PDA

View Full Version : reining myself in...

wuwei
06-05-2005, 02:11 AM
PS 25+2 turbo.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t1355)
Button (t2720)
Hero (t1900)
BB (t1235)
UTG (t3385)
MP1 (t1140)
MP2 (t1765)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, BB calls t200, MP2 calls t200.

Flop: (t900) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks...

Scuba Chuck
06-05-2005, 02:15 AM
Man, I neither like it nor dislike it. This is an easy check/fold if an ace hits. What will make this more of a challenge is if BB checks, and MP2 bets half pot or more. Then ur in that stupid sandwich thing, which always pushes me to fold. Folding here is not such a terrible choice, IMO.

Scuba

bluefeet
06-05-2005, 02:19 AM
i would advocate pushing PF, or limping (i would limp). a 'standard' representation of your PF raise is close to impossible to make in this position, with overs on the board. and unfortunatly your raise was too small to get big-chip botton to drop (not to mention BB).

if reason says you can only proceed on an 'over free' flop, why not get to that point as cheaply as possible?

OR.....don't see a flop (push/raise double what you did).

this hand? check/fold. assuming you can only afford a probe/semi-continuation bet, you might also assume you'll get called.....then what? heck with it, check/fold.

bluefeet
06-05-2005, 02:24 AM
sorry, i missed that you did check. if it checks around and the turn is 'safe' - or someone weakly stabs at it?? that is a tough one /images/graemlins/frown.gif push?? tiz the reason i just assume to not have the 'lead' with the preflop riase. might be one of those hands that's easier to play from behind the action...

wuwei
06-05-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry, i missed that you did check. if it checks around and the turn is 'safe' - or someone weakly stabs at it?? that is a tough one /images/graemlins/frown.gif push?? tiz the reason i just assume to not have the 'lead' with the preflop riase. might be one of those hands that's easier to play from behind the action...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I think limping here sucks. Your hand is too good, and there's no reason to give the BB a free look at the flop. A raise typically gets you HU out of position with a strong made hand against a limper. I can handle that. The size of my pf raise is certainly up for the debate though. Unfortunately, the BB didn't cooperate by folding.

I've been trying to watch myself the past couple days on my continuation/probe betting. I don't tilt that often, but I've found the biggest way I do tilt is by overplaying myself in situations like this. I have a good hand but miss the flop, or my hand is good but the flop is a little scary. I go on crazy monkey tilt betting when I shouldn't be trying to bulldoze my way through. Inevitably, this doesn't work out so hot... sigh. And yah, the past couple days have been a touch tilty.

So, I've been reining myself in. However, I wasn't so sure about this one. The Q isn't *that* scary of a card. A bet of 400 or so won't cripple me, and it must have a decent chance of taking down the pot on the flop. However, the board does contain a flush draw, and I'll have no idea if a call means a draw or a made hand. That makes the turn difficult to play out of position.

So, I checked. The BB pushed, MP folded, and I folded as well. Oh bother.

KSKevin
06-05-2005, 05:06 PM
I agree that you definately should raise preflop, but I think you should bet more than 300. You dont really want to be out of position with JJ and two callers, so a bigger raise would have likely shut the BB out of the hand. A raise to 450 or 500 would have put a lot of pressure on the BB (with only 1235), and he would need to either push or fold. Of course you're not really worried about the BB before the flop in this hand, but a larger raise would also tighten the range of hands that the limper would call with, which is definately a good thing with JJ.