PDA

View Full Version : Free showodown raise: AQs

donger
06-05-2005, 03:20 AM
This was a 5/10 BB jackpot table gone short. I had been watching this guy all night and he would try to outplay his opponents in almost every pot. I watched him jam the turn with J7 on a Q84(7) board. He seemd to be putting in lots of bets and raises with unreasonable hands. This guy really defines 'donkey' by being overly aggro in all the wrong places.

Also, here's an argument that PT stats aren't always accurate. He was 22/3/1.86 (mostly full ring).

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>?

Questions:
Do you guys think the best line here is to just look this shitbird up?

Should I raise with likely the best hand and try to set up a free showdown if I don't improve? Does the risk of being 3-bet and bet into again on the river make this a bad line?

Also, what about the merits of capping the turn for a free-showdown if three-bet? I could easily have the best hand.

Subfallen
06-05-2005, 04:45 AM
I like calling down best here, mostly because villian can go crazy with one-pair hands and is very unlikely to stop bluffing.

Edited to add: a key premise behind the free showdown raise is you lose the same when behind as if you had called down. This will not be the case here. If you're behind on the turn, you pay 3 bets instead of 1. If he calls with a six out hand and hits (13% of the time), the river won't go check-check as much as you would like.

Nonetheless, you could raise the turn for value if villain is sufficiently crazy. I guess.

Jeff W
06-05-2005, 05:14 AM
This is a classic example of misusing the free showdown raise. You're asking to get outplayed here unless he is even nuttier than your post implies.

spydog
06-05-2005, 05:14 AM
Call down. Let him bluff away when you have a decent holding (like here), but punish him with raises when you are strong.

donger
06-05-2005, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a classic example of misusing the free showdown raise. You're asking to get outplayed here unless he is even nuttier than your post implies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I realized that after the fact. I was committed to showdown with this hand, so all I did was make it more expensive to get there by risking being three-bet.

Can you point me at some better examples of the free showdown raise in action? What player type is most susceptible to this?