PDA

View Full Version : It's hard for me to see the difference between good and bad passivity

JoshuaD
06-05-2005, 01:33 AM
No reads this hand.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.66 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 4.66 BB

Anyone continue to bet this turn? Anyone value bet this river?

I'm trying to stop blindly continue betting these turns, so bear with me if I post up some passive stuff.

aK13
06-05-2005, 01:35 AM
I'd probably fire another one on the turn, and then check the river.

EDIT: if somebody bet into you on a blank, are you folding or calling down? or check/raised on the flop?

molawn2mo
06-05-2005, 01:41 AM
I don't make this play preflop unless I have TAG image established.

Yes, even though MP2 limp is quite likely a sign of a weak player (if that was your thinking), still fold preflop.

As played, flop, turn and river are fine.

Buckmulligan
06-05-2005, 01:53 AM
Josh- Sorry to hijack this, but I'm bored and thought i'd ask a dumb question. I currently vaccilate between 2/4 and 3/6, and haven't been playing either that long. Is there a reason taht I should fear 3/6? I only have about 700 hands there.

JoshuaD
06-05-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't make this play preflop unless I have TAG image established.

Yes, even though MP2 limp is quite likely a sign of a weak player (if that was your thinking), still fold preflop.

As played, flop, turn and river are fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've talked about this sort of preflop raise before, I think it's definitely +EV, without any sort of image established.

You often times get it HU to the flop with a villian playing fit or fold -- you've got a ton of fold equity. Sometimes it backfires on you and you end up 5 way raised with a less than savory hand, but you can drop out pretty easy there, and you do sometimes catch a flop.

I usually only do it when the limper is loose, I like it even more when they're not aggressive.

JoshuaD
06-05-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Josh- Sorry to hijack this, but I'm bored and thought i'd ask a dumb question. I currently vaccilate between 2/4 and 3/6, and haven't been playing either that long. Is there a reason taht I should fear 3/6? I only have about 700 hands there.

[/ QUOTE ]

2/4 to 3/6 is the biggest jump I've made so far. I still don't 8-table 3/6 during the daytime, it's just not fishy enough.

I'd spend some time at 2/4, establish yourself there, get comfortable, then start coming into 3/6 during the prime nights.

I split up my daily hands between 2/4 and 3/6, I wouldn't play 3/6 if I couldn't 8-table it at night. Don't feel rushed to move up.

JoshuaD
06-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Shameless bump.

cockandbull
06-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Here are my thoughts on this,

Preflop - good,
flop - good,
turn - i'd also check.
river - i'd bet here, i'd also call a bet if bet into.

mister
06-05-2005, 12:48 PM
would a player with an ace or 2 pair not raise us on that flop ? I'm thinking the only hand you're worried about on the flop (the way it played out) is JT, or KX (with X being crap). But the problem is if you take your foot of the gas on the turn, KX is probably calling your river bet.

By the turn I'm sure there's no JT, they straight would have tried to get paid there.

So by the river I'm thinking a missed draw and maybe Kx. But like I said, when you took your foot off the gas on the turn, I think KX is calling your value bet. That having been said, it won't always be KX, and you'll be on the right end of the money scale with a value bet. And of course folding to a reraise...

Isura
06-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Preflop is fine. Folding this is way too tight.
Good flop bet. Excellent turn check. I'm tempted to bet the river, but it's really thin. Checking seems fine.

Guruman
06-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I think betting the river would be a really poor play here. Anyone with an A or K will pay off, and some stronger Q's will pay a bet here too. I don't see anyone with less than that (like A high or low pair) really sticking around here. Maaaybe the low pair if he's loose and looks at the turn check-through as weakness.

Also, what's the line when it gets raised back to you? What if you have to overcall a raise?

It's not a value bet, and not an effective spot to bluff. It doesn't gain enough when you're ahead, it just costs you when you're behind.

bobbyi
06-05-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think betting the river would be a really poor play here. Anyone with an A or K will pay off, and some stronger Q's will pay a bet here too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Stronger Q's /images/graemlins/confused.gif?

Lurker4
06-05-2005, 02:45 PM
PF is good, flop is good. against two flop callers, I think you're likely behind on the turn and drawing to a Q/J/T, so the checkthrough is fine. Against one flop caller its a bit closer to betting. River is fine, i think its close but I'm still checking through.

speirs
06-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I'd check the turn too and bet the river.

QTip
06-05-2005, 05:22 PM
PF - I raise this somewhere in the area of 100% of the time.

Flop - fine

Turn - I bet again. I think you have to remember that people will call anywhere with a gutshot.

River - check it if folks are still around.

shant
06-05-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm betting the turn here. What were you doing if you checked and one of them bet that river? I think not betting the turn makes that decision tougher.