PDA

View Full Version : Success in MTTs

Scruff McGruff
06-05-2005, 02:48 AM
I play a lot of MTTs, usually 10+1 or 20+2 NLH. As far as basic strategies go, I have a pretty good feel for the game. I play pretty conservatively early, waiting for solid starting hands and playing them aggressively, otherwise pretty much staying out of the way. However, I often find that later in many tournaments I am forced to make a move with a marginal hand because of my low to lower-mid-sized chip stack, and hardly ever find myself as a chip leader. I am not throwing money away on marginal hands and I don't feel that I am playing scared. I was just wondering if anyone could throw me some tips or strategies as far as picking up valuable chips and thriving in multi-table tournaments. Thanks.

danger_mouse
06-05-2005, 03:23 AM
Well, first of all, read as much as you can in these forums. They've helped me immensely. I play the same level MTTs as you with profitable success. However,like you, I used to have problems keeping ahead of the blind escalations.

1) You will rarely make final tables (IMHO) simply by playing solid poker. Good hands don't come around enough. And they don't always hold up. A few well-timed bluffs and/or resteals are imperative to building your stack.

Example: In todays 20 +2 on Stars, an aggressive big stack kept raising to my right late in tournament. Usually he did this when I was on the button, the SB or CO +1. I lowered my reraise range because of this and fired back at an opportune moment stealing his chips and those of a weak tight limper (my hand was a measly A7). This move was less about my cards, and more about seizing and open opportunity. If you can't see and exploit these, you will have a hard time beind successful. Practice, but don't think you're Gus Hansen.

2) On a related note, always keep an eye on average chips stack. If you aren't at, or above that, you need to amp up the aggression.

3) Don't be afraid to push coin flips or small edges-- especially once you've fallen behind average stack. You must accumulate chips to survive. I'd much rather go out on a coin flip 88 vs AQ, then be blinded out with Q7o.

Example: You've pegged a player as having slightly weak raising standards, but who also has a tendency to call. Let's say this player raises 5Xbb from early or middle position (displaying weakness). Your hand 77, 88 (maybe even 66). If you are hurting for chips, here is your opportunity to double up or at least capture the raisers 5BB. If you have late position, or better yet it is folded to you in the BB, PUSH. Most of the time, you will be against non-paired paint. 54% of the time when called, you'll double up.

4) Blind stealing. I'd be willing to bet money that you aren't stealing enough. Don't always pick on the same blinds. Mix up your raises. But do it more. If you are at 8-11 BB, push to steal blinds.

5) Don't be afraid to follow up a pre-flop raise with a bet when the field has checked to you and you've missed the flop. Be wise about it. Don't bet a scary flop, but don't be afraid. You might even have the best hand. Likewise, don't be afraid to re-raise a tricky player if you suspect he is trying to steal the flop from you-- especially if you have outs.

Everything I've listed here is about being more aggressive and taking more risks, but you have to be reasonable. Pick your spots. Label your opponents. Exploit the weak tight players. Lay traps and resteals for the LAGs.

Scruff McGruff
06-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Thank you I will definitely give all of that a try.

Jurollo
06-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Look in the archives though, most of the advice floating around here nowadays is generally crap sans a few good posters.
~Justin

TheTimeIsUp
06-05-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look in the archives though, most of the advice floating around here nowadays is generally crap sans a few good posters.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. A lot of noobs trying to give advice, even though they have no idea what they are talking about.