. And I say good riddance.

09-21-2001, 04:40 AM

09-21-2001, 02:17 PM
There is no evidence at all that the Taliban have orchestrated anything like a world-wide terror campaign, as you imply. None whatsoever. Certainly, they operate a barbarous regime and they are psychotic fanatics, not unlike some Anabaptists I've met, mind you, but their brand of lunacy is strictly domestic. They don't have the means and they don't have the money to do that.

On the other hand, some interesting leads are surfacing about others folks' involvement in the atack against the U.S., from more able countries. Like Iraq's ex-chief of intelligence, for instance.

...Bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone Age is a misnomer, by the way. Read up some on that country's situation sometime. It's totally squalid. The U.S. might be doing them a favor, opening up roads, digging up land, etc, through the bombs! They'll bomb Afghanistan forward to the Stone Age, see.

09-21-2001, 03:32 PM
I did not intend to imply that the Taliban orchestrated such a campaign themselves. Rather, their support and playing host to bin-Laden and al-Qaeda has done much to enable that organization to flourish. Allowing terrorist training camps within their borders is tantamount to strong indirect participation.

09-21-2001, 04:57 PM
there's nothing indirect about it. If someone is using your home to manufacture and distribute drugs with your knowledge you are an accomplice.

09-21-2001, 10:41 PM
YES!! All 2+2 posters aren't milk sop liberals! They sure do kiss Mason and Slansky's ass though. Jesus, sometimes it gets outright disgusting.

that is all,

dannyboy /images/smile.gif

09-22-2001, 01:00 AM
""There's nothing indirect about it. If someone is using your home to manufacture and distribute drugs with your knowledge you are an accomplice.""

There is no evidence that the Taliban have encouraged or helped bin Laden in his terrorist acts. The record shows, on the contrary, that the Taliban have a very inward, closed way of thinking ("closed" in more ways than one!) and care not one whit about worldly affairs.

While it appears that the bombings in Moscow buildings, which caused hundreds of deaths recently, were the work of Chechen extremists working with Muslim fundamentalists, the Taliban have no track of any "work" abroad. Moreover, their whole ideology, wretched as it is, as a whole, prohibits acts such as the attacks on the U.S.

Intervene, if you will, O World, to save the women of Afghanistan from a fate "worse than death", as they say, which involves clitoridectomies among other niceties, but not to punish the Taliban for aiding & abetting. The Taliban are merely offering refuge to a stranger to who has fought on their side against the Russians, has aided them with huge amounts of money and has guided them in gov't affairs (the Taliban are not sophisticated enough to know even how to hold a tender for gov't purchases!). The fact that the plenum of Taliban clerics has indicated that bin Laden should preferably leave the country, is an astonishing break with the centuries-old rock-solid tradition of offering shelter. It's like Americans agreeing to change the number of the stars in their flag.

09-22-2001, 09:40 AM
Sadly, they will soon learn they should have been a bit more concerned about worldy affairs.

They must have known what terrorist training camps on their soil were all about. Maybe they didn't care one way or the other, but they must have known they were facilitating terrorism, even indirectly.

09-24-2001, 11:31 AM
What makes you so certain? Their involvement is exhaustive depicted on CNN?

Please understand, that while we only get a fraction of the picture, the government's view is certainly a massively larger fraction.

09-24-2001, 12:02 PM
The Taliban are dirt poor. They are illiterate and unsophisticated. Afghanistan does not have a proper pot to piss in, let alone the infrastructure and the background necessary to organize something like the hijackings.

Osama bin Laden personally could have more money, equipment and sophisticated guys at this disposal than the whole of the Afghani government!

I missed what was "depicted" on CNN. But I can't see how any prof can be "depicted" yet on TV, even less so "exhaustively". I go by logic.

(The media seems to be fixated on the Taliban somehow, while the news that come talk about suspects arrested as sleepers & operatives, who are anything but Afghani.)

09-24-2001, 12:15 PM
...is that you, I and everyone else without an intelligence apparatus at their disposal is at an informational disadvantage. I find it difficult to be absolute when so much is closed to me. I don't even know what it is I don't know. I just know that I don't.